Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Disabling privacy-invasive Zeitgeist, Geoclue, Whoopsie (and NTPD)

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Beans
    1
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Disabling privacy-invasive Zeitgeist, Geoclue, Whoopsie (and NTPD)

    I have just done a clean install of 13.10 on the 6th November and there are no privacy settings available. Is this just a bug or have they been removed?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mystletainn Kick!
    Beans
    9,119
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Disabling privacy-invasive Zeitgeist, Geoclue, Whoopsie (and NTPD)

    Quote Originally Posted by jrkhnt View Post
    I have just done a clean install of 13.10 on the 6th November and there are no privacy settings available. Is this just a bug or have they been removed?
    Where are you looking?
    The settings are in system settings > privacy(or security and privacy)
    The privacy settings are only in Unity.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful
    .

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Beans
    17

    Re: Disabling privacy-invasive Zeitgeist, Geoclue, Whoopsie (and NTPD)

    Hi, I've been happily running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Windows 8.1 Dual boot for about 5 months now. I just started to notice this Zeitgeist logging software recently on my 12.04 load. I recall seeing this on another distro before and thought the name seemed strange. Anyway, I haven't followed this guide to try and strip it out yet because it sounds like somewhat of a pain.

    I went into Software Center and click uninstall but it's still running>
    Code:
    bond@asus:/var/log$ ps aux|grep zeit
    bond     2239  0.0  0.1 417768  5968 ?        Sl   Apr20   0:00 zeitgeist-datahub
    bond     2247  0.0  0.1 348376  4960 ?        Sl   Apr20   0:00 /usr/bin/zeitgeist-daemon
    bond     2254  0.0  0.2 245728  9184 ?        Sl   Apr20   0:00 /usr/lib/zeitgeist/zeitgeist-fts
    bond     4366  0.0  0.0  13596   940 pts/1    S+   21:28   0:00 grep --color=auto zeit
    It's disconcerting to see these processes still running after uninstalling it. Doing a quick locate zeitgeist in terminal also shows active .db logging files. I was going to try to install sqlite to view the .db files it's logging in this folder>

    ~/.local/share/zeitgeist/fts.index


    I suppose I could reinstall it and install the Activities and Privacy Manager Tool to see what events it's logging and try and disable them like that. Seems a little nefarious if you ask me. My SUSE load isn't running any Zeitgeist logging.

    Thanks for any other input on a clean removal that might allow Unity to still function.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Disabling privacy-invasive Zeitgeist, Geoclue, Whoopsie (and NTPD)

    Nothing nefarious about zeitgeist.
    It's just a data logger to enhance the unity experience.
    Doesn't phone home.
    Use the privacy manger to limit what it logs.

    If you want to remove go back to the first post in this thread for the command to remove zeitgeist components.
    Quote Originally Posted by besouro View Post
    Removing Zeitgeist will cause Unity to malfunction. As I've never been a fan of Unity I didn't care
    Have a read...
    is-zeitgeist-spying-on-you
    Last edited by grumblebum2; April 22nd, 2014 at 05:43 AM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Beans
    17

    Re: Disabling privacy-invasive Zeitgeist, Geoclue, Whoopsie (and NTPD)

    Quote Originally Posted by grumblebum2 View Post
    Nothing nefarious about zeitgeist.
    It's just a data logger to enhance the unity experience.
    Doesn't phone home.
    Use the privacy manger to limit what it logs.

    If you want to remove go back to the first post in this thread for the command to remove zeitgeist components.


    Have a read...
    is-zeitgeist-spying-on-you
    Thanks for this info. I'll review this website. I find it kind of ummm, funny, that they name this program after a conspiracy based documentary they have on the internet and expect you to trust it.

    I'll go ahead and reinstall it and then install the Activities and Privacy Manager Tool to see if I can get a better understanding of what it's doing. After that I'll attempt to remove this from my system. If it hoses up Unity I'll probably just remove Ubuntu and go to another load that doesn't have this crap.

    I also find it kind of funny that I removed it yet the daemon remained on my system actively logging information.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Left Coast of the USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Disabling privacy-invasive Zeitgeist, Geoclue, Whoopsie (and NTPD)

    I suspect Zeitgeist is named from the same German word as the movie, not the movie itself.

    Zeitgeist is the popular cultural spirit of the time, so it's not such a bad name for something that helps you keep track of what you've been doing. Notice I say "you". It doesn't phone home and gossip to everyone about what you have been doing.

    "Zeitgeist" implies nothing necessarily evil to those of us who speak German.
    Last edited by QIII; April 22nd, 2014 at 07:14 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Disabling privacy-invasive Zeitgeist, Geoclue, Whoopsie (and NTPD)

    Quote Originally Posted by vw16v View Post
    Thanks for this info. I'll review this website. I find it kind of ummm, funny, that they name this program after a conspiracy based documentary they have on the internet and expect you to trust it.

    I'll go ahead and reinstall it and then install the Activities and Privacy Manager Tool to see if I can get a better understanding of what it's doing. After that I'll attempt to remove this from my system. If it hoses up Unity I'll probably just remove Ubuntu and go to another load that doesn't have this crap.

    I also find it kind of funny that I removed it yet the daemon remained on my system actively logging information.
    The word Zeitgeist was around long before some obscure film
    used it as the title.
    Yeah I'm thinking of going to another distro too where there isn't so much paranoia and misinformed crap.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Beans
    17

    Re: Disabling privacy-invasive Zeitgeist, Geoclue, Whoopsie (and NTPD)

    Thanks for the replies on the term Zeitgeist. I was pretty sure it had somethign to do with a cultural movement or something else aside from the conspiracy films on the net. Either way, it's a strange name for a logging process and the name is suspect in itself if you ask me.

    I'm sticking with my original assumption that this software is undesireable and nefarious.

    Does anyone know of any linux software that shows network connections to applications and prompts you when they are attempting to be made? My windows AV always prompts me whenver applications attempt to make connections so I can determine if I'll allow the connection or not?

    I've always trusted Linux freeware for some strange reason thinking that malware /rootkits,etc and not very prevelant in Linux but I'm somewhat doubtful it's as secure as everyone thinks.

    However, when you get something for free you have to ask youself... Is this really free?

    Which leads me to this blogpost>
    When something online is free, you’re not the customer, you’re the product.

    All your ONES AND ZEROS BELONG TO US. LOL

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Beans
    171

    Re: Disabling privacy-invasive Zeitgeist, Geoclue, Whoopsie (and NTPD)

    here are some links:

    http://linuxaria.com/howto/how-to-re...nd-why?lang=en
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2062843
    http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/07/1...ed-up-unity-2/
    http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com...zeitgeist.html
    http://iloveubuntu.net/activity-log-...y-released-ppa

    I use xubuntu & I took it out, but I had to leave a library in to allow gedit to work.
    I have heard that in unity on 12.04 that if you took it out, things like the clock app would not work.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Disabling privacy-invasive Zeitgeist, Geoclue, Whoopsie (and NTPD)

    Quote Originally Posted by vw16v View Post
    Thanks for the replies on the term Zeitgeist. I was pretty sure it had somethign to do with a cultural movement or something else aside from the conspiracy films on the net. Either way, it's a strange name for a logging process and the name is suspect in itself if you ask me.

    I'm sticking with my original assumption that this software is undesireable and nefarious.

    Does anyone know of any linux software that shows network connections to applications and prompts you when they are attempting to be made? My windows AV always prompts me whenver applications attempt to make connections so I can determine if I'll allow the connection or not?

    I've always trusted Linux freeware for some strange reason thinking that malware /rootkits,etc and not very prevelant in Linux but I'm somewhat doubtful it's as secure as everyone thinks.

    However, when you get something for free you have to ask youself... Is this really free?

    Which leads me to this blogpost>
    When something online is free, you’re not the customer, you’re the product.

    All your ONES AND ZEROS BELONG TO US. LOL
    freeware is a term usually used to describe closed-source applications.
    You should really acquire the skills and knowledge to write about such matters or leave it to those that do.
    Just a bundle of irrelevant disconnected tripe.

    I'm sticking with my original assumption that you're undesireable and nefarious.
    Last edited by grumblebum2; April 23rd, 2014 at 11:25 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •