Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Running 12.04 on Lenovo T520

Beans

Trouble Running 12.04 on Lenovo T520

Hi all,
    I am at my wits end, I was hoping I could get some support on setting up my 12.04 correctly. I am going to write up my approach in hopes of getting support from the community... or developers.

Install Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit on T520
    - 1) Prepare T520 for Ubuntu.
    - - a) Set graphics card as Discrete Only (turns off Optimus)
    - - b) Disable OS detection as well
    - 2) Insert 12.04 64 bit disk, and begin install
    - - a) hangs if no user input, attempts to start ubuntu without success
    - - - i) Press any button when you see the screen turn purple, a language menu pops up.
    - - b) At language menu, press Esc, press "Install Ubuntu". Hangs with a black screen, blinking cursor at top left.
    - - - i) Turned off my computer for a while, tried again. It worked (strange inconsistency)
    - - - ii) T520 is attached to a dock, could that be the problem? Notice that its working on my external monitor.
    - - c) Ubuntu starts loading, reach a black screen ... nothing on any monitor.
    - - - i) Hold power button, turn off pc (the only way to deal with all the errors I am going to encounter.)
    - - - ii) Remove T520 from dock, attack eth cable and power cable to it. Trying to do step (a) ... keyboard doesn't respond, stuck at black screen with blinking cursor, powercycling (again)
    - - d) Trying again, removing external keyboard, keyboard responds, "Install Ubuntu", blinking cursor again black screen, nothing happens, power cycling again.
    - - - i) After letting it sit turned off for around 1 minute, attempt (d) again, blinking cursor at black screen again, but this time it continues.
    - - e) Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit finally loads from the Live CD ... took me around 6 attempts and 3 power cycles, but hey... we got there
    - - - i) Dont be connected to a dock
    - - - ii) If you want your keyboard to respond, don't have an external keyboard attached
    - - f) Ubuntu installing...
    - - - i) Installing on an ext4 partition, using / as mount point
    - - g) 12.04 Booted successfully.

Running Ubuntu 12.04 On T520
    - 1) I would like to get consistent boot ups and restarts... thus
    - - i) Note, I upgraded the kernel image and header first through the update manager ... some threads noted more stability.
    - - ii) Performing requested restart from update manager... Failure. Stuck on purple screen after selecting new kernel in grub
    - - iii) Power cycling again, adding "nomodeset" through grub edit, pressing ctrl-x ... Failure. Blinking cursor top left of screen.
    - - iv) Power cycling again. Waiting 2 minutes. Selecting kernel ... Successfully booted into Ubuntu 12.04.
    - - v) Shutdown computer from inside 12.04. Booting again immediately... Success (splash screen was messed up though)
    - - vi) Restarting computer from inside 12.04... Failed. Stuck on purple screen again. Power cycling.
    - - vii) Waiting a few minutes before powering on.... Failed. Stuck on blinking cursor. Power cycling.
    - - viii) Didn't wait at all this time, went to blinking cursor and worked.
    - 2) Attached my lenovo back to its dock. It froze. Power cycling.
    - - i) Initial power cycle works! Plymouth screen is messed up.
    - - ii) With the dock on, one of my displays showed the ubuntu desktop at a terrible resolution. Went to displays in settings, it found my monitors set them at 1920x1080 for both... apply, nothing. I get black screens on both. Power cycling again. (Nice trend yeah?)
    - - iii) Boot up failed, stuck at purple screen on laptop monitor. Power cycling. (still attached to dock, external monitors not getting signals.)
    - - iv) Boot up failed, stuck at black screen with blinking cursor. Power cycling.
    - - v) Boot up successful, but again I'm stuck with two black screens... I guess I messed up my xorg.conf. Power cycling.
    - - vi) Boot successfully into recovery mode, and "Resume boot." Installing the ppa drivers in hopes of running 12.04 with two monitors.
    - - vii)Boot failed, stuck on purple screen... Power cycling.
    - - viii) Booted successfully. So I set double monitors using sudo nvidia-settings. Also added nomodeset in GFX_MODE_DEFAULT_LINUX
    - - ix) Booted failed, stuck at purple screen. Power cycling.
    - - x) Booted failed, stuck at cursor blinking screen. Power cycling.
    - - xi) Boot successful. Didn't save my double monitor configuration though.
    Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; June 21st, 2012 at 07:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Trouble Running 12.04 on Lenovo T520

maybe you can mail this lucky user with the same hardware:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1999612

and/or follow different options to boot:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BootOptions

but you have not said how you have installed the system, specially which partition format is used (ext4 ?)

Beans

Thank you for your response. I made some further attempts, and examined my xorg log file. The graphics driver is apparently having trouble, and can't find the NVidia device.
    Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; June 21st, 2012 at 07:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

nowadays the kernel directly deal with X, so often an old xorg.conf conflict and give unexpected issues.

from synaptic:
    - purge All the installed graphic drivers
    - reinstall the one you need

from a terminal:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf*

sudo shutdown -R now

Beans

Hey Dino99 once, again I appreciate the response... 11.10 is doing the same exact **** (pardon my french.) So I'm going to attempt this from scratch and write it up for other poor Lenovo users.

As of right now I am staring a 12.04 64 bi Install on my Lenovo

The current problem: Immediately, the Live CD does not work. I have to press a button and see the LIveCD menu. Then I set nomodeset. Press "Install Ubuntu" hangs on a black screen with white cursor.
    Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; June 21st, 2012 at 07:02 PM.

Beans

I am currently stuck on Installing Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit on my laptop, could anyone offer some advice? My top post is outlining my current state .... currently I am sitting around waiting hoping that if I let it sit long enough ... something will happen.

Edit: Okay apparently, sitting around for 1 minute with the computer off worked ... Why?
    Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; June 21st, 2012 at 06:17 PM.

Beans

Hi all, after installing and upgrading my 12.04, I cannot consistently boot into the kernel anymore. I am stuck on a blank purple screen after the grub selection. Could anyone offer some advice on what to do next?

My steps so far have been outlined above in my first post... This is a fresh install, nothing proprietary.
    Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; June 21st, 2012 at 07:01 PM.

Beans

Could anyone give me some advice on where I can find error messages that would relate to my problems so I can start somewhere and tackle my problems? The only solution I have so far is power cycling, and that's obviously not healthy. Thank you.

Beans

Awesome, thanks for the help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do not power cycle, remember the elephants.

Holding down Alt and SysRq (which is the Print Screen key) while slowly typing REISUB
    R-E-I-S-U-B to force shutdown
    A good way to remember it is.
    Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring ...or
    Reboot System Even If Ultimately Broken ...LOL.
    http://kember.net/articles/reisub-th...linux-restart/

Often nomodeset or other kernal parameters are required.

How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    I had to do this with my Nvidia 9600GT:
    To install Ubuntu, boot from the cd press any key at accessibility circle and keyboard, press F6 and then select the nomodeset option.
    USB boot - At the menu press tab on the first option to edit the boot options and replaced the 'splash' option with 'nomodeset'.
    then
    On first boot after install, press e on getting the GRUB bootloader.
    Hold shift from BIOS boot to get menu if only one system installed.
    Using arrow keys navigate to and delete quiet and splash and type the word nomodeset in their place
    Press Ctrl and X to boot (low graphics mode), install nVidia driver suggested my Ubuntu
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast