Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window Maker is not dead :)

Beans

Window Maker is not dead :)

Hmm, I always thought the project has come to it's demise, but apparently not.
    They had a new release at the start of the year, and just recently some bug fixes to that release.

http://windowmaker.org/news.php

PS: I'll probably get some nice flames down my way but am I the only one that thinks Unity is a modern interpretarion of Wmaker?

Beans

Re: Window Maker is not dead :)

Sweet! I love WM.. My fist Window Manager for linux when I started years ago!
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The "Dock" is an invention for Nextstep, the ui window maker clones. And yes, its originally conceived to be vertical and squared, but its not a vertical panel, rather independent square icons grouped together.

The Nextstep ui also provided other advantages such as "tear" menus (like gimp used to have), this is also emulated for the apps menu in wmaker.

Unfortunately Precise only has version 0.95.0, when .3 is already out with many bug fixes.

It's been a while but i used wmaker a lot many years ago across various distros. I see they are adding new futures such as half maximize, and mac style window cycling.

There is a ppa for .2 here: https://launchpad.net/~profzoom/+archive/wmaker

This is a wonderful thing in this myriad of nonsense desktops coming out, time for a revisit...
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans

I still use WindowMaker from time to time. The main difficulty for many people, I suspect, is WM's default aesthetics. You can make something nice with it, though. Here is a recent screen shot from my WM setup.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by urukrama View Post
    I still use WindowMaker from time to time. The main difficulty for many people, I suspect, is WM's default aesthetics. You can make something nice with it, though. Here is a recent screen shot from my WM setup.

That looks amazing for a Wmaker desktop! Congrats
    And I agree, the default setup can be very off-putting.

Glad to see there's some Wmaker love left around. This is the WM I use and used on all my BSD desktops. It just feels like BSD for me, because the first contact I had with it was on a FreeBSD a long time ago.
    On Ubuntu I made the switch to KDE and now I might jump on the Unity boat though, but resuming development on Wmaker is great news.

/me waits patiently for plasma-like dock and widgets
    Last edited by Brimwylf; June 23rd, 2012 at 09:41 AM.

Beans

One thing I loved about WM was it was so easy to custom theme up. Plus (GKrellm) Krell Monitor worked great with it.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    One thing I loved about WM was it was so easy to custom theme up. Plus (GKrellm) Krell Monitor worked great with it.
    Somehow, GKrellm looks like it was made for Wmaker. I used it on other desktops too (under Openbox and even Ratpoison), but it just doesn't feel right.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by urukrama View Post

Wow! It's amazing! I'm trying to get someting usefull based on window maker for the past two weeks but can't figure out how to compile the DockApps nor can find their binary packages. Searching on google I stumbled into this page and see your amazing looking screenshot!

Can you share what you're using to produce this visual?

Beans

I remember using something like Window Maker along time ago. Tried getting back into it, but I kept using GNOME 2. Now with Unity and GNOME 3 I've moved onto XMonad full time. Maybe I'll give Window Maker another shot some day. Anyhow it's nice to hear it's living and breathing!

Beans

I have tried windowmaker, its nice but can be a pain to set up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast