Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: GNObuntu ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: GNObuntu ?

it doesn't get any better than this and by the way i get no unity updates coming in because I AM UNITY FREE! althou I test both desktops Unity in a separated HD and Gnome in another HD.They both work good it just a matter of taste...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyhw View Post
    Stinger: You mean you don't like the current version of GNOMEbuntu that jbicha is developing? Also can anyone tell me who is the developer of the ORIGINAL Ubuntu Gnome-shell Remix???
    I like the effort Jeremy is putting into the project, but I don't like the fact that "Ubuntu Gnome Remix" is using the Gnome package versions from Ubuntu and not it's own.

As said earlier on this thread, the Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix is an unofficial spin by Jan Hoffmann
    BTW. The "Ubuntu Gnome Remix" seems to use his livecd-script as base for their own creation.
    Last edited by Stinger; September 3rd, 2012 at 10:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    I like the effort Jeremy is putting into the project, but I don't like the fact that "Ubuntu Gnome Remix" is using the Gnome package versions from Ubuntu and not it's own.

As said earlier on this thread, the Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix is an unofficial spin by Jan Hoffmann
    BTW. The "Ubuntu Gnome Remix" seems to use his livecd-script as base for their own creation.
    Stinger: Do you know Jeremy's nick on IRC? Also, thanks for telling me who is the dev
    As the Ubuntu Studio release manager and a Kubuntu developer, I do a lot of ISO testing and packaging.
    Make Ubuntu 13.10 awesome~!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by floydsp View Post
    lets us know Stinger if you come up with something..best of luck

floydsp
    Will do so soon
    Maybe I have lost this fight, but I'm NOT gonna lose the entire battle 8)
    Stay tuned all you faithful fans of Gnome and Ubuntu

Beans

Even I am disappointed now that Jeremy replied that Gnome ubuntu will have an amalgamation of 3.4/3.6. I was so excited initially. Now this just feels like gnome shell/applications installed on top of ubuntu. But we know that thats no where close to the vanilla gnome. I am thinking about following the server iso and gnome install method, instead.

Beans
    Distro

Anyway if you're interested in Jeremy's project please join https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-gnome
    As the Ubuntu Studio release manager and a Kubuntu developer, I do a lot of ISO testing and packaging.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Why can Kubuntu, Lubuntu and Xubuntu have their own upstream versions of their desktop environments and GNObuntu cannot ??

I'll try a different approach.
    Maybe I have lost this fight, but I'm NOT gonna lose the entire battle
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher2 View Post
    nothing stops us from branching it into a true gnome ubuntu... i know i can get mine running off a server core image within 30 minutes - pure gnome.
    Well, why can't we get the server install method by Cypher2 into a vanilla gnome version? That will be far better than the current version ubuntu or the ubuntu-gnome one. May be we can get help from the person behind gnome shell remix and get it released as gnome shell remix or any other name. I will try to contact him.

Anyone in this? Cypher2, can you help us?
    Stay tuned all you faithful fans of Gnome and Ubuntu
    We are, for sure!
    Don't just close this thread, just rename it. If you are trying to get the official approval somehow, that will be wonderful. Anyways keep us informed.

Beans
    Distro

Why becoming a recognized Ubuntu flavor matters

I think most Ubuntu users who are GNOME fans want there to be a successful and popular GNOME flavor of Ubuntu.

And if we're going to ship GNOME 3.6, we might as well ship all of it, right?

On the other hand, there are huge advantages to becoming an officially recognized Ubuntu flavor.

• Canonical will supply the bandwidth for our images so that we don't have to force our users to use torrents.
    • Official daily images (For 12.10, since we're unofficial we may only have as few official images as one Alpha, one Beta, and a final build.)
    • Canonical builds the images for us, which saves a huge amount of time and effort and will end up significantly improving the quality of the images.
    • Equal status with the other recognized flavors
    • Far more users, as it's easier for users to use our releases and our releases are more trusted since they are coming from ubuntu.com infrastructure.
    • More consideration for bugs that badly affect the GNOME remix (or similar GNOME remixes)
    • I believe an official Ubuntu GNOME flavor will get more attention than UGR or the Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix got.

We will have a better, more successful product if we are a recognized flavor.

One of the rules of official flavors is that they must not use PPAs. It's hard enough to become a recognized flavor without trying to bend the rules.

One complication is that we share a significant number of packages with the flagship Ubuntu image. That means that we have to compromise with them on some issues, like what versions of specific components we can ship. Generally, the Canonical Desktop Team has good reasons for holding back on components and I could do an entire article about those decisions. We did manage to push gnome-control-center 3.4 and gnome-shell 3.4 into Ubuntu 12.04. Even though it wasn't quite perfect, it was better for us than shipping 3.2 would have been.

In fact, last cycle the stated plan was to ship 3.2 with some pieces of 3.4 let in. I feel we basically reversed that with only a few pieces of 3.2 left in. It's a give and take relationship and we're able to influence what GNOME and Ubuntu do. We have much more influence as insiders than as outsiders. The GNOME remix isn't the only flavor to be affected by Canonical decisions: the Xubuntu developers had to rescue the GTK2 indicators as Canonical dropped them from the archives. (There was coordination and discussion ahead of time, but it still was extra work for Xubuntu).

For those who want the rest of 3.6, it's very easy to install (& I believe it will be quite safe) to install the few remaining pieces from the GNOME3 PPA. Here's how to do so from the command line (GUI instructions aren't much harder):
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    The work we're doing on the GNOME Remix significantly benefits all other GNOME remixes. We're splitting Ubuntu customizations into separate packages so that it's easier to get a purer GNOME for those that want it. Any GNOME Remix can take our spin as a base and wouldn't need to make near as many changes.

If you're going to make a remixed GNOME remix that only has the GNOME3 PPA added, I don't think that's worth the effort.
    Last edited by jbicha; September 3rd, 2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added Xubuntu anecdote

Beans
    Distro

Re: Why becoming a recognized Ubuntu flavor matters

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    I think most Ubuntu users who are GNOME fans want there to be a successful and popular GNOME flavor of Ubuntu.

And if we're going to ship GNOME 3.6, we might as well ship all of it, right?

On the other hand, there are huge advantages to becoming an officially recognized Ubuntu flavor.

• Canonical will supply the bandwidth for our images so that we don't have to force our users to use torrents.
    • Official daily images (For 12.10, since we're unofficial we may only have as few official images as one Alpha, one Beta, and a final build.)
    • Canonical builds the images for us, which saves a huge amount of time and effort and will end up significantly improving the quality of the images.
    • Equal status with the other recognized flavors
    • Far more users, as it's easier for users to use our releases and our releases are more trusted since they are coming from ubuntu.com infrastructure.
    • More consideration for bugs that badly affect the GNOME remix (or similar GNOME remixes)
    • I believe an official Ubuntu GNOME flavor will get more attention than UGR or the Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix got.

We will have a better, more successful product if we are a recognized flavor.

One of the rules of official flavors is that they must not use PPAs. It's hard enough to become a recognized flavor without trying to bend the rules.

One complication is that we share a significant number of packages with the flagship Ubuntu image. That means that we have to compromise with them on some issues, like what versions of specific components we can ship. Generally, the Canonical Desktop Team has good reasons for holding back on components and I could do an entire article about those decisions. We did manage to push gnome-control-center 3.4 and gnome-shell 3.4 into Ubuntu 12.04. Even though it wasn't quite perfect, it was better for us than shipping 3.2 would have been.

In fact, last cycle the stated plan was to ship 3.2 with some pieces of 3.4 let in. I feel we basically reversed that with only a few pieces of 3.2 left in. It's a give and take relationship and we're able to influence what GNOME and Ubuntu do. We have much more influence as insiders than as outsiders. The GNOME remix isn't the only flavor to be affected by Canonical decisions: the Xubuntu developers had to rescue the GTK2 indicators as Canonical dropped them from the archives. (There was coordination and discussion ahead of time, but it still was extra work for Xubuntu).

For those who want the rest of 3.6, it's very easy to install (& I believe it will be quite safe) to install the few remaining pieces from the GNOME3 PPA. Here's how to do so from the command line (GUI instructions aren't much harder):
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    The work we're doing on the GNOME Remix significantly benefits all other GNOME remixes. We're splitting Ubuntu customizations into separate packages so that it's easier to get a purer GNOME for those that want it. Any GNOME Remix can take our spin as a base and wouldn't need to make near as many changes.

If you're going to make a remixed GNOME remix that only has the GNOME3 PPA added, I don't think that's worth the effort.
    I absolutely agree. Just install the whole thing yourself. It isn't a problem of having only part of 3.6.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What can I do to contribute to this project?
    I'm a Gnome shell fan and would love to see this become a successful official flavor.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast