Thread: Ubuntu Server 12.04 Mail Question

Beans

Ubuntu Server 12.04 Mail Question

Hello,

I've got a file server setup at home here and it's running smoothly however I've got some different things going on and I'd like to be able to have the system email me different things. For instance I just setup clamscan to run on a schedule. I set the report up to send to my email address however I doubt it will get through due to my ip address being blocked by the other server. Is their any simple way to configure an smtp connection for the outgoing mail. I'd also like to see if this can function from the web server as well, so that the local sites can send mail as well (mostly everything I run on the web side is PHP based)

Thanks

Rob

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Server 12.04 Mail Question

Ok I'm in the right direction. Not sure I'm running into an issue but it's getting somewhere.

Here is what I've done:

Installed Postfix:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install postfix
    Modify .forward

Code:
    sudo nano ~/.forward
    Just add the address you'd like to forward TO in the file and save (F3 to save F2 to exit)

Now the mail being sent to root is being forwarded but it's being stopped somewhere along the line... I suspect due to domain name or host name and the reverse dns lookup. Not my department so I'll read up a bit more and see if I can figure out how that works.

here is the error I have as of now from postfix.

Code:
    Jun  8 21:50:28 box postfix/error[11461]: 0B1CDE7: to=<myemail@domain.com>, orig_to=<superadmin@box.domain.net>, relay=none, delay=0.07, delays=0.03/0/0/0.03, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced

Jun  8 21:50:28 wce1 postfix/qmgr[5389]: 0B1CDE7: removed

Again I assume this has something to do with my ip and the smtp host blocking the connection. Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Server 12.04 Mail Question

Got it working... Thanks to a port on this website

http://www.nooblet.org/blog/2007/pos...-mail-traffic/

It appears most ISPs block the dynamic range ip all together and haveing a domain name with a reverse lookup has nothing to do with it.

So postfix has a work around.

Credit for below goes to the above websites:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/postfix/transport
    Insert the following: be sure to change smtp.yourisp.com to your isp's actual smtp settings... For comcast I used smtp.comcast.net and its working.

Code:
    gmail.com smtp:smtp.yourisp.com:25
    googlemail.com smtp:smtp.yourisp.com:25
    Save and close F3 and F2 and Now run

Code:
    sudo postmap /etc/postfix/transport
    Open /etc/postfix/main.cf

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/postfix/main.cf
    Start a new line at the bottom and enter

Code:
    transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport