Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 freezing completely!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 12.04 freezing completely!

I am currently using Ubuntu 12.04 and for the second time in a week, Ubuntu freezes completely, becoming entirely unresponsive. The only way to use it again is to turn off the power to reboot.

Both times the same thing happened. All of the sudden, the wireless connection to the Internet is lost, ubuntu keeps trying to connect and asks for password and some seconds later then it freezes.

I don't understand why the wireless connection fails, since it works fine after I reboot PC and I am close enough to router, I never had wireless problem on Windows 7 for example. I also do not understand why this loss of connection implies ubuntu freeze.

This is a serious issue because I have no chance of saving work. This time I couldn't save some edits I was doing on a document...

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 freezing completely!

Is the 12.04 fully updated and upgraded?

If so: was an earlier version of Ubuntu working stable? If so, why not use that version?

Beans
    Distro

Yes it is fully updated...

I installed 12.04 from scratch, it is not upgraded from a previous version. Besides, since this is a LTS release, I would like to keep it, but first I need to solve this trouble.

The problem is I don't know how to recreate this situation in order to provide some more information. It just happens without warning and all of the sudden.

Beans
    Distro

It might be a video or hardware related issue. What hardware are you running it on? Is it a desktop with a dedicated graphics card (eg. Nvidia) that supports 3D, or does it use shared onboard graphics as in many laptops or netbooks? My netbook, for example, used to freeze if I used the default Unity, but it's okay under Unity 2D. You can log out and select the Unity 2D session at the login screen. Try the 2D version and see if it helps. Alternatively, try one of the plainer Gnome session alternatives (without any special graphic effects).

Beans
    Distro

I run Ubuntu 12.04 on a Toshiba Laptop, Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz 2100 MHz, 4GB RAM, , Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller. It supports Unity 3D, as I already checked with

/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p

Unity 3D supported: yes

The wireless device is this:
    Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
    Realtek WLAN controller

Yes the graphics controller is onboard, although it supports Unity 3D. I'll try the Unity 2D as you say, or even another desktop environment, but anyway, any ideas on why this only happens following a strange, unexpected loss of wireless connection and not in any other circumstances?
    Last edited by oslub; June 10th, 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Since I have 3D support on my graphics controller, should I file a bug report to launchpad?

Beans
    Distro

You could, but perhaps the 3D graphics isn't the culprit, it is just one possibility. Does the total freezing stop when you use Unity 2D?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by little_penguin View Post
    You could, but perhaps the 3D graphics isn't the culprit, it is just one possibility. Does the total freezing stop when you use Unity 2D?
    I have switched to Unity 2D, I can't tell right now if it stops the problem because the freeze happened twice last week, so it can take 2 or 3 days to happen again I guess.

I will now wait a few days using unity 2D and see if something happens.

Beans
    Distro

I've tried to replicate this occurence by turning off my wireless router, but no freeze has happened. So far I was unable to recriate this situation, which is making it more difficult to predict when it will happen, what causes it and how to solve... Anyone already experienced something similar before, so I can have an idea of where the conflict may be coming from?

Beans

Hi there,

My Ubuntu 12.04 64bit freezes too.

The system I'm using is:
    Intel Core-i5 3750K
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    no additional graphic or sound

I have not yet found out what is causing the freeze. Sometimes I go a day without one, today it froze like every f***ing hour.
    I'm not doing anything special - today mainly surfing the web.

Installation from scratch.
    All updates installed.

I'm going to check for Bios updates now....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast