Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What distro should I switch to?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What distro should I switch to?

Hi there. I'm not trying to flame, annoy, or anything else. This is an honest question and I know that the Ubuntu community is great, so I hope that you can help me.

Anyway, I want to switch distros and am hoping that you can advise me on a good one to switch to. Below I list the things that I like and dislike about Ubuntu.

Free (and gratis) software
    Synaptic/Easy package management
    Excellent and friendly community
    Gnome
    Drivers for up-to-date hardware

Dislikes:
    6-month release cycle
    No security updates in that cycle (that is, I don't get real up to date software until the next update)
    Unity (I think that Canonical is going to start focusing too much on Unity on various platforms and too little on the Desktop)
    General "Jazz" of the new releases
    Ubuntu One/having social networking forced on me

So, I guess what I am looking for is a distro that is equally friendly and usable, but requires system updates less frequently. Also, I would very much like updates for the *packages* more frequently, so that I get security updates for important things as they arrive. For example, I don't want to be on Firefox 6 when Firefox 8 was released two weeks ago. I do not want a rolling release; stability is very important to me. Also, I really don't want anything that is corporatized. If all else fails, I would be willing to go for a rolling release, but I would call myself on a scale of 1 to 10 perhaps a 6 in terms of my Linux knowledge. (Have worked with it, have a BSCS, but not too much).

Perhaps OpenSuse?

Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Distro

Re: What distro should I switch to?

Quote Originally Posted by josephellengar View Post
    No security updates in that cycle (that is, I don't get real up to date software until the next update)
    /facepalm

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    /facepalm
    Why? Firefox 3.6 is in Synaptic for me. (10.10) Firefox 8 is out. Calibre 0.7.18 in Synaptic. Calibre 0.8.26 is out. Openoffice 1.3 in Synaptic; Openoffice 3.3 is out. You get the idea.

Beans
    Distro

That has nothing to do with "security updates".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    That has nothing to do with "security updates".
    Whatever. I say that Firefox 8 is more secure than Firefox 3.6. I was talking about the repository software specifically. Do you have suggestions or are you just nitpicking my language?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi there. I'm not trying to flame, annoy, or anything else. This is an honest question and I know that the Ubuntu community is great, so I hope that you can help me.

Anyway, I want to switch distros and am hoping that you can advise me on a good one to switch to. Below I list the things that I like and dislike about Ubuntu.

Free (and gratis) software
    Synaptic/Easy package management
    Excellent and friendly community
    Gnome
    Drivers for up-to-date hardware

Dislikes:
    6-month release cycle
    Unity (I think that Canonical is going to start focusing too much on Unity on various platforms and too little on the Desktop)
    General "Jazz" of the new releases
    Ubuntu One/having social networking forced on me

So, I guess what I am looking for is a distro that is equally friendly and usable, but requires system updates less frequently. Also, I would very much like updates for the *packages* more frequently, so that I get security updates for important things as they arrive. For example, I don't want to be on Firefox 6 when Firefox 8 was released two weeks ago. I do not want a rolling release; stability is very important to me. Also, I really don't want anything that is corporatized. If all else fails, I would be willing to go for a rolling release, but I would call myself on a scale of 1 to 10 perhaps a 6 in terms of my Linux knowledge. (Have worked with it, have a BSCS, but not too much).

Perhaps OpenSuse?

Thanks for the help!
    Use debian.

The current version is Debian Squeeze.
    When you finish downloading, just edit /etc/apt/sources.list, and change "squeeze" to "stable". Now, you will have stable easy rolling releases. Normally, you would have to upgrade from squeeze to whatever the next version is. Now, the packages simply update to the new release by themselves without your intervention. Nothing else needs to be done about the rolling releases, they will just go and go and go....

Debian is also very clean and minimalistic. None of that social networking crap that comes bundeled in with other linux distros.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    Use debian.

When you finish downloading, just edit /etc/apt/sources.list, and change "squeeze" to "stable". Now, you will have stable easy rolling releases. Normally, you would have to upgrade from squeeze to whatever the next version is. Now, the packages simply update to the new release by themselves without your intervention. Nothing else needs to be done about the rolling releases, they will just go and go and go....

Debian is also very clean and minimalistic. None of that social networking crap that comes bundeled in with other linux distros.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I was actually looking at Arch for the same minimalist reasons, but was worried I might not be competent enough. Does Debian have the same access to all of the packages that Ubuntu has? Specifically, I use some Qt software, like Kmymoney, that I can't go without. Among other things like LibreOffice. Is the software library the same size (or nearly so)? Otherwise, it's pretty similar to Ubuntu, right? Is there anything else that I should know before I make the switch? Of course I will test it on LiveCD first just to see.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    Use debian.

I agree with Debian as the suggestion.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Well you do get security updates, what you don't get are feature updates. But there are ppas for most softwares if you want up to date features and bug fixes (Ubuntu does provides bug fixes if they are security related, but only those).

As for the 6 month release cycle, you don't have to update/upgrade your OS every 6 months though if you don't want to. Regular releases are supported for 18 months. People who upgrade every 6 months do so by chioce. Personally I think it is crazy to tie your update schedule to Ubuntu's release cycle. For one thing new releases tend to be buggy, it takes a month or two for the OS to become mature and solid, ppas to be set up etc, why would you want to trade in a version just when its rough edges got ironed out for the next beta quality offer?

If you dislike Unity you can try other DEs like gnome shell, xfce, KDE or LXDE.
    Last edited by beew; November 14th, 2011 at 05:13 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for the suggestion! I was actually looking at Arch for the same minimalist reasons, but was worried I might not be competent enough. Does Debian have the same access to all of the packages that Ubuntu has? Specifically, I use some Qt software, like Kmymoney, that I can't go without. Among other things like LibreOffice. Is the software library the same size (or nearly so)? Otherwise, it's pretty similar to Ubuntu, right? Is there anything else that I should know before I make the switch? Of course I will test it on LiveCD first just to see.
    Ubuntu is based on debian unstable. Theirs a few weird ubuntu-only packages, but those are the unity, gwibber packages, so it shouldn't bother you.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast