Thread: Static address prevents access to internet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Static address prevents access to internet

I have a Virtual Machine acting as a MineCraft server, and I have been trying to specify a static address on it so that I won't have to worry about it changing. However, every time I change it, it prevents any access to anything but the machine it is on. I have done a network map, just to make sure that there was no IPv4 address conflict, but there is no conflict (I really only have 4 devices on that subnet).

Current devices on the network:

Desktop - 192.168.0.5 (via DHCP)
    Server - 192.168.0.32 (static)

Addresses I've tried:

192.168.0.2 (Was previously assigned via DHCP)
    192.168.0.6 (Was previously assigned via DHCP)

No matter what, when I assign a static address, it will not communicate with anything aside from the host machine it is on. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Static address prevents access to internet

An Internet Protocol address (IP address) is a numerical label assigned to each device (e.g., computer, printer) participating in a computer network that uses the Internet Protocol for communication.An IP address serves two principal functions: host or network interface identification and location addressing. Its role has been characterized as follows: "A name indicates what we seek. An address indicates where it is. A route indicates how to get there."

Beans
    Distro

I do understand what an IP address is, what function it serves, etc.

What I want to know, is why giving it any static address renders the VM unable to communicate with anything other than the host.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

What DNS nameserver did you give?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro

They don't have a DNS name server at this point, as I don't have a domain yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

No matter what, when I assign a static address, it will not communicate with anything aside from the host machine it is on.
    And how are you trying to communicate? Can you ping the router? Can you:
    Code:
    ping -c3 8.8.8.8
    Without a DNS nameserver, you will not be able to reach the internet by name. It needn't be your own domain.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro

I'm not sure what happened, but to get my facts straight, I followed the first (and so far best rated answer) from Bart De Vos at this URL:

http://superuser.com/questions/35712...th-a-static-ip

I not only specified the address, and mask, but also network, gateway, and broadcast. Now, the machine can communicate with the rest of my network. I'm sorry I mis-typed the topic; getting it to access the internet was an issue, but not the one I was attempting to address.

Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by Rhemat; June 12th, 2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: More accurate details