Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

@rockprincess

both seem to be problems with the video drivers. you use xorg-edgers, don't you? such bugs may appear and disappear from update to udpate. nightly builds just aren't stable.

Problem #1
    Try fn-f8 when the problem occurs. That may help (not permanently). Else strg-f1, strg-f7 could help.

Problem #2
    I think the video driver causes X to crash. Then X restarts and you find yourself on the login screen. Just use another browser till it's fixed. Maybe disabling gpu accelerated rendering in browser may help.

Beans

I tested mainline kernel 3.4.9 and 3.5.2 and I can confirm that they are working.

But I got one new problem: After resuming from suspend to ram I always have to enable wireless again. Tips?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm experiencing what I think to be a kernel panic when I plug in an usb 3 device...

When I plug in my usb3 hard drive I get a command line like black screen with a bunch of numbers and letters like a memory trace back... with a final message to restart my computer....

Does any one have seen something like this?

Beans

So, today my new toy finally arrived and I installed Kubuntu 12.10 Alpha 3 on it. And it just doesn’t work right.

The Kernel 3.5.0-11 give me a kernel panic on every start up and pressing Shift to access Grub to use an older one also is not very reliable (often Grub just continues booting).
    Kernel 3.5.0-6 works quite well.

What doesn’t work:
    * Influencing keyboard brightness. It is turned on to max when I turn the device on but stays offline once I have put the device into standby and resumed. I cannot turn it on or off or dim it down manually.
    * Screen brightness buttons. I knew that and wasn’t that severe if KDE’s power management didn’t suck and kept reverting the screen brightness to maximum burning my retina.
    * Bluetooth / WiFi toggle is not reliable. Why do all companies think it is a good idea to put those on a *single* button? My old Acer had this sickness as well and it was a real pain using it. Was like: WiFi on, Bluetooth on, Both on, Both off … and on the Asus it is even worse. When I power up the machine, Bluetooth is somewhat on but the device is not discoverable. Blah. Just doesn’t work to "just quickly send a file".

And, I sometimes get artefacts on the screen, especially on areas that are influenced by desktop effects (panels have white stripes, or window shadows are white). And also overall KWin performance is really poor. Seems to be a bad Xorg edgers driver today? On the Live CD the system performed awesomely smooth.

Also, the touchpad is a bit weird. I applied the Palm rejection xorg conf thing someone posted here but the left mouse button is weird. I can click and hold almost anywhere (ie. press down and hear that click) and drag things but when I actually click and hold where the left mouse button is supposed to be I keep doing some multi touch guestures.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hello =)

It seams that google-earth is incompatible with the xorg-edgers packages and ia32-lib

This is what I get when trying to install it:

Code:
    udo dpkg -i google-earth-stable_current_amd64.deb 
    Selecting previously unselected package google-earth-stable.
    (Reading database ... 264233 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking google-earth-stable (from google-earth-stable_current_amd64.deb) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of google-earth-stable:
     google-earth-stable depends on ia32-libs; however:
      Package ia32-libs is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing google-earth-stable (--install):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     google-earth-stable
    jcmteixeira@jcmteixeira-Linux:~/Downloads$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     ia32-libs : Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    jcmteixeira@jcmteixeira-Linux:~/Downloads$ sudo apt-get -f install
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      melt libpam-winbind ttf-umefont dvgrab swh-plugins libmlt++3 libcapi20-3 dvdauthor unixodbc kdenlive-data lib32asound2 recordmydesktop wine-gecko1.4 wine-gecko1.4:i386
      libgif4:i386 ttf-unfonts-core libmpg123-0 winbind libodbc1 fonts-droid ttf-droid
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglapi-mesa:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libqt4-opengl:i386
    Suggested packages:
      libpam-ldap:i386 libpam-winbind:i386 libnss-ldap:i386 libglide3:i386
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      kdenlive kinfocenter kubuntu-desktop libglu1-mesa libvisual-0.4-plugins xorg                                                                                               
    The following NEW packages will be installed:                                                                                                                                
      ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglapi-mesa:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libqt4-opengl:i386                                       
    0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 6 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 25.1 MB/25.4 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 86.3 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n

Beans

A new BIOS (v212) for UX31A is avaialble here.

I couldn't find a changelog for this BIOS.

Beans

The UX31A has plenty of unnecessary fan noise in Windows, It's much better in Ubuntu, I wouldn't expect the Fn keys to work right now, the Zenbook Prime is quite new, not much Linux support right now, I would say to wait a while for now, then get it, it's probably not the best time to run Ubuntu on it for now. (Sidenote) The power button is not a button, just like a keyboard key, it can be annoying at times.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Touchegg is working agaain. Has anyone managed to get it working with the Zenbook? For me it isn't working in unity but with another window manager, e.g. fluxbox. I tried the settings suggested here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/TouchpadSupport but without any success.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hoihappen View Post
    Touchegg is working agaain. Has anyone managed to get it working with the Zenbook? For me it isn't working in unity but with another window manager, e.g. fluxbox. I tried the settings suggested here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/TouchpadSupport but without any success.
    I tried but failed. Touchegg requires the evdev driver and if you force this instead of the synaptic driver, the trackpad has no response at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm experiencing this X crashes randomly with must of application - Chrome, Gimp, filemanager, a fresh start of the X.... And I'm getting really frustrated, I keep loosing part of my work and its really annoying...
    Is there any way to workaround this? Is there someone else with this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by mixer2 View Post
    @rockprincess

both seem to be problems with the video drivers. you use xorg-edgers, don't you? such bugs may appear and disappear from update to udpate. nightly builds just aren't stable.

Problem #1
    Try fn-f8 when the problem occurs. That may help (not permanently). Else strg-f1, strg-f7 could help.

Problem #2
    I think the video driver causes X to crash. Then X restarts and you find yourself on the login screen. Just use another browser till it's fixed. Maybe disabling gpu accelerated rendering in browser may help.
    disabling gpu accelerated rendering in browser does nothing to this =(

Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast