Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: GNObuntu ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: GNObuntu ?

Quote Originally Posted by julo42 View Post
    I have just removed ubuntu-artwork and Ambiance is still the default GTK theme. To check this, I have launched dconf-editor, clicked on org.gnome.desktop.interface.gtk-theme, then "set to default". While "Adwaita" is correctly displayed, Ambiance is actually set (this is a known bug where dconf-editor displays the stock default but actually applies the overridden default: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/884943).
    So override it for now by manually setting it to 'Adwaita' and save it as default using the root/live UID.

Are you working with chroot env?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have just removed ubuntu-artwork and Ambiance is still the default GTK theme. To check this, I have launched dconf-editor, clicked on org.gnome.desktop.interface.gtk-theme, then "set to default". While "Adwaita" is correctly displayed, Ambiance is actually set (this is a known bug where dconf-editor displays the stock default but actually applies the overridden default: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/884943).
    I tested removing ubuntu-artwork now and it worked after logging out and logging back in.

Try
    Code:
    gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences theme

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher2 View Post
    So override it for now by manually setting it to 'Adwaita' and save it as default using the root/live UID.

Are you working with chroot env?
    You're misunderstanding me: I'm not looking for a solution for me, I'm just asking for the settings to be correctly set back to the stock defaults on future GNOMEbuntu installs, but I guess Jeremy and his team are working on it anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You're misunderstanding me: I'm not looking for a solution for me, I'm just asking for the settings to be correctly set back to the stock defaults on future GNOMEbuntu installs, but I guess Jeremy and his team are working on it anyway.
    I did understand you. I proposed that until the dconf bugs get sorted out I suppose.

Logically, does dconf revert back to 'stock' when removing the packages that reconfigure those keys?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    I tested removing ubuntu-artwork now and it worked after logging out and logging back in.

Try
    Code:
    gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences theme
    OK, I didn't know I needed to log out / log in. Now it works perfectly. Sorry

Beans

I did understand you. I proposed that until the dconf bugs get sorted out I suppose.

Logically, does dconf revert back to 'stock' when removing the packages that reconfigure those keys?
    Actually, removing ubuntu-artwork (which is not a dependancy of ubuntu-gnome-desktop) does revert all the theme-related dconf keys to the stock default. So everything is fine!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually, removing ubuntu-artwork (which is not a dependancy of ubuntu-gnome-desktop) does revert all the theme-related dconf keys to the stock default. So everything is fine!
    Perfect

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Has anyone given any thought, given the 'vanilla' flavor this distro variant will be having to give it a more unified look when transitioning from grub, to plymouth, to gdm to desktop?

what I mean is that given the guidelines, we can have the same exact background (Ubuntu logo on aubergine solid backdrop [HEX #2C001E]) for all three stages, using the logo provided in the Plymouth sub-directory, thus unifying the whole lot of transitions...

Beans

Has anyone given any thought, given the 'vanilla' flavor this distro variant will be having to give it a more unified look when transitioning from grub, to plymouth, to gdm to desktop?

what I mean is that given the guidelines, we can have the same exact background (Ubuntu logo on aubergine solid backdrop [HEX #2C001E]) for all three stages, using the logo provided in the Plymouth sub-directory, thus unifying the whole lot of transitions...
    From my tests, on ubuntu-gnome-desktop, we have the same desktop background in GDM and gnome-shell. Not sure about GRUB and plymouth though...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That I am aware of, since they are by default served by a specified background file on the system (can't remember under which directory though).

Starting from an ubuntu base, plymouth should already be set, it's then just a matter of changing gdm, shell and grub.

you can modify gdm by enabling the "xhost +" parameter and then launching dconf editor as "gdm" user.

would you mind trying to see? I assure you, the result is quite appealing.

Here is a sample of the config i use on fedora which can give you an idea as to where to look and what to change...grub shouldnt be too bad to change (just the color):

Code:
    # User #
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-options "centered"
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file:///usr/share/plymouth/themes/charge/throbber-15.png"
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background primary-color "#202020"
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background secondary-color "#202020"

# GDM #

xhost +

sudo -u gdm gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-options "centered"
    sudo -u gdm gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file:///usr/share/plymouth/themes/charge/throbber-15.png"
    sudo -u gdm gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background primary-color "#202020"
    sudo -u gdm gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background secondary-color "#202020"
    Last edited by Cypher2; August 31st, 2012 at 09:04 PM.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast