View Poll Results: How often do you make backup?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

17 25.76%
  • Once or a few times a year

10 15.15%
  • Once or a few times a month

11 16.67%
  • Once or a few times a week

9 13.64%
  • About once a day

13 19.70%
  • Multiple times every day

6 9.09%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll: How often do you make backup?

Beans

Re: Poll: How often do you make backup?

Thank you for reminding me. I just started a backup and my last one was 43 days ago.

I use Deja Dup, which is a front-end to Duplicity, which is a front-end to rsync and other standard Linux utilities. I exclude Trash and Downloads and, before I run it, I empty the web browser's cache.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I run a scheduled rsync backup from cron onto an external drive each night. I back up the usual suspects -- /home, /etc, /var/spool, /var/log. I also make nightly text-based database snapshots with pg_dump and back those up as well.

On my virtual machine at Linode I pay the extra few bucks for a nightly snapshot backup. So far I've never needed to use it.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; June 11th, 2012 at 01:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Not as often as I should!

I have a home-made bash script that archives my home directory files (plus a few others) and burns them to DVD. That should happen daily or at least every few days, but often I'll go a fortnight or more without doing it.

On the other hand, if I'm doing a major editing job, I'll back up the file(s) to USB or another drive several times a day - or even hourly or less if I'm making major changes.

Every so often, I'll make an archive of my system minus home directory. It's got me out of a number of awkward situations, so, yes, I know that it works.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans

all my important files are in my Dropbox, so they end up on every machine I own.

on my file server I copy the Dropbox folder using rsync (without the delete flag) to a different hard drive every hour, just encase my Dropbox account ever gets erased for any reason.

The folder that Dropbox is copied to gets rsynced every night to a VPS I rent, this shouldnt be needed, as the only way I would need this would be if my dropbox account got deleted from all my machines and the extra disk on my file serve fails. But I can be a bit paranoid.

All my home folders are copied to my file server using Deja-Dup daily

I have been burned before
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans

Due to certain drive size limitations, I have a pretty selective setup, but it works well for me.

Server - 160GB OS Drive, 2x500GB RAID 1 mirror

Desktop - 60GB OS SSD, 2x1TB RAID 1 mirror

I have a custom startup application which rsyncs my Pictures and Documents to my server. Essentially, each time I log in, those two folders synchronize. I didn't bother doing the rest since my desktop has 1TB drives and my server 500GB drives. I figured since the rest of the data isn't as important as my Docs or Pics, it's at LEAST on an array, even though an array isn't a "real" backup... it's at least a 2nd location.

Laptop - Synchronizes once a day via Deja Dup to server.

Fiance's laptop - Synchronizes once a day via Deja Dup to server.

At my parents house, I set up a spare tower I had with a 250GB drive. I set the BIOS to turn on when power is restored and hooked it up to a surge strip with a timed outlet that activates at 6:50 PM and shuts off at midnight. Server kicks on daily at 6:50 PM, and everybody's system backs up to it over Samba at 7:00 PM. Then at 8:00 PM, I have cron shut the system off. I let the timer run until midnight on the box so I can SSH in and lift the cron shutoff and work on it remotely if I need to. Plus, by it shutting off via cron, it's at least not a "force unplug" type of shutdown like it would be if I let the server run and the electrical outlet do its own powering off.

So whether at my house, or my parents house, my system or my better half's system, everything is backed up at least once a day.

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Separate data partition...rarely back up....

-Red
    Everything in the future is a wave, everything in the past is a particle. -Lawrence Bragg

Parabola: https://parabolagnulinux.org/
    Completely freed... Libre GNU/Linux !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    Not as often as I should!
    This. I rarely do, though don't have much on my computer that is important or I can't do without.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade20XX View Post
    Separate data partition...rarely back up....
    Just because it's a separate partition doesn't mean it's immune to failure.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah, my data lives on a completely seperate 1TB HDD, but even that will fail one day.

Beans

I have all of my data and my home folder on one HDD, and I back it up whenever I make some important changes or weekly, whichever comes first. I use
    Code:
    rsync --delete --progress -vrav /Primary_DATA/ /BACKUP/
    to back up my data to two identical HDDs, one of which is external.
    AMD Athlon II x4 640 - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 - 12GB RAM - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB w/21.5" Monitor - Assorted HDDs - Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120Gb SSD - [ArchLinux - Windows 7 - Mac OS X 10.6.8]
    If all else fails, read the instructions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast