Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    You can switch to quantal kernel, and use my patch above - it will get the Fn keys working again. Although the brightness controls is still MIA.

Both xbacklight and xrand method dims my display as intended, but it might just alter the pixel color - dont know

Thanks for the prod. I went with 3.3 because I'd initially tried 3.4 and it wouldn't boot... but I suspect now that that must have been something I did wrong.

Installed 3.5.0rc6 and your Fn keys patch and now appear to have the best of both worlds.

Still nothing from xbacklight though. Odd. Even "xbacklight -get" returns nothing. Wonder what I've forgotten to do.

Setting brightness to zero & looking at the screen in a dark room should tell you whether it's off or just a screen of black pixels.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    Thanks for the prod. I went with 3.3 because I'd initially tried 3.4 and it wouldn't boot... but I suspect now that that must have been something I did wrong.

Installed 3.5.0rc6 and your Fn keys patch and now appear to have the best of both worlds.

Still nothing from xbacklight though. Odd. Even "xbacklight -get" returns nothing. Wonder what I've forgotten to do.

Setting brightness to zero & looking at the screen in a dark room should tell you whether it's off or just a screen of black pixels.
    Glad to hear more stuff is working - I will try to see what I did for the xbacklight to work - I remember I started off with xrandr:

xrandr --output eDP1 --brightness 0.5

dmesg:
    Code:
    [    0.000000] e820: BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
    [    1.501753] pci 0000:00:02.0: Boot video device
    [    3.962522] ACPI Warning: _BQC returned an invalid level (20120320/video-480)
    [    3.962716] ACPI: Video Device [PEGP] (multi-head: yes  rom: yes  post: no)
    [    3.962750] input: Video Bus as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/device:03/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input4
    [    3.964761] ACPI Warning: _BQC returned an invalid level (20120320/video-480)
    [    3.967526] ACPI: Video Device [GFX0] (multi-head: yes  rom: no  post: no)
    [    3.967558] input: Video Bus as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:01/input/input5
    [   12.297130] asus_wmi: Backlight controlled by ACPI video driver
    [   12.409550] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
    [   12.414039] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device USB2.0 HD UVC WebCam (04f2:b330)
    [   12.428658] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
    [   12.428661] USB Video Class driver (1.1.1)
    /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nmi_watchdog=0 apparmor=0"

/sys:
    Code:
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/type
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/brightness
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/power
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/power/control
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/power/async
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/power/runtime_enabled
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/power/runtime_active_kids
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/power/runtime_active_time
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/power/autosuspend_delay_ms
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/power/runtime_status
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/power/runtime_usage
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/power/runtime_suspended_time
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/bl_power
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/max_brightness
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/device
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/subsystem
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/uevent
    ./devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/actual_brightness
    Maybe the above will help to troubleshoot

Beans

Hello,

I have just bought a UX32VD.

I have installed ubuntu 12.04. By default the functionbuttons did not work. (except wifi toggling and screentoggling) I did not test closing the lid nor really listened to the fan.

Then I installed the xorg-edgers repository packages (using a dist-upgrade, that seemed right to me), the buttons still did not work and the fan was whirring constantly (the device is hotter that it would be when running windows). Also when closing the lid the device would not wake up again. (and the fan was kept active). xbacklight nor xrandr work for changing the backlight.

I then proceeded to install the quantal kernel by downloading the latest stable packages from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...3.4.4-quantal/

They would not install as nvidia kernel modules where being rebuilt, which failed.

What would be currently the best configuration (the one screemo uses?) and is the quantal kernel still relevant as 12.04 currently uses a 3.5.0-4 kernel.

If you feel I am missing any points or resources, please point me in their direction.

edit: When using the ubuntu default 3.5.0-4 kernel, closing the lid does no properly suspend the device, as stated above, pressing the Fn+F1 does however (fan, keyboard backlight, screen turn off). Pressing the powerbutton does not wake the device up though.

edit2: Installed this kernel: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...5-rc6-quantal/
    patched it with this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=27 and having the xorg-edgers repository enabled the functionbuttons work (without screen brightness) and closing the lid properly suspends the machine it does not wake up however (it does wake up, but not the screen

edit3: Cpu frequency scaling seems to work (it throttles between 800 and 1700 mhz), cant seem to reach turbomode though, no idea how that is activated though.
    Last edited by peter rus; July 13th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.

Beans

Hello,

This is my first message on the ubuntu forum, and my first test with ubuntu. Well it is not working well for me on the UX32VD. I installed the 32bit which is the one labeled recommended from the download page. I wanted to install it on the SSD. I got rid of windows. And the result is that none of the SSD and the HDD were visible from the BIOS boot options. So, the UX32vd couldn't boot unless a USB was plugged in.
    Both HDD and SSD were perfectly visible from the live ubuntu running on my USB.

Now I am going to try to reinstall the 64bits version. Did any one installed it on the SSD? With which partitioning?
    Where should the bootloader installed?

This is what I had:
    On sda:
    /dev/sda1 type /biosgrub 100MB
    /dev/sda2 type swap 4GB
    /dev/sda3 type ext4 : /home

And on sdb:
    /dev/sdb1 type /biosgrub 100MB
    /dev/sdb2 type ext4 /boot 100MB
    /dev/sdb3 type ext4 for my root / 20GB

And I chose sdb for the device for the bootloader installation from the dropdown menu:
    /dev/sdb ATA sandisk SSD i100

(or should I chose /dev/sdb1 or /dev/sdb2?)

Any help, at this time of the night (1h30 here) would be nice, but I am exhausted now.

Ludo

Beans

Hi Ludo,

I am currently running ubuntu entirely from my SSD. You might want to read up on how UEFI works (just as I had to do

what you need to do (this will make your windows installation unbootable, but you did not seem to care about that).

use Unetbootin to create a bootable usb containing 12.04 Live 64-bits (only 64 bits works when using UEFI) (Unetbootin should download it for you)

When booting, press ESC, you should be presented with a bootmenu. Choose the UEFI <your usb stick name> entry. You should see a black/white grub menu with 3 options, select the first, press 'e', change the part where it says 'splash quiet' in 'nomodeset' and press F10. Ubuntu should boot.

Using gparted (from the livecd) create the following on your ssd:

A new GPT partition table containing the following (in this order)

a 200mb fat32 partition with the 'boot' flag (and only that flag) set
    a ext4 partition for your root filesystem
    a 8gb swap partition (twice the size of your ram)

The mount the 200mb partition on your HDD not your ssd, and copy everything in that (one folder called EFI containing subfolders) to the 200mb partition on your SSD. You have now moved EFI's support files (what would classicly reside in your master boot record on MBR systems, but this might get a bit too technical) to your SSD.

Proceed with installing, ubuntu (because it is booted in UEFI mode) should now compile a grub efi-program which is installed in that 200mb partition on your SSD.

When you reboot now and press ESC again, there should be at least one 'ubuntu' entry. If there are multiple, try them all, you can use the System Setup menu (F2) to remove entries.

Edit: I see you tried to use a biosgrub partition, you do NOT need this

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by peter rus View Post
    Hello,

I have just bought a UX32VD.

I have installed ubuntu 12.04. By default the functionbuttons did not work. (except wifi toggling and screentoggling) I did not test closing the lid nor really listened to the fan.

Then I installed the xorg-edgers repository packages (using a dist-upgrade, that seemed right to me), the buttons still did not work and the fan was whirring constantly (the device is hotter that it would be when running windows). Also when closing the lid the device would not wake up again. (and the fan was kept active). xbacklight nor xrandr work for changing the backlight.

I then proceeded to install the quantal kernel by downloading the latest stable packages from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...3.4.4-quantal/

They would not install as nvidia kernel modules where being rebuilt, which failed.

What would be currently the best configuration (the one screemo uses?) and is the quantal kernel still relevant as 12.04 currently uses a 3.5.0-4 kernel.

If you feel I am missing any points or resources, please point me in their direction.

edit: When using the ubuntu default 3.5.0-4 kernel, closing the lid does no properly suspend the device, as stated above, pressing the Fn+F1 does however (fan, keyboard backlight, screen turn off). Pressing the powerbutton does not wake the device up though.

edit2: Installed this kernel: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...5-rc6-quantal/
    patched it with this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=27 and having the xorg-edgers repository enabled the functionbuttons work (without screen brightness) and closing the lid properly suspends the machine it does not wake up however (it does wake up, but not the screen
    I had no problems with the suspend/resume (in 12.04 + quantal kernel backport), but in the meantime I switched to quantal development because alot of the subsystems has better support for the laptop.

You dont happen to have an external mouse or other stuff attached that might prevent the laptop from entering sleepmode ?

Only problem I've seen with the resume process is that the background wallpaper is missing (black background). Maybe this is related to the shared framebuffer on optimus - I have no clue.

btw: the Trendnet Gbit TU2-ETG v2.0R (atrix based, like original dongle) works flawlessly on the kernel, giving 60-70mb/sec (should be around 80-100, but still way better than 100mbit).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LudoTW View Post
    Hello,

This is my first message on the ubuntu forum, and my first test with ubuntu. Well it is not working well for me on the UX32VD. I installed the 32bit which is the one labeled recommended from the download page. I wanted to install it on the SSD. I got rid of windows. And the result is that none of the SSD and the HDD were visible from the BIOS boot options. So, the UX32vd couldn't boot unless a USB was plugged in.
    Both HDD and SSD were perfectly visible from the live ubuntu running on my USB.

Now I am going to try to reinstall the 64bits version. Did any one installed it on the SSD? With which partitioning?
    Where should the bootloader installed?

This is what I had:
    On sda:
    /dev/sda1 type /biosgrub 100MB
    /dev/sda2 type swap 4GB
    /dev/sda3 type ext4 : /home

And on sdb:
    /dev/sdb1 type /biosgrub 100MB
    /dev/sdb2 type ext4 /boot 100MB
    /dev/sdb3 type ext4 for my root / 20GB

And I chose sdb for the device for the bootloader installation from the dropdown menu:
    /dev/sdb ATA sandisk SSD i100

(or should I chose /dev/sdb1 or /dev/sdb2?)

Any help, at this time of the night (1h30 here) would be nice, but I am exhausted now.

Ludo
    If possible just install a SSD instead (they are really cheap now). Install a 64bit ubuntu on that, and switch to the quantal backport kernel + updated asus-wmi. It should give you a decent system.

Beans

Do any of you guys have a decent configuration for the Elan touchpad in the UX32VD ?

I have experimented but nothing really gives me a good palmdetection...

Also I think its a mess with the xinput / synclient / utouch - anyone found a good outline of how it fits together ?

I know some of them clash and will fire events twice if set up the same, but short of that I have no experience with them.

Beans

Just updated from bios 206 to 207 - works fine (should fix some unneeded spinup of the fans:

http://nbtsd.asustreiber.de/BIOS/UX32VDAS.207.zip

Originally from here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...x32vd-229.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    Is it something you are willing to share ?

How about the dpi, does it work reliably with dialogs and all ?

Sure, it is not my work, i have just take it from the internet and adapted it.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # Monitor Toggle
    # The following script toggles between the internal monitor and an external monitor.
    #
    # Version 1.3
    # Export Xauthority and display
    USERID="$(cat /var/run/ConsoleKit/database | grep -B 6 is_active=true | grep uid= | cut -f 2 -d '=')"
    USER="$(grep $USERID /etc/passwd | cut -f 1 -d ':')"
    # USER="$(who | grep :0\) | cut -f 1 -d ' ')"
    export XAUTHORITY=/home/$USER/.Xauthority
    export DISPLAY=:0
    ########### Settings ###########
    # Use 'xrandr' to find these
    DP="DP1"
    VGA="VGA1"
    HDMI="HDMI1"
    INTERNAL_DISPLAY="eDP1"
    # Check /sys/class/drm for the exact location
    DP_STATUS="$(cat /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-1/status)"
    VGA_STATUS="$(cat /sys/class/drm/card0-VGA-1/status)"
    HDMI_STATUS="$(cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/status)"
    # Backlight settings
    BACKLIGHT_BATTERY=15
    BACKLIGHT_AC=50
    # Do no change!
    EXTERNAL_DISPLAY=""
    # Check to see if the external display is connected
    if [ "${DP_STATUS}" = connected ]; then
     EXTERNAL_DISPLAY=$DP
    fi
    if [ "${VGA_STATUS}" = connected ]; then
     EXTERNAL_DISPLAY=$VGA
    fi
    if [ "${HDMI_STATUS}" = connected ]; then
     EXTERNAL_DISPLAY=$HDMI
    fi
    # The external display is connected
    if [ "$EXTERNAL_DISPLAY" != "" ]; then
    # Set the display settings
      xrandr --output $INTERNAL_DISPLAY --off        # Turn off internal display
      xrandr --output $EXTERNAL_DISPLAY --auto     # Turn on external display
    # Set the DPI 
    # External monitor definitions:
    # physical screen size from xrandr (xorg detection isn't right)
      em_ds_h=$(xrandr | grep $EXTERNAL_DISPLAY | rev | cut -d " " -f 3 | rev | sed 's/mm//')
      em_ds_v=$(xrandr | grep $EXTERNAL_DISPLAY | rev | cut -d " " -f 1 | rev | sed 's/mm//')
      em_ds="$em_ds_h"x"$em_ds_v"

xrandr --output $EXTERNAL_DISPLAY --fbmm $em_ds
    # The external display is not connected
    else
    # Restore internal display
      if [ "$EXTERNAL_DISPLAY" != "" ]; then
        xrandr --output $EXTERNAL_DISPLAY --off        # Turn off internal display
      fi
      xrandr --output $INTERNAL_DISPLAY --auto
    # Set the DPI
    # Internal Monitor definition
      im_ds_h=$(xrandr | grep $INTERNAL_DISPLAY | rev | cut -d " " -f 3 | rev | sed 's/mm//')
    im_ds_v=$(xrandr | grep $INTERNAL_DISPLAY | rev | cut -d " " -f 1 | rev | sed 's/mm//')
      im_ds="$im_ds_h"x"$im_ds_v"
      xrandr --output $INTERNAL_DISPLAY --fbmm $im_ds
    fi
    exit 0
    If you want this to be executed every time when you plug in or out HDMI you will have to create a rule for udev (in /etc/udev/rules) that looks like this:

Code:
    cat /etc/udev/rules.d/99-hdmi.rules 
    SUBSYSTEM=="drm", ACTION=="change", RUN+="/usr/local/bin/screendpi"
    You need of course to change the script path to wherever you created the script.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast