Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 498

Thread: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

  1. #301
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Beans
    316
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by pmrb View Post
    Thank you for the tutorial. I get it to work, but my problem is that a wanna left the messages on the server, and when i remove them in evolution the message is not removed within the server. Anyone can help me with this?
    Not being sarcastic, but, what? You want to leave your messages on the hotmail server or you don't? If you want to leave your messages on the server for later, in Evolution click "Edit > preferences > hotmail acct > edit > receiving options > and check the box that says "Leave Messages on Server"

    Ciao!
    Last edited by mandrill; October 2nd, 2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: left out a step
    "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

  2. #302
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    4

    Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

    Yes I want to leave messages on the server, and they are.
    But the problem is that when i delete messages in evolution, they are not removed in the server.
    I've used thunderbird before and he was able to do this, even leaving messages on the server when I erased in the thunderbird they also were removed from the server.
    Last edited by pmrb; October 2nd, 2008 at 05:22 PM.

  3. #303
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Beans
    22
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by mandrill View Post
    See the post 2 posts directly above. Got a picture on it just like the one to your left......
    Is Freepops another separate program from Evolution? Because I prefer if I could use Evolution to check my Hotmail, since I use it to check my other e-mail accounts (Gmail, etc.). I just prefer if they shared the same mail program for convenience.

  4. #304
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Beans
    316
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by rinishak View Post
    Is Freepops another separate program from Evolution? Because I prefer if I could use Evolution to check my Hotmail, since I use it to check my other e-mail accounts (Gmail, etc.). I just prefer if they shared the same mail program for convenience.
    Yes, Freepops is separate, although it comes standard in some distros - its even in the repositories, but that version is usually out of date, and you have to remember the command line (freepops-updater-fltk) to update the sign-in scripts, or make a launcher, whereas doing it this way makes it easier for noobs, as there is a graphical interface to the updater.

    And the whole point of this discussion is that you can get ANY (well, almost any) webmail, or email, or rss feed you want through whatever email client you wish. Bada-Bing.
    "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Beans
    316
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by pmrb View Post
    Yes I want to leave messages on the server, and they are.
    But the problem is that when i delete messages in evolution, they are not removed in the server.
    I've used thunderbird before and he was able to do this, even leaving messages on the server when I erased in the thunderbird they also were removed from the server.
    As for you, you say "Yes I want to leave messages on the server" and then you say "the problem is that when i delete messages in evolution, they are not removed in the server."

    Strange, but just to test it out, I unchecked the box "Leave messages on server" , sent myself an email, got it on evolution, deleted it, then signed into hotmail website directly, and, POOF! No emails. (As a matter of fact, I did it twice, just to make sure). So, you have to decide if you want the little box checked or unchecked. (Lets move along, nothing to see here....)
    "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Eastern United States
    Beans
    396

    Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by mandrill View Post
    As for you, you say "Yes I want to leave messages on the server" and then you say "the problem is that when i delete messages in evolution, they are not removed in the server."

    Strange, but just to test it out, I unchecked the box "Leave messages on server" , sent myself an email, got it on evolution, deleted it, then signed into hotmail website directly, and, POOF! No emails. (As a matter of fact, I did it twice, just to make sure). So, you have to decide if you want the little box checked or unchecked. (Lets move along, nothing to see here....)
    In your test, the message wasn't deleted in Hotmail because you deleted it in Evolution. Rather, it was deleted because you unchecked the box "Leave messages on server". Without that box checked, messages are deleted from Hotmail whenever Evolution downloads them.

    I think what the original poster might be looking for was a way for Evolution mail to be in sync with Hotmail so that whatever appears in Hotmail appears in Evolution or vice-versa. I don't know how to accomplish this with Hotmail and Evolution.
    "Klaatu barada nikto"
    On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape button.
    Registered Linux User 424417

  7. #307
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Beans
    316
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by klytu View Post
    In your test, the message wasn't deleted in Hotmail because you deleted it in Evolution. Rather, it was deleted because you unchecked the box "Leave messages on server". Without that box checked, messages are deleted from Hotmail whenever Evolution downloads them.

    I think what the original poster might be looking for was a way for Evolution mail to be in sync with Hotmail so that whatever appears in Hotmail appears in Evolution or vice-versa. I don't know how to accomplish this with Hotmail and Evolution.
    If Evolution is set to download the entire message, thereby leaving no messages on the server, they are, by definition, in sync. You can download just the headers, to see if you want the whole message or not, but the whole point of this exercise is to save steps, not create more. Then again, he could just put a link to hotmail on his desktop, thereby making it really (expletive deleted) simple.
    "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

  8. #308
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    4

    Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

    klytu,you got it. That is what i want to do...
    I think i'll have to use thunderbird again.

  9. #309
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    14

    Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

    Guys. Why can't this be just simply understood? If M$ does it (and has done it for a long time), then Ubuntu should do it. Here's a pic of what we want.

    A simple check box that says "Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted' items".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outlook.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	87215  

  10. #310
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Beans
    316
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by filibertov View Post
    Guys. Why can't this be just simply understood? If M$ does it (and has done it for a long time), then Ubuntu should do it. Here's a pic of what we want.

    A simple check box that says "Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted' items".
    How about edit > preferences > mail preferences > delete mail? Notice the expunge box.

    And this isn't M$....what we have here is very common - folks thinking in one language (windows) and having to communicate in another language (linux) and it doesn't work. You have to learn to think in linux. I've been doing it every day for 15 months, and I'm still a noob.

    To answer your question "Why can't this be just simply understood?" I have 2 answers for you. 1) As far as I can tell, the original question has been answered well and effectively, and 2) You must have had some kind of learning curve on windows, right? Easier when you are younger for sure, but doesn't it follow then that there is a learning curve here as well? Relax. It's just another (self-inflicted) challenge!
    Last edited by mandrill; October 4th, 2008 at 03:33 AM.
    "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •