Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: external hard drive acting like a virus

Beans

Re: external hard drive acting like a virus

Well, I chose the right forum, anyway. I'm more of a n00b than I realized! ALL my computer experience before this past January (discounting a few months in 1987 with a Tandy) has been with Windows.

mastablasta, I had no idea! I did know that NTFS was Windows, but I didn't know that it mattered since it was working fine until now. I will read the links later this afternoon and look for a SeaGate disk (which I don't remember having).

Does this mean that if I go back to a dual boot (because none of my language programs work in Ubuntu) I have to divide the ext hd, too? I was under the impression that hard drives (unless they held the OS) were plug and go... except I should have known, 'cause my son's Mac neets FAT files

Sidewinder1, I was chuckling all through your explanation of Seagate not being as good as it was. I had two Western Digital disks die withing a year of purchase and I was lucky to retrieve any data. That's why this one is a SeaGate. I'm guessing quality everywhere is down.

More n00biness, I thought mounted meant connected and never would have thought to unmount it. (And yes, I'm bad about reading directions.)

The antivirus (on my Windows laptop) is still running after 17 hours of deep scanning this drive, so I still don't know what it found....

OK a Trojan and some unwanted adware. Getting rid of that should help. Next step, figuring out how to reformat the hd with 600 mb already on it.

Thanks for all the help!

Beans

Finally had my brother, visiting from the opposite coast, take a look at it. He put everything on the drive into a folder and now it's fine. Apparently there was an auto run on the drive and it ran as soon as it was turned on. I merely need to find the auto run (I think I know what it is) and delete it.

Thanks for the help. I learn from it, even when it doesn't directly solve my problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

@ mastablasta, @ Sidewinder1; just to let you know that, your very fruitful discussion (diatribe, according to some..) helped me solve a somewhat related, though different issue with a non-showing hard drive. So, Kudos from the evesdropper in the flanks! Just thought you might want to know...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12