Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

try running the 12.10 live cd with "try ubuntu without installing" without making any changes to parameters.

Let the boot run for a few seconds and when you think it has finished, like not having any activity on your usb or HD, try using Fn function for volume up/down to test if you can hear the sounds ... at that point ubuntu has booted.

Now, put the laptop to sleep, Fn + F1 (or closing the display lid).

Bring it back on (open the laptop or press power button).

You should be able to see the screen now and install ubuntu.

I have to do that (sleep/wake up) every time I reboot it =\.

I also have some problems with usb connections (external keyboard/mouse or even a usb drive) and are only solved with the slepp/wake up process.

Beans

those problems sound really strange to me.. I am also running ubuntu 12.10 on the UX32VD and the only problem I have with montors is that I need to boot with no external monitor connected, otherwise the internal monitor is completly disabled and cannot be re-enabled by any configuration tool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by kaefert66014235 View Post
    those problems sound really strange to me.. I am also running ubuntu 12.10 on the UX32VD and the only problem I have with montors is that I need to boot with no external monitor connected, otherwise the internal monitor is completly disabled and cannot be re-enabled by any configuration tool.
    Did you update from 12.04 or did a fresh 12.10 install?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xicosm View Post
    Did you update from 12.04 or did a fresh 12.10 install?
    fresh install to 12.10 alpha2 and updated ever since

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xicosm View Post
    try running the 12.10 live cd with "try ubuntu without installing" without making any changes to parameters.

Let the boot run for a few seconds and when you think it has finished, like not having any activity on your usb or HD, try using Fn function for volume up/down to test if you can hear the sounds ... at that point ubuntu has booted.

Now, put the laptop to sleep, Fn + F1 (or closing the display lid).

Bring it back on (open the laptop or press power button).

You should be able to see the screen now and install ubuntu.

I have to do that (sleep/wake up) every time I reboot it =\.

I also have some problems with usb connections (external keyboard/mouse or even a usb drive) and are only solved with the slepp/wake up process.
    Thank you very much! This worked and I'm typing this happily on my UX32VD using Ubuntu 12.10

I don't know why but the ubuntu sound didn't come earlier. This time though when I booted up I heard it and after returning from sleep I saw the login screen. I had seen this advice before and I think I tried it but well, magic is magic!

Is this a known problem and is there a way to fix this? I mean it's great to have this working but still..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pasisti View Post
    Thank you very much! This worked and I'm typing this happily on my UX32VD using Ubuntu 12.10

I don't know why but the ubuntu sound didn't come earlier. This time though when I booted up I heard it and after returning from sleep I saw the login screen. I had seen this advice before and I think I tried it but well, magic is magic!

Is this a known problem and is there a way to fix this? I mean it's great to have this working but still..
    It worked at first.. I used everything (video, music, wlan, java, flash, gwibber etc) perfectly, but then on the second boot; no sound, no display and the Fn+F1 (or closing lid) doesn't work. I didn't make any modifications to anything, just installed vlc player and dropbox and browsed the net.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

My laptop is actually the UX32A ... with the main difference being that my display is rubbish and no nvidia graphics card.

Maybe the nvidia driver could have something to do with it

Beans

Question Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

An UEFI-install of 12.10 beta 2 worked like a charm on my UX32VD (BIOS 2.11), but there's still a number of annoying problems remaining:

1) The trackpad doesn't work at all well. It's much too sensitive for tap-to-click and when I try to use the hardware click I'm liable to jerk the pointer in a random direction in the process, missing my target entirely. How one is supposed to middle-click or click-and-drag with the right button, I've no idea.
    Can this be fixed in software or is the trackpad just not for me?

2) The fans are too loud. They hardly ever turn off, if at all. On the flip side they don't seem to speed up much under load, either. Still, I wouldn't want to take it into a library or classroom as it is, and that's the intended primary use cases.
    Maybe power management isn't working a hundred percent because I'm getting a lot of "package power limit" messages, even on idle load.
    Does anyone know of a way to fix this or implement custom fan control? I'd happily sacrifice a ton of performance if the fans could stay off.

3) The power consumption is too high. I can't seem to push it below 8.5W (powertop), even with BT and Wifi off and display brightness at minimum. The nVidia CPU is diabled at boot via bbswitch, though it doesn't seem to make much of a difference either way. Allegedly Windows stays below 6W in a much less frugal configuration. When all's said and done I might get 5h out of it, given the specs I'd hoped for 7-8. What figures (watts and/or hours) are you all getting?

4) Brightness doesn't stay put. I don't mind the hotkeys not working for now, I can set brightness in a terminal just as well, but the fact that it resets to a (too bright) default every few minutes is quite irritating.
    Last edited by Fallen Guru; October 25th, 2012 at 06:12 PM.

Beans

I think I have this worked out!

When I put the ubuntu partition as the boot option #1 in BIOS, nothing works. But if I put the windows partition as the option #1, I can enter BIOS during boot and start ubuntu from there. This way I still have to use the Fn+F1 trick but beyond that everything works!

So, the question is, have I installed this properly? I selected the UEFI-mode in BIOS when I installed but was there something after that that needed special work?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Guru View Post
    An UEFI-install of 12.10 beta 2 worked like a charm on my UX32VD (BIOS 2.11), but there's still a number of annoying problems remaining:

1) The trackpad doesn't work at all well. It's much too sensitive for tap-to-click and when I try to use the hardware click I'm liable to jerk the pointer in a random direction in the process, missing my target entirely. How one is supposed to middle-click or click-and-drag with the right button, I've no idea.
    Can this be fixed in software or is the trackpad just not for me?

2) The fans are too loud. They hardly ever turn off, if at all. On the flip side they don't seem to speed up much under load, either. Still, I wouldn't want to take it into a library or classroom as it is, and that's the intended primary use cases.
    Maybe power management isn't working a hundred percent because I'm getting a lot of "package power limit" messages, even on idle load.
    Does anyone know of a way to fix this or implement custom fan control? I'd happily sacrifice a ton of performance if the fans could stay off.

3) The power consumption is too high. I can't seem to push it below 8.5W (powertop), even with BT and Wifi off and display brightness at minimum. The nVidia CPU is diabled at boot via bbswitch, though it doesn't seem to make much of a difference either way. Allegedly Windows stays below 6W in a much less frugal configuration. When all's said and done I might get 5h out of it, given the specs I'd hoped for 7-8. What figures (watts and/or hours) are you all getting?

4) Brightness doesn't stay put. I don't mind the hotkeys not working for now, I can set brightness in a terminal just as well, but the fact that it resets to a (too bright) default every few minutes is quite irritating.
    Could you try to add this to your boot parameters in /etc/default/grub, and update-grub afterwards ?

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash rootfstype=ext4 pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 i915.semaphores=1
    Maybe it will help on the power management.

My touchpad is working rather well, dont know if I got accustomed to it - here's my settings: http://i.imgur.com/xIzih.png

The fans is not running all the time in mine, I have upgraded to the latest 2.11 bios, and I know that there were some fan related fixes in 2.09.
    Last edited by screemo; October 26th, 2012 at 01:34 AM.

Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast