Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Beans

Re: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Hey guys, long time lurker, just wanted to share my experiences getting the rMBP running on Linux (although I'm using Fedora 17 rather than Ubuntu).

- 3.6.0-rc2 works pretty well with all the patches listed earlier in this thread.

- 3.6.0-rc3 works well with just the gmux patch to fix suspend/resume

- When using Intel graphics I've noticed the display tends to distort every so often. Sometimes it's really bad, sometimes it goes for hours without issue. The symptoms are that parts of the screen will update in the wrong place giving off a flickering-type effect. I haven't managed to pinpoint what exactly causes it; sometimes it does it when I move it, sometimes it does it without me even touching the machine. I'm not ruling out a physical hardware issue, but I haven't managed to reproduce in OS X with the Intel GPU force-enabled, nor have I reproduced on Linux when using the nVIDIA GPU (nouveau or nvidia)

- Switchable graphics kind of works, but it's not ideal. Recently I've found that the Intel GPU can be brought up by my Linux installation without the need to force-enable in OS X, oddly enough.

- Screen backlight works fine in Intel so long as you have an up to date xorg-x11-drv-intel package. It works in nVIDIA 304.43 after a suspend/resume cycle.

- Wireless is extremely flakey. b43 kind of works, but has low throughput (I was measuring 30-60kB/s on an 802.11g network earlier) and buggy power management (was experiencing high packet loss when too far or too close to the access point). ndiswrapper gives better throughput (have had 2MB/s on 802.11g) but seems unstable on 802.11n, and connections randomly drop more often than with b43.

- Power management is pretty good. With the nVIDIA blob drivers and backlight on ~50% my machine idles at about 17W with Thunderbird, Firefox, Skype open. With Intel you gain another few W on average. nouveau has terrible power management support and doesn't seem to downclock the GPU when it's not under load, so expect the machine to run physically quite warm.

- Native EFI booting works well. I had a few issues with the Fedora installer but those issues are off topic here. Just ensure that the EFI boot volume is blessed properly and all should be well.

- Suspend and resume works fine with the Intel drivers as well as the nVIDIA ones. Nouveau is a no-go on this front.

- nVIDIA 304.34 had a serious issue where the EQ would overflow in the X server, and the driver would crash. I haven't yet noticed the issue on 304.43.

- Multitouch input is flakey at best. Despite lots of tweaking with xf86-input-mtrack, I still haven't found a configuration that doesn't register false clicks. My biggest issue is the case where I'm resting my thumb on the trackpad and moving the cursor with my index finger; when I want to register a left click, about 50% of the time it'll register as a right click because it'll think it's a two finger touch. For now I've worked around this by setting three finger click to be right click, four finger click to be a middle click and single and two finger clicks to be a left click.

- Microphone doesn't work, but speakers do. Headphone out works as well, and the little red LED that comes on inside the line out port is due to the IEC958 output (digital out) being active when it shouldn't. Just run "amixer -c0 set IEC958 mute" to turn it off.

- Keyboard backlight works, but you need the userspace to support it from the keyboard, otherwise you're going to need to prod /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc::kbd_backlight/brightness with echo -n.

- Webcam works, but without the microphone it's not a huge amount of use

That's all for now. I'm considering trying out the latest kernel from git but until then, 3.6.0-rc2 seems more stable to me than 3.6.0-rc3.
    Last edited by gw280; August 31st, 2012 at 02:15 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the thorough report, gw280!

- When using Intel graphics I've noticed the display tends to distort every so often.
    No issue here - I am on 3.6.0-rc3, and I use X.Org 1.12.3; although I force the Intel GPU in OSX.
    Maybe you could make some pictures of the problem (and also screenshots and verify that at least they are correct) and post everything on intel-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org

- Wireless is extremely flakey.
    Yes :/ .. currently one of my biggest issues with the laptop. I hope this is fixed soon; unfortunately I have no idea whats the exact b43 status and if this is already on someones schedule.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by magnumripper View Post
    I just now tried not blacklisting nouveau, and I got this marvelous resolution except Linux thinks it's 96 dpi (it thinks my screen is 762x476 mm, that would be some laptop). I need to zoom a lot
    Oh, that's no surprise. X has rarely got my dpi right...but just startx - --dpi xxx and you're rolling (or set it in an xorg conf file or in your .xinitrc).

BTW, does anyone know if it's even remotely possible to run the video on the Intel chip while at the same time running GPGPU on the nvidia? That would be really awesome.
    That's a very good question. I haven't tried myself but I'd like to use the GPGPU eventually. Let us know if you experiment. I see at least one issue which is to install the intel and nvidia drivers in parallel, but that can be worked around.

Beans

Yes, thanks for the very complete report and hints gw280.

Same here than bfroemel: no issues with distortions with the intel driver.

b43 is flaky for me only when I'm too close to the wireless station, for some unknown reason...otherwise getting regularly 3-400kBytes/s or more.

Not sure how I reconcile these 2 statements:
    - 3.6.0-rc2 works pretty well with all the patches listed earlier in this thread.
    - 3.6.0-rc3 works well with just the gmux patch to fix suspend/resume
    and
    [...] but until then, 3.6.0-rc2 seems more stable to me than 3.6.0-rc3.

Beans

Post Re: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Hello everyone. I have been playing around with Ubuntu 12.04 on my rMBP the past few days, and now I finally get a usable environment.
    First I want to say thanks to the Mactel Support Team and everyone else who posted a lot of hints and instructions. For a non-technical user like me, it wouldn't be possible even just to run the Ubuntu Live CD without your help. So I want to share my experience in hope of helping others and contributing to Ubuntu's Mactel support.

Laptop details:
    1. Memory: 8GB
    2. Intel® Core™ i7-3615QM CPU @ 2.30GHz × 8
    3. Graphics: GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2 + Intel HD 4000
    4. 256GB SSD

Current system:
    1. Ubuntu 12.04 (x64) with Linux 3.5.0-13, no special kernel options. (I mean, I'm NOT using any of the following: nomodeset, noacpi, nointremap.)
    2. Installed nvidia-current.
    3. Booting from EFI
    4. Mactel PPA & xorg-edgers PPA used.

Working:
    1. WiFi (This model is already supported, I just need to download and extract the firmware.)
    2. EFI (rEFIt + MBR at first, grub-efi installed later)
    3. Keyboard (Choose US Macintosh layout. Backlight controllable using F5 & F6.)
    4. Screen (Full resolution on nvidia-current, Linux 3.5. But I can't choose lower resolution and Brightness control sometimes work while sometimes doesn't, see below)
    5. Sound (Volume control working.)
    6. Touchpad (Gestures okay, but touchegg is not working, see below.)
    7. Camera (Native support w/o drivers.)
    8. Fans (Don't need special steps to setup.)
    9. Power management (Good battery life, with some minor optimization on the video card.)
    10. Suspend and resume

Not working:
    1. Microphone
    2. Bluetooth (Not recognized. Missing driver?)
    3. Thunderbolt (including wired network via "Thunderbolt to Ethernet". I had to use WiFi all the time.)
    4. Hibernate (but suspension works, why?)
    5. Not able to choose lower screen resolution. (Modeline in xorg.conf doesn't work. xrandr reports resolution too small to fit the screen.) (I'm currently using a big font size in order to save my eye.)
    6. Brightness control sometimes doesn't work. (Oops, did I say that just now?)
    7. Intel HD Graphics (It never shows up. When I disable Nvidia driver or install bumblebee, Ubuntu says my video card is "Unknown" and falls back to Ubuntu 2D. Maybe newer kernels could help me switch the video cards. Or maybe I did something wrong?)
    8. touchegg (The deeper source should be in the evdev driver. I can't move my cursor when I use evdev, but I can click by pressing the touchpad. I'm using synaptics now.)
    9. (Please tell me if I forgot about anything.)

Some random hints:
    The Ubuntu Live CD must have nomodeset and noacpi on in order to boot. These two options should be kept until you installed Linux 3.5 and nvidia drivers.
    Before you do your partition, READ THIS: rEFIt will only sync the FIRST FOUR (4) GPT partitions to MBR. It's not a bug. The first will be EFI, the second will be Mac OS X, and the third will be Mac Recover. So you must install grub on the first linux partition you create, which will take the only position left in MBR.
    You can't get full resolution when booting from MBR. Use EFI please.
    When things are messed up, the Ubuntu Live CD can be used to revert changes.
    Don't precisely follow the other WiFi setup instructions. Just install the two b43 packages, download the driver, and extract the firmware using b43-fwcutter. When you don't have internet connection, download *.deb and the driver using Mac OS X, or plug another WiFi via USB.
    MyUnity can be used to increase system font size if your resolution can't go down. You can also tell your browser to zoom 200% by default.
    Chromium will blacklist your GPUs. Don't worry, you can use --ignore-gpu-blacklist if your nvidia card is in use.

I would really like to describe what I've done after installation, but since I touched a lot of things, I don't know which step makes which feature work. If I have more time, I will write about it. I'm willing to add links to my report, but I don't know how.
    Last edited by catus; September 1st, 2012 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Add bluetooth to the "not working" list

Beans

Guys,
    What an active thread !

Well, I have some news about the microphone.

Booting with
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=imac27
    in a modprobe.d conf file gives access to new inputs: line in, internal microphone and digital input.

selecting "internal microphone" and pushing the capture volume to max does give me something (as per pavucontrol and arecord / aplay). But it's very faint and a bit distorted.

Your turn. It's very late here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frigaut View Post
    Guys,
    What an active thread !

Well, I have some news about the microphone.

Booting with
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=imac27
    in a modprobe.d conf file gives access to new inputs: line in, internal microphone and digital input.

selecting "internal microphone" and pushing the capture volume to max does give me something (as per pavucontrol and arecord / aplay). But it's very faint and a bit distorted.

Your turn. It's very late here.
    Sorry, that doesn't work for me...

P.S. I discovered that my Bluetooth is not recognized. I'll add it to the list.

Beans

OK. So screen brightness control doesn't work on booting, but works after a suspend/resume. Any idea why?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by catus View Post
    Sorry, that doesn't work for me...
    Well, it doesn't really "work" for me either, but it's a step in the right direction.

P.S. I discovered that my Bluetooth is not recognized. I'll add it to the list.
    For bluetooth, you have to apply this patch: http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-b.../msg26954.html
    I tested it, it works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bfroemel View Post
    Thanks for the thorough report, gw280!
    No problem! Am here to provide feedback/assistance!

No issue here - I am on 3.6.0-rc3, and I use X.Org 1.12.3; although I force the Intel GPU in OSX.
    Maybe you could make some pictures of the problem (and also screenshots and verify that at least they are correct) and post everything on intel-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org

Out of interest, does your rMBP have the Samsung or the LG LCD panel? I think the LG is significantly more common, and mine has the Samsung. Could narrow down possibilities.

Yes :/ .. currently one of my biggest issues with the laptop. I hope this is fixed soon; unfortunately I have no idea whats the exact b43 status and if this is already on someones schedule.
    I spoke with the b43 devs and they could provide no ETA on getting it up and running. Apparently they've not managed to reverse engineer the power management for the 802.11n Broadcom chips, and that's the major issue right now. You may have better luck with ndiswrapper.

Hopefully Broadcom will update their proprietary drivers to support the bcm4331 soon.

Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast