Thread: folder i/o error

Beans

folder i/o error

Hi,
    I have ubuntu server running on a box I use as a headless system, and I have had some problems with it over the last 6 months or so. I described the problem in a thread awhile back. I had had some trouble after upgrading to 11.10 (think that was the version). I inserted new ram, and the system then worked ok.

I had a similar problem recently, I noticed it when I was unable to write to my samba share. I pulled out the machine, re-seated the ram, then did an upgrade to 12.04....
    uname gives me this:
    Linux ubuntu-server 3.2.0-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon May 21 16:52:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

but, the problem I'm having now is that I'm unable to write to one of the folders on the machine. when I try to navigate to that folder with "cd /parent/code", I get:

-bash: cd: code: Input/output error

when I do "ls -al" I get the following for that folder:

d????????? ? ? ? ? ? code
    I'm unable to edit a file using vim, and Im unable to create a folder, I get an error saying that the file system is read-only.

Doe that mean the HD is corrupted? Not sure what to do about that, other than replace the HD. On a headless server system, what is the best way to make sure that the HD's and the system in general are reliable? I usually leave the server on all the time.

thanks,
    bp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: folder i/o error

Quote Originally Posted by badperson View Post
    Hi,
    I have ubuntu server running on a box I use as a headless system, and I have had some problems with it over the last 6 months or so. I described the problem in a thread awhile back. I had had some trouble after upgrading to 11.10 (think that was the version). I inserted new ram, and the system then worked ok.

I had a similar problem recently, I noticed it when I was unable to write to my samba share. I pulled out the machine, re-seated the ram, then did an upgrade to 12.04....
    uname gives me this:

but, the problem I'm having now is that I'm unable to write to one of the folders on the machine. when I try to navigate to that folder with "cd /parent/code", I get:

when I do "ls -al" I get the following for that folder:

I'm unable to edit a file using vim, and Im unable to create a folder, I get an error saying that the file system is read-only.

Doe that mean the HD is corrupted? Not sure what to do about that, other than replace the HD. On a headless server system, what is the best way to make sure that the HD's and the system in general are reliable? I usually leave the server on all the time.

thanks,
    bp
    At this point I would check the partition with the command fsck, Before you can do that you need to unmount the partition you wish to fsck. How many partitions are there on the disk? Is the partiton that holds /parent/code the same as the root (booting) partition. If so then you will have to bood form LiveCD or some bootable media and fsck the / (boot) partition that is giving you trouble. All of this can be done from the command line. The command to check and repair the file system is
    Code:
    sudo fsck </dev/sdan>  
    # where sdan is the partiton ID such as sda1 or sda2
    # If you have a second disk it might be sdb1 or 2
    This is only to see if you can fix the immediate problem. After that you might install smartmon tools to monitor the HDD in the future.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm not sure how this happens, but It may be permissions got messed up.

I do recall seeing a similar problem in the past. I don't recall the cause though.

Can you issue a chmod to change the permissions?

Code:
    sudo chmod 775 /parent/code
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans

hi,
    thanks for the replies. chmod did not have an effect, still got the same error. Here is what I get from sudo lshw -C disk:

*-disk:0
    description: ATA Disk
    product: HDS728080PLA380
    physical id: 0
    bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/sda
    version: PF2O
    serial: PFDB37SWSUTV7E
    size: 76GiB (82GB)
    capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
    configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=0001c97e
    *-disk:1
    product: WDC WD10EADS-00M
    vendor: Western Digital
    physical id: 1
    bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/sdb
    version: 01.0
    serial: WD-WCAV51010802
    size: 931GiB (1TB)
    configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=ca4a77fb
    *-disk:2
    description: SCSI Disk
    physical id: 2
    bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/sdc
    *-disk:3
    product: WDC WD10EADS-00M
    vendor: Western Digital
    physical id: 3
    bus info: scsi@3:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/sdd
    version: 01.0
    serial: WD-WCAV51013798
    size: 931GiB (1TB)
    configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=50c621e4
    *-cdrom
    description: DVD-RAM writer
    product: CDDVDW SH-S223C
    vendor: TSSTcorp
    physical id: 0.0.0
    bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/cdrom
    logical name: /dev/cdrw
    logical name: /dev/dvd
    logical name: /dev/dvdrw
    logical name: /dev/sr0
    version: SB00
    capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
    configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
    here are the relevant entries in /etc/fstab:

/dev/sdb1 /media/share ext3 defaults 0 2
    /dev/sdc1 /media/db1 ext3 defaults 0 2
    /dev/sdd1 /media/db2 ext3 defaults 0 2
    ~

/dev/sdc is the drive that contains the folder I'm having a problem with. Not sure why it's coming up as a scsi drive there. I'm pretty sure that when I did the upgrade a few weeks ago I tested that I could read/write on all the drives, but maybe I was wroing.

I thought I might pull out the machine and physically make sure the drives are all plugged in. BTW....this machine has one system HD (where i boot from) and three other hd's, /media/share, /media/db1 and /media/db2.

the folder in question in on /media/db1
    bp