Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HUD not working for Google Chrome? Is this normal

Beans

HUD not working for Google Chrome? Is this normal

Hud won't work for google chrome. Is this normal and what apps will hud work with?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: HUD not working for Google Chrome? Is this normal

Quote Originally Posted by excetara2 View Post
    Hud won't work for google chrome. Is this normal and what apps will hud work with?
    what are you trying to do?
    if chrome is installed and you type google-chrome is should launch it.

I personally use Chromium-browser it's in the ubuntu repository and works just as well as Chrome IMHO.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

Yeah, I know about chromium. I mean the menu items working like in firefox? I'll see if they work in chromium.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kc1di View Post
    what are you trying to do?
    if chrome is installed and you type google-chrome is should launch it.

I personally use Chromium-browser it's in the ubuntu repository and works just as well as Chrome IMHO.
    HUD and Dash are different.

Dash is, among other things, for launching programs as you describe.

HUD is for easy access to menu items within a launched program and is most useful for deeply nested menu items (IMO).

Preference for Chromium-browser is not relevant and could lead to a whole A versus B type of thread rather than addressing OP's query.

Beans

Yes, HUD is for menu items like being able to close chrome or look at extensions or opening a new tab or etc...

Like in firefox you can type source or new tab to perform these menu actions. It doesn't recognize the chrome menu items when I've seen on some websites that it is supposed to be able to. Neither chrome nor chromium works in this regard as I've installed both to check. I've noticed it seems to only work with apps that integrate into the global menu.

Is there a way to get chrome working or is it supposed to work is my question??

Beans

I did uninstall the global menu at first install but now I have reinstalled it if that makes a difference.

Beans

I just logged into Unity 3D and HUD does work for Chrome. I'm on the latest Chrome stable
    Code:
    Google Chrome	19.0.1084.56 (Official Build 140965)
    OS	Linux
    WebKit	536.5 (@119244)
    JavaScript	V8 3.9.24.29
    Flash	11.2 r202
    For example, after pressing the left alt key and typing file, I see options that involve File such as Open File, File Print, File New Tab, etc.

Beans

It doesn't work on mine. I have the latest chromium and google-chrome-beta (revision 20 something) because just to see if it would work. I did have google-chrome-stable prior which was that revision I believe. Any advice to look at why it's not work and what to do to get it working?? Can this be turned off? Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help of chrome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by excetara2 View Post
    It doesn't work on mine. I have the latest chromium and google-chrome-beta (revision 20 something) because just to see if it would work. I did have google-chrome-stable prior which was that revision I believe. Any advice to look at why it's not work and what to do to get it working?? Can this be turned off? Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help of chrome.
    Sorry, I don't have any ideas. Does HUD work for you with other programs? Did it work with Chrome at any time for you?

As for turning it off, I've mostly found ways to disable the key that activates HUD. But preventing the HUD service from actually running, which it will do even if its key is disabled, is more complicated and I haven't looked at that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    HUD and Dash are different.

Dash is, among other things, for launching programs as you describe.

HUD is for easy access to menu items within a launched program and is most useful for deeply nested menu items (IMO).

Preference for Chromium-browser is not relevant and could lead to a whole A versus B type of thread rather than addressing OP's query.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast