Thread: MacBook Pro 8, 1 with Ubuntu 12.04 suspend/resume problem

Beans

MacBook Pro 8, 1 with Ubuntu 12.04 suspend/resume problem

Hi *

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my MacBook Pro 8, 1 when it was released. It has been working well overall, but I have a problem when it comes to suspend and resume operations.

When instructed to (by the closing of the lid etc.), the laptop suspends most of the time. When an attempt is made to resume the laptop, the laptop does appear to make some attempt at coming back to life, but the screen most often remains dark. This often results in my manually shutting the machine by the power button and rebooting. This dark screen (no backlight visible) effect happens most times an attempt to resume is made.

Would anyone have any idea how to approach this problem? I've searched for information on it and I'm just not sure...

Many preemptive thanks for any assistance

Beans

Re: MacBook Pro 8, 1 with Ubuntu 12.04 suspend/resume problem

Exact same issue with Macbook Pro 9, 1. I haven't found a solution yet but I will reply here if I do. I had to change my power settings to Do Nothing when I shut the lid for now. Not a great solution yet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Talking Re: MacBook Pro 8, 1 with Ubuntu 12.04 suspend/resume problem

I have suspend issues with an older HP desktop computer. The only advice I could find was to update the BIOS software. I am not comfortable messing around with that stuff as I do not wish to turn my desktop into a 25lb paper weight . However, if you have the experience and are comfortable with such things, it may be a route to try.

Since Ubuntu tends to start up pretty fast, I just turn if off instead of suspending.