Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best distro for beginners

Beans

Re: Best distro for beginners

Well, yes, Ubuntu! (even if I started with Fedora, still very good choice)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm going to argue for Ubuntu/Mint.

The primary reason is the availability of information for new users provided largely by people like us, the community.

Beans

Besides Ubuntu and Mint, there's openSUSE. I suggest using the KDE version, since that's where it shines. Here's some reasons:

-Traditional desktop. Similar to Windows yet very configurable.
    -YAST control panel = GUI configuration of everything under the sun.
    -Very stable, just keep it up-to-date.
    -Zypper - very powerful package management.
    -You can keep KDE the way it is--beautiful and flashy, or you can turn off the effects and have a very snappy desktop. Even with effects though, it's very fast.
    -KDE always uses less resources on my systems than Unity.
    -Very polished KDE apps
    -Easy distribution upgrades and repository management, through YAST or zypper.

Edit: I think it's kind of funny when people post threads like this. You're going to invariably get loads of different suggestions. Best way to decide is to try yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Ubuntu has the largest and most dedicated following, you can always find great video turtorials on YouTube and that really is a great resource for new users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by nll View Post
    Go for the default Ubuntu+Unity. Cinnamon is too buggy. If one wants a classic environment in Ubuntu, she just needs to sudo apt-get install gnome-panel.
    I agree Cinnamon is buggy.

Faster, more basic distros such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu are very easy for Windows users, as the desktop and menu set up is very similar to Windows XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade20XX View Post
    Even though ubuntu is pretty good, I would recommend:
    http://luninuxos.com/
    Wow, that is a very sexy website! The screenshots look very similar to a Mac, rather than a Windows PC, so I guess it would be great for Mac users.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtonford View Post
    Iam using mint 13 cinnamon and its not buggy thats rubbish. Its one of the best distros out there everything is ready to go after the install. Give it a try dont listen to the nay sayers.
    Haha, that's funny. Cinnamon is an amazing idea, but when it come to drivers it's buggy as hell. I would NOT recommend it
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I used to recommend Ubuntu to new users because it worked seamlessly with any hardware, unfortunately that's not true anymore because Unity won't behave well with many graphic cards, and also it departs from the Windows way of doing things.

Kubuntu (with KDE), Xubuntu (with XFCE) and Lubuntu (with LXDE) retain the hardware compatibility that made Ubuntu great but have desktop environments that are more permissive with the hardware than Unity, and will fell more familiar to a Windows user.

In a "features + eye candy + resource usage" scale Kubuntu would be first (although it can be configured to be less resource hungry), then Xubuntu, then Lubuntu.

If the computer can handle it I'd go for KDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I would recommend Ubuntu/Mint with something like Cinnamon or Mate.

Ubuntu/Mint since they work great and have amazing hardware support. As for Cinnamon or Mate, they look similar to Windows so the learning curve is a lot easier for someone of a Windows background.

I see a lot of suggestions for KDE but with my own experience I wouldn't suggest it. Its very different by default and doesn't run as expected when your background is Windows so this will just cause a lot of frustration and grief for the user and will lead them to believe that "Linux = horrible mess that doesn't do anything I want". Its not that KDE is bad, its just very different from Windows and will leave the user having to spend more time learning to do simple things then doing simple things like they are used to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Xatolos View Post
    [KDE is] very different by default and doesn't run as expected when your background is Windows
    One thing that might be confusing is the default one-click behavior, that's true, (I got used to single-click so fast I had forgotten about it!)

But as almost everything in KDE changing than behavior is possible:
    System Settings -> Input Devices -> Mouse

But other than that? (I'm not payed by KDE, just curious)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast