https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1019621

I'll try and turn up the heat there

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: The complete mess that is called Abiword

You folks might be interested in this article I just stumbled across:

AbiWord is ready to work with you

"On this article I will try to examine what is the current usability state of AbiWord, and whether it can replace LibreOffice writer for doing both simple and more advanced tasks."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    You folks might be interested in this article I just stumbled across:

AbiWord is ready to work with you

"On this article I will try to examine what is the current usability state of AbiWord, and whether it can replace LibreOffice writer for doing both simple and more advanced tasks."
    Thanks for that

I seriously increased the heat here:

One of the saddest things about FOSS is when users wrongfully call a project "dead". No doubt sometimes projects do die, but Abiword is NOT one of them.

The problem with Abiword in Precise is due to inadequate testing and as an iso-tester I'm a huge part of the problem

Right now I'm going to focus on a work-around and see how I come out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Thanks for that

I seriously increased the heat here:

One of the saddest things about FOSS is when users wrongfully call a project "dead". No doubt sometimes projects do die, but Abiword is NOT one of them.

The problem with Abiword in Precise is due to inadequate testing and as an iso-tester I'm a huge part of the problem

Right now I'm going to focus on a work-around and see how I come out
    I just +1ed the bug. Hope it gets fixed soon.
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was going to install this today from the Software Manager, but I guess I'll wait until it is stable. Thanks for posting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    You must be referring to me.

I'm glad to hear that the Abiword project isn't dead. Maybe comatose would have been better?
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    You must be referring to me.

I'm glad to hear that the Abiword project isn't dead. Maybe comatose would have been better?
    I didn't mean to pick on you if that's what you think

Abiword is simply having some trouble adapting to gtk-3, and they're not alone. I'm at fault here because I failed to adequately test Abiword during Precise development

I'm continually pushing for a new iso-tester recruitment effort but so far my whining seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Beans

Abiword is not dead in any way the stable version is still outstanding. Its a Ubuntu problem releasing alpha software happens all the time.
    The Dyslexic Moron. user 448495 running Arch Linux 64bt
    AMD 6000x2 64bit, Asus motherboard, 8Gb Ram,Nvidia 8500 1gb unboard ram graphics card, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, Sata 250 gb+Sata 500gb + 2 x 500 usb Hardrives,

Beans

Update: There is now a PPA available:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=25

I've come up with a temporary work-around, but you must know that this installs Oneiric packages that will NOT be updated w/o physical action by the user! The user also must follow through with changing the repos back to Precise after completing the conversion to Oneiric's version of Abiword, otherwise you'll fail to get appropriate updates to Precise - even security updates! My hope is that someone will get a PPA completed for Precise soon but if you're a brave soul or a tester here's what I came up with, just remember I'm only another end user, I can't be responsible for breakage!

Note: I have crosstested this with Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu - somewhat of a mix of amd64 and i386 installs - but I have NOT tested this with persistent live images! I made some "cross-distro" allowances when it comes to purging packages so you may notice messages like "not installed so not removed" and you'll notice that some "gtk-3" packages remain installed in Kubuntu, but we DO NOT want to purge any of the "gtk" packages in the other distros (apt-get -f install takes care of that when appropriate).

Final warning, if this breaks your Precise or eats your dog I want to know, but don't send a hit man after me!

I highly recommend that your Precise be upgraded before beginning so:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Also check for any package irregularities before proceeding:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    If any irregularities are present I highly recommend fixing them before proceeding.

So, if and when you're ready to begin, you must first purge the Precise version of 'abiword' and it's dependencies:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge abiword abiword-common abiword-plugin-grammar abiword-plugin-mathview libabiword-2.9 libgdome2-0 libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libgtkmathview0c2a liblink-grammar4 libloudmouth1-0 libots0 libtidy-0.99-0 libwv-1.2-4 link-grammar-dictionaries-en ttf-lyx -y
    When that is complete you must change to the Oneiric repos:

Code:
    sudo sed -i s'/precise/oneiric/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    But you absolutely must NOT "upgrade" or "dist-upgrade". Doing so could totally hose your OS!

Instead just run this as one command to install Oneiric's Abiword and it's dependencies:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install abiword -y
    Now you must place a "hold" on the Oneiric version of 'abiword' and it's dependencies:

Code:
    for p in abiword abiword-common abiword-plugin-grammar abiword-plugin-mathview libabiword-2.8 libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libaiksaurus-1.2-data libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libgdome2-0 libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a libgoffice-0.8-8 libgoffice-0.8-8-common libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libgtkmathview0c2a libjpeg62 liblink-grammar4 libloudmouth1-0 libots0 libwv-1.2-3 link-grammar-dictionaries-en ttf-lyx ; do echo $p hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections; done
    Now you absolutely must switch back to the Precise repos, failure to do so will cause you serious problems!

Code:
    sudo sed -i s'/oneiric/precise/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    Then update the repos again:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Check for package irregularities:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    You should see something like:

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 12 not upgraded. (14 not upgraded with Kubuntu)

If, or more likely when, you wish to release the "hold" on those packages in the future run:

Code:
    for p in abiword abiword-common abiword-plugin-grammar abiword-plugin-mathview libabiword-2.8 libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libaiksaurus-1.2-data libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libgdome2-0 libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a libgoffice-0.8-8 libgoffice-0.8-8-common libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libgtkmathview0c2a libjpeg62 liblink-grammar4 libloudmouth1-0 libots0 libwv-1.2-3 link-grammar-dictionaries-en ttf-lyx ; do echo $p install | sudo dpkg --set-selections; done
    Note: You will have to release that "hold" from time to time and rinse-n-repeat the above commands just to see if the Oneiric version of Abiword has been updated, but I've checked to the best of my abilty and none of the packages installed along with Abiword seem to carry a "security" tag. You'll also need to release that "hold" when a proper PPA becomes available or after Ubuntu corrects those packages in Precise!

I hope to hear that I actually ate NO OS's or dogs
    Last edited by kansasnoob; July 16th, 2012 at 11:43 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast