Thread: External monitor, occasional blink off, then back on

Beans

External monitor, occasional blink off, then back on

With 12.04, I'm running a Sansung external monitor (digital connection via DisplayPort) from Thinkpad x220, and periodically the screen goes black for a half-second or so. This is unpredictable but happens often enough to be annoying. Any thoughts on what may be happening?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: External monitor, occasional blink off, then back on

This is also happening for me, using 12.04 on ThinkPad T510, nvidia graphics using the nouveau driver. The proprietary driver was breaking my screen font rendering, so I removed it. The blinking issue started after that.
    Home: HP DV7-1242 Laptop, ATI, 6 GB RAM, 320GB HD, AMD TurionX2 2.1ghz
    Home: HP DV6646us Laptop, nVidia, 4 GB RAM, 32GB SSD, AMD TurionX2 1.9ghz
    Work: Lenovo ThinkPad T510, nvidia, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD, Core i5
    Ubuntu User # 21,107

Beans

Re: External monitor, occasional blink off, then back on

I have a samsung 530U3B where the external display occasionally blinks on and off. I have tried updating the kernel, changing the refresh rates, and searched for the solution and/or diagnosis for many hours.

If anyone has an idea how to diagnose this problem, please let us know.

Beans

Similar issue but monitor "disconnects" at regular intervals

A while ago this happened while I was giving a presentation: external monitor "disconnected" and reconnected every 30-60 seconds, causing both the external and integrated displays to turn off, as happens when one connects a monitor or changes screen resolution.

Thinkpad T530 with Nvidia, I was using Bumblebee to enable/disable it as needed but finally disabled the Nvidia graphics card completely from BIOS. This did not fix the issue. Effect is I cannot use an external monitor nor give presentations from my computer. Very sad.