Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 Recent Update Breaks Network Services

Hybrid View

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 Recent Update Breaks Network Services

All,

I recently updated ubuntu using the automatic update and it broke my network services. Luckily, after a lot of research and history I found the solution and want to post it for everyone who runs into this issue.

For starters after the upgrade when turning the computer on I got the message "Waiting for network configuration" and "waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration"

After it finally booted i had no network access wireless or on the lan. When i tried opening the network tool i got the error "The system network services are not compatible with this version"

FInally the fix that I came up with:

There appears to be an issue with the latest update of network manager. If you open software center, go to history, search keyword "Network" you will probably see "network-manager (0.9.4.0-0ubuntu4, 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu4.1)"

If you see this then you have the same problem as I did. The solution is to downgrade to version 3: Search in google "ubuntu network-manager package" and select the ubuntu.com link -> scroll down the page to "network-manager-dbg" select the precise (debug) ubuntu3 version.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/network-manager-dbg

Download the 4 related packages for your system (amd64 or i386):

network-manager (= 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3)
    network management framework (daemon and userspace tools)
    or libnm-util2 (= 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3)
    network management framework (shared library)
    or libnm-glib4 (= 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3)
    network management framework (GLib shared library)
    or libnm-glib-vpn1 (= 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3)
    network management framework (GLib VPN shared library)

install each of them using the command "sudo dpkg -i FILENAME"

restart your computer and that should fix your problem! I hope this helps some and for those of you in the know can you please report this most recent update as broken? Thanks and good luck!
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 26th, 2013 at 09:18 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 Recent Update Breaks Network Services (FIXED)

Yes I upgraded today, had same messages and network stopped working. Same error from network tool.
    I'll try your suggestion.

My hw is Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H with integrated Realtek 8211CL chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)

Using 12.04 32-bit.

Beans

Worked for me also, thank you dwerski!

Downgrading these packages fixed also my broken bluetooth, logitech dinovo edge wasn't working after the upgrade.

Is there a bug reported for this issue?

How I can set not to upgrade these packages until problem is fixed?

Beans

currently while trying to down grade and install network manager am facing "dependency message" which could not let me complete the installation after trying to install the four files in different sequence it seems to work(no error message appeared)but nothing changed after I install and restart the system
    Last edited by Belayneh Arega; June 13th, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Beans

apply the dependency package prior to install the network-manager package.

Beans

Thanks for this.

However as this was a desktop machine on ethernet instead of reverting to a previous version I disabled NetworkManager as per http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/03/...neiric-ocelot/ except I changed the last edit to:-

iface eth0 inet dhcp

Beans

Thanks!!! Since the internet wasn't working because of this, and i was on a virtual machine, i had manually download the .deb files using the host machine, create an iso image containing them (the amd64 versions) and mount it.. but then installing them in the right order (as chslaxcoach described) worked!

i have one more question...

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka76 View Post
    How I can set not to upgrade these packages until problem is fixed?

Beans

good morning,

I just ran into this issue this morning on my 12.04 ssytem. The system was freshly installed two days ago, and the update that broke it apparently came down to it yesterday. The thing is - my networking is working fine (ie I can browse the net fine, and I can use remote desktop to it) but I can't get the network manager gui interface to work. I tried installing the packages listed in the OP here, rebooted the system and saw no change.

If it's relevant, the system is a virtual system on a vmware esxi host. Anyone have a suggestion for what I should attempt to do?

edit:

I seem to have fixed the issue, or it fixed itself; one of the two... After attempting to install the above packages (and it not working properly) I of course kept searching google. I found a page that said the person checked the available updates (of which there were avail updates for the networking stuff) which I allowed to install, then I rebooted (twice, actually; not sure the second time was actually necessary though). I confirmed there was no avail updates, then installed the above packages in the order that chslaxcoach mentioned, rebooted a couple more times and it started working properly.
    Last edited by dceola; July 19th, 2012 at 02:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I... fail to see how one can google and download packages when the network is down. So, the real answer is to make a backup, install 12.04 from scratch and hope that an upgrade doesn't break the system - again? I don't know, but that doesn't feel fixed for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by drewski22785 View Post
    All,

If you see this then you have the same problem as I did. The solution is to downgrade to version 3:
    Thanks for pointing this out. I had the same problem, however a simpler solution worked for me.

First I checked whether network manager is working at all. Just type:
    Code:
    nmcli -f all -p nm status
    Turns out, my NetworkManager was not running. This can be fixed easily by simply typing:
    Code:
    sudo NetworkManager
    Voila! Hellooo internet!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast