Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ***GRUB Error*** Please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: ***GRUB Error*** Please help.

Even if you change boot device order in CMOS setup, some computers (like my Dell laptop) still boot from hard drive first unless you press a certain key during BIOS splash screen. On some computers that key is F12 and others might be Esc (based on computers I have).

Maybe that is to avoid booting from CD or DVD that possibly has something malicious on it. The only virus I ever caught was a boot sector virus spread by floppy disks a long time ago (Stoned Empire Monk or Monkey virus).

So see if your BIOS splash screen shows a key to press to select boot device on the fly. For my tablet PC I actually had to enable it to even list the F12 device selection in the BIOS splash screen. If no disks boot from your CD or DVD drive, you are probably not booting the drive you think you are.
    Last edited by efflandt; June 14th, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans

Mine is the same F12 to choose where to boot from and ESC to change the Order of the booting process. I've tried both ways but it keeps giving me the error or no such partition.

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post
    Even if you change boot device order in CMOS setup, some computers (like my Dell laptop) still boot from hard drive first unless you press a certain key during BIOS splash screen. On some computers that key is F12 and others might be Esc (based on computers I have).

Maybe that is to avoid booting from CD or DVD that possibly has something malicious on it. The only virus I ever caught was a boot sector virus spread by floppy disks a long time ago (Stoned Empire Monk or Monkey virus).

So see if your BIOS splash screen shows a key to press to select boot device on the fly. For my tablet PC I actually had to enable it to even list the F12 device selection in the BIOS splash screen. If no disks boot from your CD or DVD drive, you are probably not booting the drive you think you are.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Threads merged. Please do not hijack another person's thread.

Thank you.
    Charles
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

I dont know if this might help,

when i enter ls in the grub rescue it returns
    (hd0) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1)

but when i type in set, it returns as

prefix=(hd0,msdos5)/boot/grub

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12