Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

ok got it figured out. Do I have to start Freepops every time I want to check my mail ??
    If You Ask A Question, Please Read And Understand The Answer.

We're All Here, Because We're Not All There.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Fred_E _krugar View Post
    ok got it figured out. Do I have to start Freepops every time I want to check my mail ??
    Nope. The daemon will start when you start the pc. If you have sudden
    dysfunction on an account, run the updater - it will (should) have the new, current autoscript for signing into almost any web-based mail.

In case you have to start freepops manually run "freepopsd" in terminal. It will only run as long as the terminal is open, though.
    "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Beans

This is so frustrating! :@:@:@

I've spent almost 3 hours trying to get this to work with hotmail and the only thing I can do is read messages!
    I've just decided to screw it and use gmail as the smtp server.
    If anyone has a solution please email/pm me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Works great, thx

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by r3v3ng3 View Post
    This is so frustrating! :@:@:@

I've spent almost 3 hours trying to get this to work with hotmail and the only thing I can do is read messages!
    I've just decided to screw it and use gmail as the smtp server.
    If anyone has a solution please email/pm me
    If your local ISP smtp doesn't work or is not available, then I believe your hotmail/livemail would have to be a paid version. I know that it works just fine if you use the freepops updater, and "upgrade" or use livemail....I use it, as do many others - works fine.

Beans

is there a solution for this error?

Code:
    Unable to connect to POP server 127.0.0.1.
    Error sending password: -ERR Unable to find folder inbox on remote server
    I looked around alot and cannot find the solution will really appreciate it if you can point me to the right thread.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Truedream View Post
    is there a solution for this error?

Code:
    Unable to connect to POP server 127.0.0.1.
    Error sending password: -ERR Unable to find folder inbox on remote server
    I looked around alot and cannot find the solution will really appreciate it if you can point me to the right thread.
    I really need more info, but....if it is hotmail (the free kind) it could be a combination of things. Is your pop server set as "localhost:2000" (without the quotes) Unable to connect to POP server 127.0.0.1 is freepops/your machine. And the unable to find inbox thing looks like an imap, not pop issue. (you cannot imap hotmail, that I know of) Have you re-checked that you have .com instead of .net, etc....? Also make sure you have updated freepops with the supplied (but separate) updater? Re-check the details, and post back, or, post your current settings here....If your hotmail is provided through your ISP go back a few pages, there are posts about pop3 settings....

(sometimes just uninstalling and re-installing an email account will fix bugs)
    Last edited by mandrill; February 22nd, 2008 at 08:53 AM.

Beans

Worked perfect! Thanks for this great thread!

Beans

Junk folder problems?

Quote Originally Posted by klytu View Post
    To set up the additional Hotmail folders, you add a new hotmail account for each one. For example, I have a folder called "Programming" in my Hotmail account. To set it up in Evolution, I created a new Hotmail account using the steps in the howto, but for the username I used my_username@hotmail.com/Programming and named the new account Hotmail-Programming. Next in Evolution I created a mail folder called Programming. Then I set my message filters to send all mail from that new account to the Programming folder: Edit>Message Filters; Add; for search name I typed programming (I don't think it matters what you put there); Under "find items that meet the following criteria" changed "sender" "is" to "source account" "is" using the selection arrows and chose the new account created; under "then" "move to folder" selected the Programming folder I had created in Evolution. Now when I click "Send/Receive" mail from my Hotmail Programming folder is sent to the mail folder Programming in Evolution.
    I tried this for my Junk folder but it tells me my password is wrong! I've put my Hotmail password in and it's working fine for my Inbox but won'y accept it for the Junk folder - have i missed something?

PS; This is day 2 of my Ubuntu PC -I decided to give it a try on my desktop after my daughter downloaded a trojan which fried my Windows XP installation. It seems great for email and the web so far. If I didn't need MS Office for work I'd probably put Ubuntu on my laptop too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by voodew View Post
    I can't find any info regarding up-to-date webdav policies. I sent hotmail support an email requesting information on WebDAV access, I'll post the response once I get it. I've had my account since 2002 and I have webdav access. The newest article I've seen is from 2004. Hopefully, I get a response, but if it's an arbitrary process, I doubt I will.

If you don't have webdav access, I suspect that you wouldn't be able to access your account from Outlook Express or Outlook. Can anyone verify this?
    I remember reading on the MSN site some time ago that new Hotmail accounts won't work with Outlook Express but older accounts which have already been used with Outlook Epress will continue to operate that way. I've always used my Hotmail via Outlook Express (until recently, it won't run on Vista so i have to use Windows Live Mail now). Presumably old accounts which have never been used with Outlook Express don't have webdav activated and now that Microsoft have changed their policy (to prevent Hotmail being used to send automated spam) webdav can't be activated unless you're willing to pay for it.

I'd like to be able to continue using Outlook Express or something as similar as possible with my Hotmail - it appears that Evolution will work but isn't able to download my Junk folder. (I use it to separate mail form mailing lists - such as this one - from personal and business emails which go to my inbox).

Would I have any more success with Thunderbird or another program?

thanks

Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast