Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on all my pc's in our college.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu on all my pc's in our college.

We in our engineering college are using cent os as server and fedora as client os's..when i asked hod why we were not using Ubuntu,he said "we don't get all packages in Ubuntu by default but in fedora we get almost many of them."..and friend the installation size of fedora s more including all packages by default.
    i need to manage our lab from next year but i'm not so familiar with rpm based distros..s there anyway(best way) to instal all these packages by default?or i can even try making a custom .iso by searching all packages i need..but i wonder if there was anything lik the fedora thing.
    i need to convince him n install ubuntu there so pls help me out guys.
    thanx in advance
    Last edited by thomsebastin; June 22nd, 2012 at 05:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Ubuntu on all my pc's in our college.

You can use uck to make a custom Ubuntu .iso, installing packages into the image using Synaptic.

However, the reasons for using Fedora is rather ridiculous. Does your college have Internet connection?

EDIT: Of course, if you don't have permissions to do so, then I don't think you should replace the computers' OS with Ubuntu. If you college is fine using Fedora, then maybe you don't need to replace 'em. Just read up on how to use a rpm system.
    Last edited by zombifier25; June 22nd, 2012 at 04:54 AM.

Beans

Personally, I'd learn Fedora, although there's no reason you can't dual boot Ubuntu as well. I know at my nephew's University, the engineering department is running Red Hat, you're going to find a lot of that in the workplace as well. It would be to your advantage to become comfortable using Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora as well. Colleges and businesses use it because it's stable andhas a long release cycle.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    You can use uck to make a custom Ubuntu .iso, installing packages into the image using Synaptic.

However, the reasons for using Fedora is rather ridiculous. Does your college have Internet connection?

EDIT: Of course, if you don't have permissions to do so, then I don't think you should replace the computers' OS with Ubuntu. If you college is fine using Fedora, then maybe you don't need to replace 'em. Just read up on how to use a rpm system.
    Yes we've internet connection 24*7 .Ubuntu is my favorite,so i wanted it to be used there(except for servers since there r many important files in it.)..he has given me permission to make a custom iso so that we can use it in many pc's..i'll look forward to it.
    what s d actual reason as to y Ubuntu is not providing those by default?any issue with patent o anything lik that?i wish there was one such for Ubuntu too.
    thanx for d response bro.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by waynefoutz View Post
    Personally, I'd learn Fedora, although there's no reason you can't dual boot Ubuntu as well. I know at my nephew's University, the engineering department is running Red Hat, you're going to find a lot of that in the workplace as well. It would be to your advantage to become comfortable using Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora as well. Colleges and businesses use it because it's stable andhas a long release cycle.
    Oh then i should probably start using fedora/cent ..i think learning it won't be of much difficulty since i'm good with my Ubuntu..(everything has a learning curve at d beginning though..'ll be happy to learn that)..s there anyway now for me to generate a txt file from the fedora to see all the packages that r installed in it?there should be a way right?(like listing all of em using a script o somethin else)
    Last edited by thomsebastin; June 22nd, 2012 at 05:19 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by thomsebastin View Post
    what s d actual reason as to y Ubuntu is not providing those by default?any issue with patent o anything lik that?i wish there was one such for Ubuntu too.
    you never mentioned what packages you need. you just said packages. as i know fedora has only free packages by default so if you ask me they probabyl have less packages available on install then Ubuntu.

since we don't know what packages would be missing (and that you need) it is hard to give any advice on that.

besides if it exists for rhel or fedora it probably exists for Ubuntu as well (either as .deb or PPA). if not there, then there is a source code that can be compiled.

yes you can make a custom copy of ubuntu (remastersys...)
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    ... If you college is fine using Fedora, then maybe you don't need to replace 'em. Just read up on how to use a rpm system.
    Totally +1 that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

I'd make myself an account at fedora forums - or rather you should - I did

You'll find a great deal of information and help there as you do here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Fedora is badass, it's well worth getting used to.

Beans

So you are wanting to replace the operating system on the PCs of an entire department just because you don't have experience with the existing one? Presumably people use them for actual work and are now somewhat used to Fedora. Just learn to use it, it's a fantastic operating system and, as others have said, Red Hat and Fedora are frequently used in IT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast