Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Things to Use The Terminal For?

Beans

Best Things to Use The Terminal For?

I just discovered how much easier it is to copy all the files of a specific file extension from one folder to another using the terminal. for example i wanted to copy all my flacs off my mp3 player and convert them to mp3 because i was running out of space all i had to do was. cd /mp3 player then mv *.flac /outputdirectory so much simpler then locating all the flacs and copying and pasting. what are some other cool uses for the terminal?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Best Things to Use The Terminal For?

Anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

converting using libav or imagemagick for singular as well as batch

open a youtube video in vlc (makes for a lot smoother video) among numerous other every day tasks (I usually just have a terminal open from the moment I log in to when I log off.

when yo use ctrl+r and tab to search and auto complete commands, using he terminal becomes a very quick way to do things

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    I just discovered how much easier it is to copy all the files of a specific file extension from one folder to another using the terminal. for example i wanted to copy all my flacs off my mp3 player and convert them to mp3 because i was running out of space all i had to do was. cd /mp3 player then mv *.flac /outputdirectory so much simpler then locating all the flacs and copying and pasting. what are some other cool uses for the terminal?
    You know I never understood in the 21 century why we still use terminal and not GUI.Yes even OS X very easy to use will use terminal for some things.

It seems no one wants to move away from the terminal and use GUI.

I can see may be a recovery terminal .

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
    You know I never understood in the 21 century why we still use terminal and not GUI.Yes even OS X very easy to use will use terminal for some things.

It seems no one wants to move away from the terminal and use GUI.

I dont know about this. Im guessing that 99% of computer users never use the terminal and never want to use the terminal.

As for the OP, I always search for and install new programs through the terminal. It just seems easier to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
    You know I never understood in the 21 century why we still use Terminal and not GUI.Yes even OS X very eay to use will use Terminal for some things.

It seems no one wants to move away from the Terminal and use GUI.

"The GUI makes easy tasks easy, while the command line makes difficult tasks possible."

Yes, I agree that the GUI is the future, but sometimes with really difficult tasks, the terminal is much faster. Can you find all files that ends with .flac in a cesspool of directories, convert all of them to .mp3 and automagically moves all of them to a specific directory using the GUI?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Best Things to Use The Terminal For?
    Hmmm... typing commands, perhaps?

Given that I don't run Linux on the desktop, what I normally use a terminal for is remote access. I'll do updates and other administrative stuff.

Also, it's great on a Mac for gaining access to the music on your iPod and copying them back off to your computer.

Beans

For showing how knowledgeable you are of Ubuntu/showing off? Honestly in the latest release there is very little use for the terminal.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    Hmmm... typing commands, perhaps?
    LOL

I use the terminal for most of my task. Changing ownership and permissions of files, managing users accounts, moving files and removing them. And compiling programs from source..

I am sure there is much more I use it for. Just to tired to remember.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

rub one off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast