Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Also, I've tried installing Ubuntu 12.10, but I couldn't get the FN keys working by following this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/As...al_alternative

Beans

Smile Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Quote Originally Posted by mpereira1 View Post
    [...] Installing dkms before asus-wmi-dkms_999.01_all.deb isn't mentioned in the wiki, and I couldn't get the FN keys working without doing it. [...]
    The wiki entry points to this single post:
    Quote Originally Posted by nexero View Post
    [...] Just install this package using following code:
    Code:
    gzip -d asus-wmi-dkms_999.01_all.deb.gz
    sudo apt-get install dkms
    sudo dpkg -i asus-wmi-dkms_999.01_all.deb
    [...]
    It is there, as you can see
    But feel free to improve the wiki

Beans

Are there any bugreports made regarding the touchpad disable feature? If so, can you link them? Any other relevant bugreports.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi there,

I've follow the instruction in the wiki - Thanks to everybody who have contributed

After installing kerner 3.5.0.7 and applying the patch asus-wmi-dkms_0.2_all.deb I got all the expected function keys to work except for keyboard brightness... I've seen here in this thread that for some people this is working... Is there any way to know whats going on with my PC? are the keys ok? is from the system? or is it hardware?

Any advice?

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A/UX31A issues

Good success using my UX31A.

• I started with (K)Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits with latest updates. Then I installed asus-wmi-dkms_999.01_all.deb with dkms. This effectively makes all function keys work except the brightness keys.
    • I use scripts /usr/local/bin/backlight and /usr/local/bin/kbdlight to manipulate the lcd backlight and the keyboard backlight. These scripts are variants of the ArchLinux script. They support things like "backlight up", "backlight down", "backlight 40%", etc.
    • These script are derived from those found on the ArchLinux wiki. This is completed by script /etc/rc.local which sets permissions for these commands and the file /etc/modules which ensures that the appropriate modules are loaded before executing the rc.local file.
    • The latest Ubuntu updates contain xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.6.2-1ubuntu1 which contains clickpad support but does not get configured correctly by the kernel 3.2.0-27. I wrote a script named .Xprofile that is setup as an autostart job (using the control panel). This script sets the trackpad in clickpad mode, sets click areas for the middle and right buttons, sets palm detection and syndaemon, and also sets a more reasonable lcd backlight level.

The rest is for power saving:

• The file /etc/default/grub contains the incantation GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pcie_aspm=force nmi_watchdog=0"
    • File /etc/modprobe.d/leon-asus-tweak.conf controls more kernel options, including the microphone adjustment and the graphics stuff.
    • File /etc/udev/rules.d/10-runtime-pm.rules does things to pci devices.
    • File /etc/pm/config.d/sata_alpm does things to the sata interface.
    • File /etc/pm/power.d/99-leon-asus-tweak.sh (executable) controls the power saving changes when the machine runs on batteries. I reduce the backlight, and I remove the module rts5139 which handles the SD slot and eats nearly 1W by polling it fifty times per second. I can always modprobe it if I need to read a SD card.

Of course things would be nicer with the brightness keys. There seem to be two problems. First the keys are not detected by the wmi_asus device. Second the KDE code that sets the backlight does not work well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello leonbottou

How did you managed to make the kbdlight to work?
    I've the lcd backlight working with a costume script... However until now I wasn't able to make any thing with the kbdlight....

Quote Originally Posted by leonbottou View Post
    Good success using my UX31A.

• I started with (K)Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits with latest updates. Then I installed asus-wmi-dkms_999.01_all.deb with dkms. This effectively makes all function keys work except the brightness keys.
    • I use scripts /usr/local/bin/backlight and /usr/local/bin/kbdlight to manipulate the lcd backlight and the keyboard backlight. These scripts are variants of the ArchLinux script. They support things like "backlight up", "backlight down", "backlight 40%", etc.
    • These script are derived from those found on the ArchLinux wiki. This is completed by script /etc/rc.local which sets permissions for these commands and the file /etc/modules which ensures that the appropriate modules are loaded before executing the rc.local file.
    • The latest Ubuntu updates contain xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.6.2-1ubuntu1 which contains clickpad support but does not get configured correctly by the kernel 3.2.0-27. I wrote a script named .Xprofile that is setup as an autostart job (using the control panel). This script sets the trackpad in clickpad mode, sets click areas for the middle and right buttons, sets palm detection and syndaemon, and also sets a more reasonable lcd backlight level.

The rest is for power saving:

• The file /etc/default/grub contains the incantation GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pcie_aspm=force nmi_watchdog=0"
    • File /etc/modprobe.d/leon-asus-tweak.conf controls more kernel options, including the microphone adjustment and the graphics stuff.
    • File /etc/udev/rules.d/10-runtime-pm.rules does things to pci devices.
    • File /etc/pm/config.d/sata_alpm does things to the sata interface.
    • File /etc/pm/power.d/99-leon-asus-tweak.sh (executable) controls the power saving changes when the machine runs on batteries. I reduce the backlight, and I remove the module rts5139 which handles the SD slot and eats nearly 1W by polling it fifty times per second. I can always modprobe it if I need to read a SD card.

Of course things would be nicer with the brightness keys. There seem to be two problems. First the keys are not detected by the wmi_asus device. Second the KDE code that sets the backlight does not work well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi Leon,

I did not find a "Thanks!" button like the one on other forums, but you really made my day!

Cheers,

MicheleZ

Beans

Since a few days, the panel in unity is "blank" (no icons displayed), but is still working. Also there is no icons when doing task switching (alt+tab). I'm using xorg-edgers.
    Anyone who has the same problem or a suggestion for a solution?

Beans

See the script /usr/local/bin/kbdlight.
    The Fn keys do not work. But the script does.
    - L.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well I run the command and nothing happens

Code:
    cat /sys/class/leds/asus\:\:kbd_backlight/brightness 1
    /usr/local/bin$ ./kbdlight 
    /usr/local/bin$ cat/sys/class/leds/asus\:\:kbd_backlight/brightness 
    Any thing I should be doing differently?

Thanks

Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast