Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installed video card, wrecked x-windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installed video card, wrecked x-windows

This might not be the best advice, but is it possible you could just use the open source driver in this situation? It'll be slower than using Fglrx, but the 4000 series ATI cards have overall great support for the default driver.

It should also allow you to do basic 3d gaming as well; with a low end ATI/AMD card, I'm assuming gaming wasn't your goal anyway. There are some PPAs that keep your graphics in sync with upstream, too.

Beans

Re: Installed video card, wrecked x-windows

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    This might not be the best advice, but is it possible you could just use the open source driver in this situation? It'll be slower than using Fglrx, but the 4000 series ATI cards have overall great support for the default driver.

It should also allow you to do basic 3d gaming as well; with a low end ATI/AMD card, I'm assuming gaming wasn't your goal anyway. There are some PPAs that keep your graphics in sync with upstream, too.
    In the original post, I stated that I used the open source driver. None of the ATI drivers that I tried worked well. They all cause lagginess, prevented video files from displaying, and overall poor performance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12