Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: GNObuntu ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GNObuntu ?

Hey all Ubuntu guys and girls ( really like the last ones )

I've been spreading the word, hope the dev's don't mind. I think all Gnome fans need to know about GNObuntu.
    This has resulted in a few nice articles
    Look here:

GNOMEbuntu is set to arrive in October, 18!

GNOMEbuntu Will Be Available This October

GNOME-flavoured Ubuntu Spin Coming October 18th

Especially like the one from Muktware, very informative !

More good news, another developer has joined the team, Robert Ancell, thanks for joining the team.
    And Satyajit Sahoo is on hold, this could mean some serious artwork

And we are starting to get some code, look here:
    https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-gnome-dev

A new suggestion for a name could be uGuntu ?
    Suggested by frank_O from the Gnome board

Cheers !
    Last edited by Stinger; September 1st, 2012 at 05:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Been working on a clean server slate of gnobuntu using 12.04 as a base to test package behavior.

Maybe using the core desktop Ubuntu image for 12.10 and then adding the required packages by priority and config order would end up with a much cleaner result.

The base config for a functional but very bare desktop is core+gdm+gnome-shell+gnome-terminal.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    This has resulted in a few nice articles
    Look here:
    What's interesting there is 2 say it will go with the 3.6 nautilus, one says it will stick with the 3.4 one currently in use.
    I guess we'll see...

If going with the 3.6 then would be interesting to see how far else with 3.6. Nautilus has added some symbolic icons that would require a new glib or the current .10 glib patched. A new glib may then lead to some other packages needing updates ect.

(- here I've tried both ways, for the moment prefer a patched glib which works ok with the current naut git master & 3.4.3 totem/grilo-0.1/gstreamer0.10 ect.
    A new glib also worked fine with naut but not totem, needed a 3.5.90 totem/gstreamer1.0 which wants grilo-0.2 which doesn't work out so well atm (the plugins
    The newer sources are much better though I've no idea if there is an issue using them in 12.10. And as far as grilo-plugins, well Ubuntu doesn't seem to want to supply them anyway..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher2 View Post
    you can modify gdm by enabling the "xhost +" parameter and then launching dconf editor as "gdm" user.
    Instead of doing that, why don't you try editing /etc/gdm/greeter.gsettings and restarting gdm? Although slightly out of date, that's mentioned in /usr/share/doc/gdm/README.Debian

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    What's interesting there is 2 say it will go with the 3.6 nautilus, one says it will stick with the 3.4 one currently in use.
    The Ubuntu GNOME remix will be using Nautilus 3.4 since that's what will be in the Ubuntu archives. For those that want the 3.6 stuff that doesn't make it into 12.10, there's always the GNOME3 PPA. Since our goal is to be an official recognized flavor, we can't use PPAs.

Totem 3.6 will not be in Ubuntu 12.10 because it uses gstreamer1.0 and the Ubuntu CD will only include the older not-quite-compatible gstremaer0.10.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    The Ubuntu GNOME remix will be using Nautilus 3.4 since that's what will be in the Ubuntu archives. For those that want the 3.6 stuff that doesn't make it into 12.10, there's always the GNOME3 PPA. Since our goal is to be an official recognized flavor, we can't use PPAs.

Totem 3.6 will not be in Ubuntu 12.10 because it uses gstreamer1.0 and the Ubuntu CD will only include the older not-quite-compatible gstremaer0.10.
    I'm sorry to hear that we are now using Nautilus 3.4 and not will be using Totem 3.6, but I guess it comes down to If you want to be true to Ubuntu or you want to be true to Gnome.

Although "Ubuntu Gnome Remix" will give a cleaner Gnome experience it will not be a clean Gnome 3.6 and I thought the whole idea of GNObuntu was to follow the Gnome releases upstream ?
    Why should GNObuntu have to stick to the Ubuntu Gnome package versions ? As a separate spin, I think, it should use it's own packages on top of the Ubuntu base

Personally I would rather have an unofficial GNObuntu that follows the Gnome releases than have an official release thats gonna be a mix of Gnome 3.4 and 3.6
    Last edited by Stinger; September 2nd, 2012 at 11:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hey, can I help dev too? Or at least I can help testing. I'm good at testing you know Documentation is also my tea I actually want a GNOME ubuntu.
    As the Ubuntu Studio release manager and a Kubuntu developer, I do a lot of ISO testing and packaging.
    Make Ubuntu 13.10 awesome~!

Beans

Totem 3.6 is no longer maintained anyway. It is now called Videos.
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

Beans
    Distro

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    403 here, guess I don't get the idea ?

Beans
    Distro