Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

I can confirm the suspend problem (on Quantal).

Running the 3.5.0-5 kernel, I sometimes have the 40 sec hang at login, sometimes not. Haven't been able to track down why. Suspend seems to work when there is only a short interval (<10min?) between use. For longer periods the screen is just black, but fans are spinning, and a cold reboot is necessary (tried various Fn keys and changing tty).

Brightness works 100% the time here using the mentioned indicator.

Is there somewhere we can report these findings?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SveinT View Post
    I can confirm the suspend problem (on Quantal).

Running the 3.5.0-5 kernel, I sometimes have the 40 sec hang at login, sometimes not. Haven't been able to track down why. Suspend seems to work when there is only a short interval (<10min?) between use. For longer periods the screen is just black, but fans are spinning, and a cold reboot is necessary (tried various Fn keys and changing tty).

Brightness works 100% the time here using the mentioned indicator.

Is there somewhere we can report these findings?
    Probably send a mail to the mailinglist I linked earlier (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1315719). Not sure though, I have never really filed anything against the kernel.

The problems you describe do exactly match the issues I have.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by peter rus View Post
    Probably send a mail to the mailinglist I linked earlier (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1315719). Not sure though, I have never really filed anything against the kernel.

The problems you describe do exactly match the issues I have.
    I dont have problems with suspend on quantal, had it suspended most of a day, and woke up fine after. The only issue is that the wallpaper is not restored (get a black screen). Everything else is working though.

Are you having some extra usb-devices plugged in that may cause it not to wake up maybe ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    I dont have problems with suspend on quantal, had it suspended most of a day, and woke up fine after. The only issue is that the wallpaper is not restored (get a black screen). Everything else is working though.

Are you having some extra usb-devices plugged in that may cause it not to wake up maybe ?
    What kernel are you running?

I only have a wireless mouse dongle, I'll try without later, but I don't have high hopes...

Beans

What kernel are you running?

I only have a wireless mouse dongle, I'll try without later, but I don't have high hopes...
    I'm talking about suspend to ram btw, haven't tried suspend to disk at all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    I'm talking about suspend to ram btw, haven't tried suspend to disk at all.
    Not much point in hibernation when suspend battery life is so good.

Are you running the latest kernel (3.5.0-5)? Are you using any extra repos (for instance xorg-edgers)?

Beans

Not much point in hibernation when suspend battery life is so good.

Are you running the latest kernel (3.5.0-5)? Are you using any extra repos (for instance xorg-edgers)?
    Just realized I had 3.5.0-4 - but I have installed 3.5.0-5 now and could suspend it briefly(~5min). I will leave it overnight and wake it up tommorow. Be back with the results.

Sorry for the confusion

This is the repos I have (nothing fancy) :

bumblebee-stable-quantal.list
    medibuntu.list
    trebelnik-stefina-multisystem-quantal.list
    webapps-preview-quantal.list
    Last edited by screemo; July 20th, 2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: more info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by peter rus View Post
    @ Maroony, will try that later, but first:

I have tracked down the source of my system not booting and the kernel panics:

the asus-wmi patch (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1315719)

When I boot, the process hangs forever in the dotted ubuntu splash. When I boot in recovery mode however, and then choose 'resume boot' everything works fine. This might have to do with some race condition occuring, but thats up to the programmers

When I booted through the recovery mode method the asus-wmi module works (I can use the functionbuttons) but for some reason this also prevents DRM from properly loading, and thus /sys/class/drm/ is not populated, which in turn means you can not use external monitors, waking from suspend does not work (screen stays black, with no way to turn it back on) and setting the brightness of the screen is not possible through the gnome-settings or xbacklight/xrandr. The intel_backlight utility hoewever still works.

I am booting from an SSD so people using the HDD as root might not have this problem. If you want to remove the patched asus-wmi module, run the following:

Code:
    sudo dkms remove asus-wmi/999.01 --all
    I added some entries to the wiki: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/As...ev2=28&rev1=27

Furthermore: also see my entry on nomodeset, when I boot using nomodeset I get exactly the same issues as described above. I also updated the wiki about it: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/As...ev2=29&rev1=28
    Ah - could you try the to add rootdelay=<secs> , I've seen this work somewhere else where disk timing was an issue (a longshot I know..).

Beans

Hi,

Just installed the latest Ubuntu on my Zenbook Prime. The worst problem i'm having is my wifi internet is really slow. I've used 3 different laptops on this network wifi and the Zenbook is always much slower. Sometimes it speeds up for 1-2 mins but it always drops back to almost no pages loading. It isn't reconnecting/disconnecting from the network and it has the same wireless signal strength as the other laptops - any ideas at how I can fix this? I basically cant use the internet on it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMorrison View Post
    Hi,

Just installed the latest Ubuntu on my Zenbook Prime. The worst problem i'm having is my wifi internet is really slow. I've used 3 different laptops on this network wifi and the Zenbook is always much slower. Sometimes it speeds up for 1-2 mins but it always drops back to almost no pages loading. It isn't reconnecting/disconnecting from the network and it has the same wireless signal strength as the other laptops - any ideas at how I can fix this? I basically cant use the internet on it.
    Please try this from a terminal:

# sudo rmmod iwlwifi && modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1

If it works for you, make the changes permanent this way:

# sudo vi /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi-disable11n.conf

Add this to the file, and save it (:wq)
    Code:
    options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
    Last edited by screemo; July 21st, 2012 at 12:05 AM.

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast