Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I send data from one ubuntu laptop to another via wireless or LAN?

Beans

How do I send data from one ubuntu laptop to another via wireless or LAN?

I'm trying to pull off data from my old dying laptop to my new one. They're both ubuntu. They're both on and connected to my wireless but I can't "sense" the other computer on either and transfer the data. I tried finding an old LAN cable and connecting them together but they still can't detect eachother.

What do I do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How do I send data from one ubuntu laptop to another via wireless or LAN?

network sharing would be one idea.

right click on a folder, and press 'sharing options'.

You'll have to install a windows adapted sharing utility on both computers, but it should work.

They both need to be on the network, not directly connected to each other.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thehumorouscheese View Post
    network sharing would be one idea.

right click on a folder, and press 'sharing options'.

You'll have to install a windows adapted sharing utility on both computers, but it should work.

They both need to be on the network, not directly connected to each other.
    How do you do that? I thought windows programs don't run on ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You are looking for the samba utility for Windows type sharing of files/folders, or NFS for a Linux/BSD/Unix approach.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ssh, ftp protocols should be added. I prefer ftp with login (installing of vsftp and some configuring is required).

Beans

I don't understand. I have ubuntu, not windows or unix.

I just have an ordinary Comcast home wireless set.

Both my laptops are open and connected to the internet wirelessly. I just want to see the other computer in my top-right corner Networks icon, click and drag some files and have the files go to the other computer, either through my wireless or through a short LAN cable.

Is there anyway to do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Use samba or ssh to share files easily. Samba is a Linux implementation of a windows protocol for file sharing, works pretty good. It's what is installed automatically if you share a folder from the gui.

To use Samba, just open nautilus, right click a folder you want to share, click sharing options, check share this folder, follow any one screen instructions. You may be asked to log out then log back in after it installs samba for the first time. Repeat to make sure the folder is shared.

Goto the other computer and do the same thing, you should be able to see the shares by opening nautilus, pressing "alt", type "net" then press enter, you should see both computers in here.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

I tried going on the files in my old laptop and clicking right-click -> Sharing Options -> Share this folder.

A message came up that said "You need to install the Windows networks sharing service in order to share your folders." I tried clicking "Install Service," and a download window appeared to pop up for a second, but an error message appeared. It says...

"W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...tu3.8_i386.deb.
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.181 80]"

The message is repeated 5 times. What do I do?

Beans

Also, what is Nautilus? I don't see anything named "Nautilus" when I right click on a file, in my top toolbar or icons or when I search both computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Is the laptop connected to the internet? If so which version of Ubuntu is it running?
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast