Thread: Which kernel package?

Beans

Which kernel package?

Sometime ago I got behind with the auto updates with the kernel on my Ubuntu Server 12.04 box because of the /boot directory getting full and I finally figured out how to delete some of the oldest kernels to free up space. Well now aptitude no longer is reporting the kernel updates under "Upgradable Packages". My question is if I do it manually with aptitude; which package under "Not Installed Packages -> kernel -> main" am I looking for. I would manage the auto update stopped because I got a few updates versions behind with the kernel. This is the output from uname -a

Linux server1 3.2.0-33-generic-pae #52-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 18 16:39:21 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Another reminder this is Server - not Desktop so mentioning using Synaptic or any gui tools is not an option. I am using aptitude. It does mention about not installing the particular kernel package directly but installing one of the meta packages instead.

Beans

Re: Which kernel package?

Okay, after doing some more research I found over at askubuntu.com something about another user having the same issue when using apt-get and it was suggested by someone that they might have accidentally removed the Linux meta-package and suggested doing a
    apt-get install linux. I tried this and this is this is the output I receive:

administrator@server1:~$ sudo apt-get install linux
    [sudo] password for administrator:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    linux-image linux-image-3.2.0-36-generic-pae linux-image-generic-pae
    Suggested packages:
    fdutils linux-doc-3.2.0 linux-source-3.2.0 linux-tools
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    linux linux-image linux-image-3.2.0-36-generic-pae linux-image-generic-pae
    0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 38.2 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 113 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

I want to make sure this is the correct course of action before I type "y".

Beans

I'm NOT a kernel expert but that looks OK to me - the way I understand it, linux-image is the overall meta package, then linux-image-generic-pae is the specific meta package for your architecture, then linux-image-N.N.N-nn-generic-pae is the actual current kernel image for that architecture

Code:
    $ apt-cache depends linux-image
    linux-image
      Depends: linux-image-generic-pae
    $ 
    $ apt-cache depends linux-image-generic-pae
    linux-image-generic-pae
      Depends: linux-image-3.2.0-36-generic-pae
      Depends: linux-firmware
    $

Beans

Okay, I went ahead and did that. Upgrade went fine and I rebooted. It works fine.