Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (12.04) hangs after waking from suspend

Beans

(12.04) hangs after waking from suspend

Hi -

I recently moved to 12.04, and have found some undesirable behavior when waking from a suspend.

First, the system won't wake from the keyboard or mouse; I have to push the power button. (Annoying but livable if need be.)

Then, shortly after awakening, my system hangs. I have to press and hold the power button to turn it off (not good at all).

So, two questions:

1. is there a better way to try to "un-hang?"
    2. is anyone else experiencing anything like this? I searched the forum but didn't find this exact problem.

Thanks.

Beans

Re: (12.04) hangs after waking from suspend

What make and model of computer?

Did you run a previous version of Ubuntu on it successfully without suspend/resume problems?

These issues vary greatly depending on the exact hardware you are using. Open up a terminal and type

lspci

and post the results here.

Beans

Here it is:

Code:
    mzimmers@mzimmers-desktop:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b5)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev b5)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z68 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
    03:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller
    mzimmers@mzimmers-desktop:~$
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Use the magic key combination to shutdown or reboot safely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

When you say it hangs, is X freezing or is it a kernel panic. If you can reboot using the above method then it's not a kernel panic.

Post the output of

Code:
    cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
    and

Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    Is the keyboard and mouse USB ? Have you checked the BIOS to see if there are any wakeup settings in it ?

Open a terminal and type

Code:
    echo "" | sudo tee /var/log/pm-suspend.log
    Suspend and try to awaken the machine. Use the magic key combination if you can to reboot the machine and post the log back here.

Code:
    cat /var/log/pm-suspend.log
    Maybe the log will have some information in it.

As asked above, please detail the make and model of your computer and the hardware in it.

Code:
    lspci -nnk
    Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; June 10th, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Thank you, Matt.

Code:
    mzimmers@mzimmers-desktop:~$ cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
    Device	S-state	  Status   Sysfs node
    CIR	  S3	*enabled   pnp:00:03
    BR20	  S4	*disabled  
    EUSB	  S4	*enabled   pci:0000:00:1d.0
    USBE	  S4	*enabled   pci:0000:00:1a.0
    PEX0	  S4	*disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.0
    PEX1	  S4	*disabled  
    PEX2	  S4	*disabled  
    PEX3	  S4	*disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.3
    PEX4	  S4	*disabled  
    PEX5	  S4	*disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.5
    PEX6	  S4	*disabled  
    PEX7	  S4	*disabled  
    P0P1	  S4	*disabled  
    P0P2	  S4	*disabled  
    P0P3	  S4	*disabled  
    P0P4	  S4	*disabled  
    Code:
    mzimmers@mzimmers-desktop:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
    BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-24-generic root=UUID=2b3a266c-5751-4de4-81c7-72eeb3a9cc15 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    The keyboard is a Logitech K350. It doesn't have a key labelled anything like "SysReq" and a cursory google search didn't reveal anything definitive, though it appears that "Print Screen" is a substitute in earlier versions of this keyboard. (Kbd and mouse are USB wireless).

I couldn't get from the Wiki page what exactly is the key combination/sequence for the unfreeze, either. Is it holding Alt and PrintScreen while entering REISUB?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

I couldn't get from the Wiki page what exactly is the key combination/sequence for the unfreeze, either. Is it holding Alt and PrintScreen while entering REISUB?
    Yes the combination is...

Press and hold (right) ALT + SYSREQ (Print screen may work) and the hit the keys R E I S U B leaving a 5 second gap between each key press.

This should reboot the PC. Change the last letter to an O instead of R to turn the PC Off.

Practice it now while the PC is not stuck. It's a very useful key combination to know.

Kind regards

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

The key sequence seemed to work, in the sense that the system did reboot. Shortly after boot, however, I got a window proclaiming "System Error" and an invitation to report it. When I tried to report it, I got a message:

TypeError(Error('Incorrect Padding',),)
    Do you still want me to do any of that other stuff you cited in a post above?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Is your keyboard and mouse USB ?

According to /proc/acpi/wakeup your USB is set to wakeup for state S4.

So let's look at sysfs instead. Can you post the output of

Code:
    cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb?/power/wakeup
    How are you getting on with the magic key combination. You do need to find out how to use that on your PC. It's very useful.

Kind regards

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by mzimmers View Post
    The key sequence seemed to work, in the sense that the system did reboot. Shortly after boot, however, I got a window proclaiming "System Error" and an invitation to report it. When I tried to report it, I got a message:

Do you still want me to do any of that other stuff you cited in a post above?

Thanks.
    That sounds like a different issue; Apport reporting an error after reboot. Hopefully not related to rebooting the PC.

Yes. Please post the other stuff.

Kind regards

Beans

Sorry if I wasn't clear; the magic key combination appears to work. I manually suspended, and successfully rebooted using magic keys (though it did produce the aforementioned problem that you said was probably unrelated).

Here's the output of that latest command:

Code:
    mzimmers@mzimmers-desktop:~$ cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb?/power/wakeup
    disabled
    disabled
    disabled
    disabled

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast