Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: GNObuntu ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why becoming a recognized Ubuntu flavor matters

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    I think most Ubuntu users who are GNOME fans want there to be a successful and popular GNOME flavor of Ubuntu.

And if we're going to ship GNOME 3.6, we might as well ship all of it, right?

On the other hand, there are huge advantages to becoming an officially recognized Ubuntu flavor.
    I see your point, thank's for taking time to explain.
    I hope you don't mind my previously frustations

What about an agreement ?
    You go ahead with the official GNObuntu and we get all the goodies to make a clean upstream Gnome 3.6 in the
    ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 / ppa:ricotz/testing
    That'll be:
    Gnome-Shell, Nautilus, Gstreamer and Totem/Videos.
    Don't know if there is more missing on my list ?

Would that be agreeable To you, the developers ?
    Last edited by Stinger; September 3rd, 2012 at 05:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: GNObuntu ?

will we be able to upgrade to gnomebuntu from classic? I ask because once I had gnome-shell remix and it wasn't upgradeable I think it is now but not sure

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    will we be able to upgrade to gnomebuntu from classic? I ask because once I had gnome-shell remix and it wasn't upgradeable I think it is now but not sure
    That is not supported. Just like trying to "upgrade" from Ubuntu to Kubuntu isn't supported.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Gnome flavor

Jeremy,
    I understand your stand on this. Official recognition is really a good starting point.

We're splitting Ubuntu customizations into separate packages so that it's easier to get a purer GNOME for those that want it.
    This is great news! This was one of the major frustrations from a gnome user perspective (apart from keeping those unnecessary unity packages). The changes that ubuntu made to the gnome applications were spoiling the gnome experience.

Why don't we also remove those customisations by default, if we are splitting it into different packages?

One of the rules of official flavors is that they must not use PPAs.
    But then again, we are not really like 'other flavours'. We are sharing the same DE and as you said, too many packages with the official version. At the same time, both projects are moving in entirely different directions. So, if ubuntu has to have a vanilla gnome experience, there should be lot of adjustments to be made. Splitting the ubuntu changes etc. into different packages is a good start in this direction. In the long run, without those adjustments and a vanilla gnome experience, this spin-off has no relevance from a user stand point.

But I guess, we need more time and effort/discussions etc. for that to happen. Let's see how it goes; I am hopeful.

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: GNObuntu ?

Live session booted O.K. as far as I can tell, I'm not familiar with the remix.

I've a number of partitions quantal unity, lxde, gnome-shell/gdm, also precise for recovery, .... on a Aspire1 netbook. All running more or less like Alpha code does.

Manual install remix to a selected partition, as soon as I select EXT4 then Ubiquity crashes. Three times with as much variation as I could think of to get there. EXT3 same crash. I can't even get to select "format" before Ubiquity crashes.

what about update/upgrade to the live session? Oops, no way I could get wireless WPA with the intel N-1000 to connect. Apport won't report a bug unless internet is connected.

I joined the gnome remix team, at least the mailing list. Can't do much testing. Will try again in a few days.

Jerry

BTW, I'm not a purist. My preferred desktop on Quantal done by full install of quantal then apt-get install lxde on top. Still have the ubuntu applications & tools I use. I use 2D on precise. Yes my 3 test systems will run Unity then I switch to another desktop ASAP.

Beans
    Distro

Whoopsie!

n/m
    Last edited by VinDSL; September 4th, 2012 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Redacted

Beans

Re: Why becoming a recognized Ubuntu flavor matters

One complication is that we share a significant number of packages with the flagship Ubuntu image. That means that we have to compromise with them on some issues, like what versions of specific components we can ship. Generally, the Canonical Desktop Team has good reasons for holding back on components and I could do an entire article about those decisions. We did manage to push gnome-control-center 3.4 and gnome-shell 3.4 into Ubuntu 12.04. Even though it wasn't quite perfect, it was better for us than shipping 3.2 would have been.
    Just one question about this issue: isn't it possible to have both a nautilus3.4 package and a nautilus3.6 package in the repository, and maybe have a nautilus dummy package pointing to the nautilus3.4 one, just like for python versions? This way, ubuntu-gnome-desktop could depend on nautilus3.6 while unity depends on nautilus (hence nautilus3.4). And the same could be done for totem I guess.

Is it too much work? Or simply undoable for other reasons?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    What can I do to contribute to this project?
    I'm a Gnome shell fan and would love to see this become a successful official flavor.
    Hi cortman.

Please first join the Launchpad team on https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-gnome.
    Then
    1. Report bugs in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ReleaseNotes
    2. You can try to submit fixes for bugs. Go to https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-gnome-dev
    and work on it, you might even get in the team!!!
    3. We DO need some minimal art Help us!!!
    4. Contribute in anyway you think it is necessary

Regards,
    smartboyhw
    As the Ubuntu Studio release manager and a Kubuntu developer, I do a lot of ISO testing and packaging.
    Make Ubuntu 13.10 awesome~!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyhw View Post
    3. We DO need some minimal art Help us!!!
    As said before on this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    And Satyajit Sahoo is on hold, this could mean some serious artwork
    Why don't you guy's let Satyajit Sahoo inside, it's so obvious ?
    As you can se he's on the waiting list here
    Look at his page on deviantART
    I'm sure he can do the job

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    As said before on this thread.

Why don't you guy's let Satyajit Sahoo inside, it's so obvious ?
    As you can se he's on the waiting list here
    Look at his page on deviantART
    I'm sure he can do the job
    For the first part, I just copied it from the PM from jbicha.

For the second part, well, ask jbicha
    As the Ubuntu Studio release manager and a Kubuntu developer, I do a lot of ISO testing and packaging.
    Make Ubuntu 13.10 awesome~!

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast