Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Beans

Re: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Hi,
    I have been reading this entire thread for the last couple of days, trying to make my MacBook Pro, 15" Retina (10,1) work with Ubuntu 13.04. Some very useful information here, thanks to all who contributed. Some very technical stuff, especially things tried with old drivers and older kernel versions, prior to page 30, very deep end experimental, did not get most of it. After page 30, it gets more human-readable

Anyway, after trying to install the Nvidia drivers and got them working and then got them broken, I would like to check one important thing:

One of the main problems I run into was "Kernel version and Nvidia Driver version mismatch!". How to avoid this? How do I know that the newest NVidia driver out there is compatible with what I have already installed or have?

For example right now, I started fresh with XUbuntu 13.04, Kernel: 3.8.0-21-generic. I know that there is a new NVidia driver for Linux: 319.17. So do I go with the "./*.run" file approach or do I set-up one of those external repositories, for example "xorg-edgers", what should be the correct approach?

Also, one I install them, how do I ensure that the NVidia drivers will not break with a Kernel update?

Thanks.

Beans

Post Re: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Quote Originally Posted by Symbolix View Post
    "Kernel version and Nvidia Driver version mismatch!". How to avoid this?
    You can't avoid this as long as you decide to compile the driver yourself, so just recompile the driver module ... or use a 'ready-made' driver from a ppa.

How do I know that the newest NVidia driver out there is compatible with what I have already installed or have?
    You don't ... but you can try! With 13.04, the nvidia-current is stable, will work, and requires no particular maintenance on your part, since any driver updates are folded into your general updates, i.e. automated. However, newer versions, say 314, can be expected provide better performance and power-management, and are usually just as stable. Any 'recent releases', such as 319, may still be a bit temperamental at times, but might again improve performance and power-management. Take your pick, it's your choice!

So do I go with the "./*.run" file approach or do I set-up one of those external repositories, for example "xorg-edgers"?
    Unless you have a specific reason why you want to compile the driver yourself, I would recommend using the xorg-edgers repository. Pick the version you want, and simply a run an 'apt-get install ...", just make sure you pull both, the driver and the matching settings module.
    Last edited by MikeBraxner; May 16th, 2013 at 02:01 PM.

Beans

My working graphics switching in ubuntu: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post12650682 .

Thank you gschwind (just realized there's also an 'i' in there, I think I typoed your nick in some places) and also thanks to all others

Beans

Hi,
    Thanks for the help. The reason for me trying to go with 319.17 was that I naively believed that it will help me tweak my resolution?! So after a lot of pain (for some reason all the x-swat and edge reps were still serving the 304) I managed to install the 319.17 driver. As one would expect, there is still nothing in there to fix the crazy resolution of 2880x1800.

So, before switching and etc. I need to be sure that I somehow will be able to solve this problem. The question now is:

What is the unified solution on Ubuntu 13.04 that will help a user to overcome the Small Fonts / Icons etc. problem caused by the native resolution?

I know (from this very forum) that there are Firefox cheats, DPI and screen cheats in Xorg, but does that really work?

Thanks.

Beans

Symbolix ... On Gnome-based DE's (Gnome, Unity, ...) you're more or less stuck with what you've got. You can adjust the font size with Ubuntu-Tweak, or the like, and fiddle with Firefox and Chrome settings, but a true 'scaling' is out. On QT-based DE's (KDE, be:shell) you can properly scale at will through X, via DPI setting or displaysize.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBraxner View Post
    Symbolix ... On Gnome-based DE's (Gnome, Unity, ...) you're more or less stuck with what you've got. You can adjust the font size with Ubuntu-Tweak, or the like, and fiddle with Firefox and Chrome settings, but a true 'scaling' is out. On QT-based DE's (KDE, be:shell) you can properly scale at will through X, via DPI setting or displaysize.
    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for the help. I pushed it to some extend, with the firefox tweaks and DPI settings, but never got it clean as you said. There are always things that will aper small or badly proportioned. Unfortunately, I am running out of time. I have decided to stick to OSX, as I was testing things while trying to make Linux works, and I have found out that %99.9 of what I used will work under OSX with the terminal there. So for now, OSX will be the way to go. But for future reference, by KDE, do you mean Kubuntu? or Fedora? Cause I got KDE on Xubuntu, and it still did not help alot with the resolution?

Thanks.

Beans

There's no perfect solution yet, one of the problems is GTK-based apps, it'll probably take time before gtk is "fixed", not a really a bug but anyway.

I tried KDE and it worked more "out-of-the-box" with the dpi etc, but I immediately ran into the same problems as in XFCE, mainly gtk-based apps, also the icons in systray were too small I think, etc etc.

Beans

Looks like Firefox's menus not working -bug with about:config / devPixelsfoo has been fixed in the current raring-updates official package. Just thought I'd report here if someone's using the alpha / beta versions because of that

Beans

Symbolix ... By 'KDE' I mean precisely that - the K Desktop Environment, aka KDE. Kubuntu is nothing more than the Ubuntu distribution, using KDE as the Desktop Environment. Xubuntu is the ubuntu distribution using the Xfce desktop environment. What you most likely saw, where a number of KDE-Applications running under Xfce, not the KDE. You might want to give KDE a try, or if you prefer something 'leaner', have a look at be:shell, i.e. 'KDE without the plasma desktop'.

ksata1 ... If the 'systray icons' where not the size you liked, why didn't you just enlarge the systray-size? Just hit the little yellow 'bean', take a hold of where it says 'height' and adjust it to whatever you like.

As to the GTK-based apps being 'fixed' ... I think you can just about forget it. The problem has been around for years, and has been pretty much ignored/denied by developers and users alike. There was some hope with Wayland, but that has since been culled by canonical in favor of Mir, the 'next great step' in making your computer appear more like a TV or 'smartphone' ... i.e. with an interface for idiots ... sorry ... sore subject ... I'm totally prejudiced ... still right, though ...
    Last edited by MikeBraxner; May 19th, 2013 at 06:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBraxner View Post
    ksata1 ... If the 'systray icons' where not the size you liked, why didn't you just enlarge the systray-size? Just hit the little yellow 'bean', take a hold of where it says 'height' and adjust it to whatever you like.
    Thanks for the tip. I might try KDE again one day

As to the GTK-based apps being 'fixed' ... I think you can just about forget it. The problem has been around for years, and has been pretty much ignored/denied by developers and users alike. There was some hope with Wayland, but that has since been culled by canonical in favor of Mir, the 'next great step' in making your computer appear more like a TV or 'smartphone' ... i.e. with an interface for idiots ... sorry ... sore subject ... I'm totally prejudiced ... still right, though ...
    Heh, yeah I've been thinking I'll just move to bare X or something, I use the keyboard 99% of the time anyway

It's quite surprising that the whole DPI thing has been pretty much ignored so long.. Even in OS X for example Picasa either has "right-size" buttons and low-dpi image, or small buttons and high-dpi image. One would think that it would be possible to just double all the coordinates when Any UI element is drawn, but ofcourse there's a lot more to it. And even Apple is having problems with it. I just use the word "even" because of all the resources they're probably putting into it etc.

EDIT: I know Picasa is not Apple's but what I meant was it's not possible to run application x properly if it doesn't have support for high-dpi.
    Last edited by ksatta1; May 22nd, 2013 at 08:32 PM.

Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast