Thread: Internet Security with Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Question Internet Security with Ubuntu 12.04

Hi, Ubuntu community.

Recently, I stumbled upon Tails. Since privacy is a big concern in my country, I'd like to have the security that Tails provides, but at the same time enjoy Ubuntu 12.04. So assuming that one gets a new laptop and installs 12.04 on it, what does one have to do to secure himself to the same or almost the same level as Tails would?

Also, how does one make instant messaging secure?

And furthermore, I still want to use Firefox instead of the Tor browser. So what add-ons should I install to have the same security as Tor users?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Heretika; June 10th, 2012 at 02:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Internet Security with Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by Heretika View Post
    Hi, Ubuntu community.

Recently, I stumbled upon Tails. Since privacy is a big concern in my country, I'd like to have the security that Tails provides, but at the same time enjoy Ubuntu 12.04. So assuming that one gets a new laptop and installs 12.04 on it, what does one have to do to secure himself to the same or almost the same level as Tails would?

Also, how does one make instant messaging secure?

And furthermore, I still want to use Firefox instead of the Tor browser. So what add-ons should I install to have the same security as Tor users?

Thanks in advance.
    Ubuntu Basic security guide can help you get started ,

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

For instant messaging using tor see the below link .

https://trac.torproject.org/projects...stantMessaging

However no tools or protocols can promise you complete anonymity over the public tunnel of Internet .They are here only to add more steel to your bullet proof jacket .
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans
    Hidden!

I would install Noscript, WOT, Biscuit (Preserve the cookies you do not want to delete) and Better Privacy to control flash cookies.
    Noscript is a bit of a pain to initially setup, there is a Youtube video you can watch. But, It will give you total control over which sites can execute scripts in Firefox.
    WOT is fairly good at telling you which sites are good and bad with green circles by good sites and red circles by bad sites.
    It is just normal people rating the sites so, it is not perfect.

Those are 4 good addons for Firefox security.
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

Beans

Thank you for the replies.

I have a question, though. In the Basic Security page in the Ubuntu Wiki, it's said that one shouldn't use hardware acceleration in Firefox for extra security. Why?

Beans
    Hidden!

I have a question, though. In the Basic Security page in the Ubuntu Wiki, it's said that one shouldn't use hardware acceleration in Firefox for extra security. Why?
    Not sure. I haven't seen it but, I apparently am not using it and I don't need it as Firefox 13 is ultra fast.
    I think it gets bogged down if you add too many addons. I only have the ones mentioned above and my FF is smoking.

Beans

The implementation (based on OpenGL) is not very stable and causes many problems on Linux systems. Only the proprietary NVIDIA driver has not been blacklisted and should support hardware acceleration in Firefox.
    Type "about:support" in the address bar, scroll down to the "Graphics" section and check the value of "GPU Accelerated Windows" (0 means disabled).
    GNU/Linux

Beans
    Hidden!

I didn't even know Firefox had hardware acceleration. Mine is not turned on and I have the latest nVidia (version-current-updates) version 295.49.
    I have Cairo Dock open GL, Compiz maxed out with Emerald windows manager and nary a problem.
    I can't imagine the usefulness of Firefox hardware acceleration.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

“Hardware acceleration” is basically using the GPU when it’s possible (instead of the CPU). This makes page-drawing operations faster. I dont know if there are any security issues involved in it .I think other members can comment better .
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein