Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Games Thread

Beans
    Hidden!

Free Games Thread

What's your favourite free/open source game?
    (This includes both browser based games, and local games)

i'll start off with a awesome one:

http://wz2100.net/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Free Games Thread

SuperTuxKart!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

No longer open source but still completely free:

http://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oh boy, were do I begin?
    Short answer: naev - found it while I was cruising github. Compiled it, solved some weird problems with libsdl and spent months playing it. I have no regrets regarding the lost time .

Long answer: started with OpenArena, continued with tuxkart, more shooters and a dozen of board games. Last year I discovered naev and pioneerspacesim on github (sorry if I mispelled the name). I had to compile them from source. naev is in beta and pioneer was in alpha. Interesting concepts both - I am a sucker for sf themed games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP24 View Post
    Oh boy, were do I begin?
    Short answer: naev - found it while I was cruising github. Compiled it, solved some weird problems with libsdl and spent months playing it. I have no regrets regarding the lost time .

Long answer: started with OpenArena, continued with tuxkart, more shooters and a dozen of board games. Last year I discovered naev and pioneerspacesim on github (sorry if I mispelled the name). I had to compile them from source. naev is in beta and pioneer was in alpha. Interesting concepts both - I am a sucker for sf themed games.
    Oh mate, you missed out by not owning a Mac.

Naev is a clone of the classic Macintosh game Escape Velocity, which also spawned two sequels (Escape Velocity: Override which was my favourite, and Escape Velocity: Nova). Override's universe feels real and alive, and full of surprises. You'll actually feel compelled to destroy any Voinian ships in the Emalgha system to save the poor Emalgha in their little wooden fighter craft

It's fair to say that Naev is a clone of EV's game engine, with a totally new story and assets. But if you can get your hands on an older Mac running Mac OS 9, you absolutely MUST play the original Escape Velocity and Override. Or if you have Windows, download Nova as it's also pretty good and available for Windows - you can only get so far before paying though.

So yes, Escape Velocity: Override is my favourite free game of all time, but not especially easy for Linux users to play due to it only being available for Mac OS 9!

My other candidate for best free game is Marathon 2, also a classic sci-fi Mac game. Can be played on Linux with the Aleph One engine. Pretty awesome single-player FPS that runs on practically anything - it used to be playable on a 25MHz Mac. And a third candidate from my Mac days was Bolo, a multiplayer top-down tank game.

Currently I'm a bit addicted to Top Gun, which is a browser-based game on Facebook. If you hate Facebook then try Hobowars, also a browser-based game but not a Facebook one.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; June 11th, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

supertux!

Beans

Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro