Thread: Jetway 1,5HGz

Beans

Jetway 1,5HGz

About 4-5 years ago I assembled a Jetway 1.5GHz desktop specifically for someone to use Skype. I am posting in this section to see if anyone else is using Ubuntu on this type of hardware ?

However since about version 9 (is that when Pulseaudio appeared ?) it has been unusable.

Pulseaudio is grabbing over 30% of the cpu which cannot be right and no amount of fixing has made any difference.

I am not alone, there seems to be thousands of people with Pulse problems but equally there must be many who have no problems.

I would really like to get to the bottom of this before I despair and buy an old WIndos box.

Beans

Re: Jetway 1,5HGz

What kind of processor, VIA? Desktop environment? These are not efficient for running a heavy desktop environment. Try LXDE or other lightweight DE.

Beans

Sorry I've not got access to the machine to get detailed specs. I think it is a Via process but I should check.

It has always run a straight install of Ubuntu which I guess means gnome.

The issue doesn't seem to be the desktop demands but more that pulseaudio is grabbing a third of the CPU.

Beans

Pulse has been used since Ubuntu 8.04. Lubuntu doesn't use it though, so try installing that.