Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 stuck at the boot loading screen , can't reach login screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Ubuntu 12.04 stuck at the boot loading screen , can't reach login screen.

Hi everyone !

I think , I need your help .Well I need your help

1. I can't reach my login screen , its stuck at the loading boot screen where the Ubuntu logo is .
    2. This problem occur when I remove gdm , and try to reinstall back lightdm.
    3. Now I can't do anything much, because I just don't know how.

4. My idea is...chroot into the system using a live cd, and install back either gdm or lightdm. The thing is I don't know how, because I tried and I failed. (any links?)

anyone can help me with an easier way ?

thank you in advanced.

p/s I'm at my work place using a laptop, can't reach the computer for now...
    How to Purge and Reinstall Grub2 from live CD go here
    How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2
    URL="http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/07/upgrade-video-drivers-through-ppas.html"]upgrade video drivers thourgh ppas[/URL]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 stuck at the boot loading screen , can't reach login screen.

Quote Originally Posted by maizuddin35 View Post
    1. I can't reach my login screen , its stuck at the loading boot screen where the Ubuntu logo is .
    2. This problem occur when I remove gdm , and try to reinstall back lightdm.
    3. Now I can't do anything much, because I just don't know how.
    4. My idea is...chroot into the system using a live cd, and install back either gdm or lightdm. The thing is I don't know how, because I tried and I failed. (any links?)
    The most direct and safe (for your data) is to mount and back up your home directory (your data), then do a fresh install of Ubuntu to restore your system.

If you continue attempts to repair your system, I would still recommend backing up your data

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Try getting in a tty (press Ctrl+Alt+F1), login and run this command:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    Try getting in a tty (press Ctrl+Alt+F1), login and run this command:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    Can I get into tty when the splash boot is loading ? i think I may try to do it.
    URL="http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/07/upgrade-video-drivers-through-ppas.html"]upgrade video drivers thourgh ppas[/URL]

Beans
    Distro

i can't reconfigure it back, due to the "no network" connection. Im using wireless connection and sometimes tethered with my mobile phone.

does backing up my data and install it back is the only solution ?