Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB KEY LIVE INSTALL questions.

Beans

Question USB KEY LIVE INSTALL questions.

I plan on installing ubuntu 12.04 on a usb key for the sake of having an operating system at my finger tips but I was wondering if I could install programs on the live usb key of ubuntu like Skype and a torrent program and various Google programs if supported if so is there anything I need to do or any advice for a better path to take? It'll be on a 32gig usb key so space isn't a huge issue. If I don't respond here please private message me so I get an email to check back here thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: USB KEY LIVE INSTALL questions.

Hello faze1337 ,

Welcome to the UbuntuForums !!

You can go for two options .

1. Make a live Ubuntu usb with persistence .That would remember all your data , configurations and installed packages on next boot .

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

2.Go for a normal dedicated installation as you have a good amount of space on your flash drive .
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans

What would be the more stable/long term option? Depending on difficulty I haven't touched ubuntu in years I just have alot of free time now

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would go for option 2 .
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

With 32 gigs I would do a full install.

The ISO load with a persistent is really designed for short use, it has its own set of problems not associated with a full install.

Updates are one, you don't want any kernel updates, the ISO is still being used as a read only.

The persistent file can fill up, and can't be cleaned really.

A full install will run like a install on a internal drive, although a little slower. Although I had one this way for awhile it was as fast as the internal on a netbook basically. I suspect it depends on the quality of the usb stick.

Beans

How would I go about that plug the key in and reboot choosing the key as the partition? (its been years since I've done this stuff sorry)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by faze1337 View Post
    How would I go about that plug the key in and reboot choosing the key as the partition? (its been years since I've done this stuff sorry)
    Boot a live cd plug the stick in, and use a custom install, format it there to a ext 4 set the mount as / and install. Make sure in the custom that grub is pointed at the mbr of the stick.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It would be a normal ubuntu installation , but make sure that you choose the correct device (your 32 gb flash) and not messing up your internal hdd .

From the live cd environment you can launch gparted and create the necessary partitions as suggested by wilee-nilee above , before going ahead with the installation .

The rest of the journey would be a normal Ubuntu install .

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/instal...386/index.html
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans
    Hidden!

If you want a long term solution, a full install is the best, as explained by previous posts.

1. If you want full portability, you should avoid proprietary drivers (for example the drivers for graphics and wifi).

2. A draw-back is that updating is much slower than on an internal hard drive. I think it is because a large number of small files are written, and this is very inefficient on USB pendrives compared to internal drives. So I have an internal drive, that I use at home, and that I can easily clone to and from the pendrive. And I do big updating jobs on the internal drive (it is much faster also taking into account the cloning). This also works as a backup system.

3. In order to avoid corrupting the file system, you should have a USB pen-drive with a light emitting diode. Then you can see when it is working and you can avoid pulling it out or switching off the computer too early.

I have such a system (Lubuntu with xubuntu-desktop added) and it works fine. Often the read/write speed is slower than the limits of USB 2.0, so choose a pendrive with high speed. I use a USB 3 pendrive booted from a USB 2.0 port.

Beans

It's a "key shaped" usb 2.0 key from Hong Kong ebay lol but transfer speed is 20-30mbps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast