Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2nd ethx driver problems 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 2nd ethx driver problems 12.04

I am assuming that the objective is for the server to share the internet it now has with the laptop. I suggest you study this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...nectionSharing There are also numerous forum posts here about ICS: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336

We are now officially outside my area of expertise. I'm not sure I have much left to contribute.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No,the laptop is just a test. The school now has over 20 clients running wxp, a website (down due to dying hp ml350), a multi-media room, and this week we're adding 12 more clients, each with digi projectors. Oh, we host email too.
    You've been extremely helpful and PATIENT!! (caps deserved here) Thanks so much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I took some time off to get some perspective. I decided that the best approach was to re-install. So I did a fresh install of 12.04 server 64bit. I was using the wong version, I discovered. TP-Link kindly sent me a newer version of the driver. All went fine, driver went in with autorun.sh perfectly. I have the onboard as eth0 and it'son the net with ip 192.168.1.4 .
    So what I'm wondering is, whether my idea that I could accomplish anything valid by attempting to make it run on my home system with a simple LAN was even a valid approach. It seems like a lot of work to do and to take it to school and change everything. I have a key to the server cave at school. I would prefer to work at home. I recall in phsics that the application of force alone is not considered work.....
    I brought home the crimper and some rj-45's so I'll make a crossover cable. I connected through the routr with it's adsl cable disconnected aand the ping stopped at the 192.168.1.1 (router). One question: How does eth1 know it's supporting a LAN and not the WAN and vice versa for the eth0 ? Assuming I'm at school at the isp interface (fiber to eth converter), I would assign the available second staic IP we own to this machine. I would then assign the gateway we use. This would be like the entries in the readme file of the driver info I sent. to go in : /etc/network/interfaces via gedit...?
    I'd then use the same source to set eth1 for auto and dhcp...? Does it need a gateway reference?
    I wish there was a simple step by step guide for setting up a server under Ubuntu server 12.04. The install is well covered.

Beans
    Distro

One question: How does eth1 know it's supporting a LAN and not the WAN and vice versa for the eth0 ? Assuming I'm at school at the isp interface (fiber to eth converter), I would assign the available second staic IP we own to this machine. I would then assign the gateway we use. This would be like the entries in the readme file of the driver info I sent. to go in : /etc/network/interfaces via gedit...?
    I'd then use the same source to set eth1 for auto and dhcp...? Does it need a gateway reference?
    We are now well outside the area of my expertise, but the sort answer is yes, these declarations belong in /etc/network/interfaces. Network Manager, if it's installed, will likely not do what you need. I'd remove it.

Typically a server doesn't run a GUI windowing manager which Network Manager requires.

This may help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...nectionSharing

I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance. They only let me fiddle with easy stuff here.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, the nic problem never got resolved. I just couldn't find a way of getting an IP assigned to it. So it was parked. In the mean time the school changed isp's and now has PPPoe. We now plan to use an enterprise router for firewall and filtering, etc. We would like to have the Ubuntu server as a DNS cache. That means I've got the thing at home again (I'm on PPPoe also). Formatted the drives and went to 32 bit server 12.04. Ran update and upgrade. /lib/modules shows both 3.2.0-23-generic-pae and 3.2.0-31-generic-pae.
    Downloaded r8168-8.032.00 from realtek and ran autorun.sh as root. Process halts with:

make[2]: ***no rule to make target 'clean'. Stop
    make[1]: *** [clean] Error 2
    make: *** [clean} Error 2

As both -23 and -31 are shown in /lib/modules, could this be the problem?

Beans
    Distro

make[2]: ***no rule to make target 'clean'. Stop
    make[1]: *** [clean] Error 2
    make: *** [clean} Error 2
    I suspect you haven't installed linux-headers-generic and build-essential. They are...essential!

Then try the install script again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK, I had the header package, but not build-essential. I just got that and re-booted, tried ./autorun.sh and got exactly the same error message as last time.

Beans
    Distro

You do have linux-headers for your running kernel?
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -s linux-headers-`uname -r` | head -n3
    sudo dpkg -s build-essential | head -n3
    Those tickmarks are on the same key with ~.

Did you?
    Code:
    cd r8168-8.032.00
    sudo su
    ./autorun.sh
    exit
    It works perfectly for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes I had done apt-get install linux-headers 3.2.0-23-generic-pae and same for ...-31.. the former installed ok and the later said it was latest already. Unfortunately, the same error message appears when I run ./autorun.sh

Interestingly I tried:
    "
    # Internal LAN interfaceauto eth1iface eth1 inet static address 10.10.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0Then on the laptop go into Network and in the properties of your wired connection set:
    IP 10.10.0.100
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 10.10.0.1
    DNS 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS for example)

Then open command prompt on the laptop and try:
    ping 10.10.0.1

That should return the ping from your server. If all of that works out, you're good to go.

At that moment the laptop will still not have full internet access.

On the server open /etc/sysctl.conf to edit with:
    sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf

Uncomment (remove the # from the start of) the line saying net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

Save the changes with Ctrl + O and exit nano with Ctrl + X."

This got the laptop and server to ping each other and IP shows in net tools of server.

Then:

"Then on the server do:
    sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

Now test if your laptop has internet access through the server. It should."
    Unfortuneately this part didn't work . I am using the IP of the adsl router as the DNS, as that's what comes back on this tower, which is connected to the same router.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

BTW when I installed 12.04 I initially selected no additional packages. I have since installed dnsmasq and commented out dnsmasq from network manager, as a step towards using dnsmasq as a DNS cache

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast