Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of response to critical issues on launchpad

Beans

Lack of response to critical issues on launchpad

As somebody affected by https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/973096, I've lost faith in Canonical's process. I fully understand that software ships with bugs, but a) critical bugs (i.e. those which entirely crash Ubuntu, making it unusable) should be fixed as quickly as possible as they come up; and b) Canonical should be dedicating resources to responding to Launchpad tickets (at the least a "we're aware of this" or "we're working on it" would go a long way.)

This bug has 17 dupes, and 166 affectees. The relevant people in Canonical HAVE to be aware of it. And yet no comment at all, aside from an initial comment from Bryce asking for more details.

What gives, Canonical?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Lack of response to critical issues on launchpad

canonical is not responsible for nvidia drivers in any way, nvidia is.

Beans

Fingerpointing is not the answer here. Canonical ship the "stable version" of the driver. If it's crashing, they should pull it and revert to stable via an update. And at the least they should post workarounds in launchpad tickets.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If Canonical were to pull the drivers that affect perhaps a small ,percentage-wise, base of users, it could have serious affects on the larger percentage-wise user base, who have benefited from the newer drivers. Putting all users at that risk is logically unreasonable. (Sorry if my wording seems weird, I'm having a rather off day)

Beans

Canonical is not responsible? Other Linux distributions are also affected by this bug?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Personally, I would disagree with the statement that Canonical is "not responsible" for the quality of stuff they distribute with their product. IF they aren't, then who is?

But on a practical basis, other than opening a bug report, what are you going to do? Not buy the next version of their product? Since it's FREE, they're not going to lose any revenue on that front.

Switch to another distro? Remember all the whining when (1) Unity came out, and (2) Mint got higher numbers on distrowatch than Ubuntu?

Well, Canonical is still there, still cranking out new Ubuntu releases -- and still pushing Unity, harder than ever!

But seriously, lots of other good distros are available for FREE from distrowatch. You should try some and see if they have the same problem.
    Ubuntu 19.10 Mate, Mint 19.2 Mate; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by jbyvosges View Post
    Canonical is not responsible? Other Linux distributions are also affected by this bug?
    I am not sure about Canonical responsibility, but the Nvidia bug also affects other Linux distributions.
    See www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176404 where the bug is reported to Nvidia, and where Nvidia Employer 'Sandipt' reported that the bug ID is '970240'. Their last response is from April 19th.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Fingerpointing is not the answer here. Canonical ship the "stable version" of the driver. If it's crashing, they should pull it and revert to stable via an update. And at the least they should post workarounds in launchpad tickets.
    stable is what nvidia calls stable, not canonical.

What if the problem exists because the code base of 12.04 is too new for the drivers nvidia calls 'latest stable' and there is no way around it? Do you expect Canonical to roll back the whole stack, kernel, X and whatnot?

in that launchpad entry one guy (post #111) claims that drivers from http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=2557224 fix the problem (beta not stable).

Beans

Fingerpointing absolutely is the answer here. Canonical most certainly is responsible for the impression that people get of Ubuntu, and if the impression of 12.04 is that it is unreliable, ugly and a waste of time, then it is up to Canonical to fix that problem or else suffer the consequence of people deserting Ubuntu. Perception is everything. Simply shrugging the shoulders and saying "someone else's problem" is not what a professional software organisation does.

I had been using 10.10 for the last two years with no problems whatsoever. Switching to 12.04 has been a nightmare that has wasted a lot of my time over the last couple of months. Even matters seemingly trivial as scrollbars have been a huge timewaster - those overlay scrollbars ruined my work on a graphics application - every time I was drawing near the side of the screen, the scrollbar would pop up and get in the way of my mouse. Took me ages to find the trick to disable them.

Something as serious as the desktop crashing, losing hours of work, is something that Canonical should be taking very, very seriously indeed, no matter where the problem actually lies. It is childish just to say "it's nVidia's fault". Fix the damn problem, and grow up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So you compare design choices of in-house desktop environment that can be disabled/uninstalled/have annoying parts removed by the user (have you tried? overlay can be disabled/uninstalled, global menu can be disabled/uninstalled) with the proprietary drivers you have no control of? Canonical can say 'nvidia fix your drivers, pretty please' all they want but when nvidia answers 'we'll do it when we feel like it' that's the end of story. Canonical is no 900lbs gorilla called Microsoft that asks the vendor 'nicely' for drivers 'or else...' and gets them right off the bat with a pretty smile.

If you don't want crashing drivers, go with open source nouveau for a while and wait for nvidia to wake up.
    Last edited by Vaphell; June 14th, 2012 at 09:47 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast