Thread: Proper file system folder for Thunderbird program files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Proper file system folder for Thunderbird program files?

For various reasons, I manually installed Thunderbird 11.0 on my Ubuntu 11.04 laptop. I've locked down 11.04 since most everything works right on my machine, so I am not doing auto updates of much of anything. I found and installed Thunderbird 11.0 manually and it works fine.

I only know enough Ubuntu stuff to make myself dangerous though, and in doing this, I ended up with various versions of Thunderbird all over my file system.

I can start the Thunderbird version I want by navigating to the desired folder and running that shell script. But any thunderbird shortcut I create for my task panel ends up opening the default older version of Thunderbird, or not working at all. And
    no "mailto" links will openThunderbird anymore, even though browsers etc. show Thunderbird as the app to use.

I have created a mess. Where should all my Thunderbird 11 files be; meaning, in which folder -- usr/lib? or usr/lib/thunderbird? or usr/bin? or usr/[username] ? or...? Yes, I have tried all those places and more...

If I remove thunderbird entirely using the software center, and then re-install it, I end up getting an old version again, even though I have updated the repository. And not all thunderbird files are removed -- the ones I stuck in odd places myself still remain of course.

What's the simplest way of cleaning this up or at least getting my mailto links and panel shortcuts working again?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Proper file system folder for Thunderbird program files?

If you have Synaptic installed, you can search for Thunderbird, right click on it, and choose Properties. In that window, click the "Installed Files" tab, and it will show you all of the directories that Thunderbird is installed to, which are a lot.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Typically, user programs should go under /usr/bin/ - see here for a complete list: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

Beans
    Hidden!

Use the ppa for TB and you can get v13.

Use command
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/thunderbird-stable
    and you are good to go, though you may need to try to get rid of all the manually installed cruft related to the various installations you've made.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well I figured out the thunderbird folder for my version needed to be in /usr/lib, but that I needed the link to the shell script for that version to be in /usr/bin. So my main concerns above have been solved! Panel shortcut works, mailto links work, etc. These tips helped me search and learn, thanks. I should still clean up the extra files though.

I had run
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/thunderbird-stable
    several times but only just now discovered "force version" in Synaptic, so that explains why the old version kept re-installing, despite my best effors.

There was some issue I had with Thunderbird 12, which I why I went down to 11... I cannot recall what though. I use Lightning with it, maybe it was tied to that? Next time I feel adventurous I'll try Thunderbird 13. Does the Thunderbird Indicator plugin work with it? It doesn't work with Thunderbird 11 and I do miss it. I get the bubble notifications, but no colored indicator on the envelope icon.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

That's the main problem with using the PPA. Sometimes it takes a while for some of the addons to catch up.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss