Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Math Type for Linux?

Beans

Math Type for Linux?

I'm on the verge of making the switch to Linux from Windows but have encountered a possible roadblock.

I use LaTeX on Windows (MikTeX + TexnicCenter) and use MathType to symbolically produce equations. MathType allows one to highlight and right click the equation, then paste the converted to LaTeX equation into any document. In other words, I can symbolically type out equations and then paste the resulting LaTeX code into my LaTeX IDE of choice because MathType converts the symbols into LaTeX code automatically.

I was wondering if there are any options in Ubuntu or Kubuntu that allows the symbolic creation of equations and then allows conversion into LaTeX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans

Re: Math Type for Linux?

I think the OpenOffice Equation package may be what you are looking for. Check the repos for it.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Thanks for the help ...but repos?

I know that OOWriter exports to LaTex but I'm not sure that this would be a good solution.

Beans

You need to check out LyX. Best writing tool I've come across. There is also a plugin for OOWriter which will allow you to type LaTeX equations and embed them into a document. Its not symbolic however. You have to type raw LaTeX. LyX does have a nice gui for entering equations.

Beans

He's not asking for a latex writer.

He's asking for a software that converts symbolically typed math into latex code. Mathtype is a great software, and i use it too.

I could not find any good replacements on ubuntu. and you wouldnt want to learn all the keyboard shortcuts all over again anw. the best solution i found was to install Wine (a program that lets u run simple windows programs on linux) and just install mathtype on wine. you get the exact same interface. everything is the same, besides the fact that you can't insert equations into MS word.

to install wine, just

sudo apt-get install wine

Beans

Actually, I think I may have answered my own question, although I cannot verify at this time because I'm using various Live CD versions of various Linux Distributions...just to be sure Ubuntu is the best

KOffice has a component called KWord which apparently has a built in formula editor called KFormula which will allow symbolic expression of formulas and then convert these to LaTeX. The KFormula website is here:

http://www.koffice.org/kformula/

If anyone can verify my claim, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks to akimatsu123 for understanding exactly what I'm looking for. I assume that under Wine I simply install that application, run Math Type in that window, and then cut and paste into my LaTeX IDE. Correct?

Again, thanks for the help and I'd appreciate any verification of the KFormula LaTeX export.

Beans

yes. after you install wine, navigate to the install .exe file, right click, and select run with wine windows emulator. it will install the program just like it is in windows. you cna open the program by going under applications --> wine --> programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by akimatsu123 View Post
    everything is the same, besides the fact that you can't insert equations into MS word.
    Very bad indeed... And not only in word, but also in power poing as well...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by akimatsu123 View Post
    He's not asking for a latex writer.

Hthe best solution i found was to install Wine (a program that lets u run simple windows programs on linux) and just install mathtype on wine.

Follow on question - how do you create/edit a mathtype equation in open office writer in Ubuntu?

Thanks

Beans

Am I understanding this correctly?

Mathtype has some menus of symbols etc. and then you drag the ones you want with mouse to form a formula and then mathtype converts them to latex code and you copy that latex code and paste it in a latex document?

This must be the the worst and slowest way of writing latex. The whole point of latex is to get rid of making formulas by hand and you make formulas by hand in order to use them in latex?

What am I missing here?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast