Thread: Gaming backdrop question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Gaming backdrop question

I made a game years ago in blitz basic and am currently rewriting it in C++. Its a simple maze type game a bit like chips challenge. Currently I have the screen divided into the gaming window in the top left part of the screen, which currently has a fixed resolution, and the rest of the screen is taken up by just a black border. If the resolution is changed then the amount of black area will change.
    I wanted to know what is the best way of filling this space to make it look a bit more pretty. I could draw something in a Paint type program and just load it in but then I would imagine I would need a fixed resolution otherwise it would look off when it got changed. Another possibility is to make a simple tile type image and just repeat it to fill what ever space there is.

Is there another option I may have missed?
    I'm using allegro 5 as my programming library and am entirely self taught at programming so may have missed something fairly obvious here.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Gaming backdrop question

Why not simply have the game window the same size as the actual window? That is, either make the game window fullscreen, or make your program not fullscreen.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Gaming backdrop question

I was thinking about that, I was hoping to use some decoration outside the window to make it look a bit nicer and possible have some information like the amount of time left before you have to move again and the number of keys left to pick up.
    Since I posted the initial question I've had a go with filling the background with a simple repeating tile. Looks ok so far and I've used this:

for(x =0; x<=SCREENWIDTH; x=x+22){
    for(y=0;y<=SCREENHEIGHT;y=y+24){
    al_draw_bitmap(wallBmp, x, y,0);
    }

So the number of tiles will change depending on the screen size (the tile is 22x24 pixels big)

It wasn't until i was typing the question that I thought up the idea of tiling it.
    Last edited by pieman711; June 16th, 2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: More info