Thread: Quanta Plus installed on 12.04

Beans

Quanta Plus installed on 12.04

Hi all

I am wanting to install Quanta plus, a web design package. Its a KDE package, and my question is, is it possible to install kde packages on a system running Ubuntu 12.04.

Im asking because I ran configure and it wanted kde-config. Is it safe to install or will it screw my system up?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Quanta Plus installed on 12.04

No problem at all in having KDE libraries on an Ubuntu system. They are only used by the programs that need them and don't affect other stuff.

Is this a package you need to compile? If so, you'll need to install the -dev versions of libraries as well.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans

Thank you,

How do I get the Dev versions of the necessary libraries?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The -dev versions are in the repositories. I prefer to use Synaptic to find them (haven't worked out how to do that with the Software Centre).

They are needed in addition to the normal libraries. E.g. you might have libreadline6 installed already but you'd need to add libreadline6-dev if a program needs libreadline6 in order to compile. Sometimes, the -dev versions are named a little differently from the base libraries, and it's a case of trial and error to find the right one.

Don't be surprised if you end up doing a little hair-tearing when trying to compile something. It's been a year or two since I compiled anything, but I certainly remember cursing when trying to figure out what I hadn't installed.

But I think it's worth it in the end.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

How exactly and what packages needed to be installed to get quanta running? I can't find quanta package from standard repos??

I'm defaulting to kdevelop (with php) before I get quanta running on 12.04...

EDIT: Nevermind I'm going back to 11.04.
    Last edited by finni; June 13th, 2012 at 07:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I remember Quanta. I don't believe it was upgraded to the Qt4 libraries when KDE went from version 3 to version 4. A version from 2008 is at kde-apps.org, but I suspect you will need to install the KDE3 libraries to use it. You will find neither Quanta or the KDE3 libraries in Ubuntu's repositories. I saw a few scattered references to an attempt to revive it but I have no idea of its status.

As for KDE on Ubuntu, it's quite nice. Installing a single KDE program is likely to bring in a good number of KDE files as dependencies. You might notice some KDE entries in your menus, but that's all. (If you install all of KDE -- the "kde-full" package, you will see many KDE menu entries.)