Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CIFS, autofs - doesn't work on 12.04, but worked on 10.04!

Beans

Question CIFS, autofs - doesn't work on 12.04, but worked on 10.04!

Hello,
    after unsuccessful attempts to solve the problem, I'm asking for your help!

I'm trying to mount CIFS shares from Samba server automatically using autofs.

It works with manual command:
    sudo mount -t cifs -o user=uusrs,password=passwd,uid=uusrs,gid=uusrs,fil e_mode=0600,dir_mode=0755 //darkstar/music /home/uusrs/@/music

However, I can't have it mount automatically with autofs.
    I used it for several years already, and it worked on Ubuntu 10.04. I do the same on Ubuntu 12.04, and it doesn't work.

What I did:

I added the following to /etc/auto.master:
    /home/uusrs/@ /etc/auto.uusrs --timeout=60 --ghost

I created /etc/auto.uusrs. It contains:
    music -fstype=cifs,credentials=/etc/auto.uusrs.cred,uid=uusrs,gid=uusrs,file_mode=0600 ,dir_mode=0755 ://darkstar/music

/etc/auto.uusrs.cred contains:
    username=uusrs
    password=passwd

Also, I added a string:
    automount: nis files to /etc/nsswitch.conf

However, when I run
    sudo service autofs start I see autofs start/running, process 12381

but my /home/uusrs/@/music directory is empty. I checked /var/log/syslog and seen
    ypbind[925]: broadcast: RPC: Timed out. I guess ypbind problem is not necessary the reason because manual mount command works. And exactly the same autofs settings worked on Ubuntu 10.04!

Could you please help solve the problem?

Thank you!

Beans

Re: CIFS, autofs - doesn't work on 12.04, but worked on 10.04!

Hello!

Maybe someone can point to a guide on how to implement auto mount of Samba shares in Ubuntu 12.04?

Old guides do not apply because I implemented it in 10.04 but the same procedures do not work in 12.04. Maybe there is a step by step guide written specifically for 12.04?

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm having similar problem on 12.04.
    Same commands i used with success on 11.10 do not work on 12.04.
    Now i have no autofs since i could not make it works.
    Using fstab works fine, but it's not what i really want.

Still looking for a solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm having the same problem, and it really is an issue for me. Anybody figured out what was wrong and how to solve it?
    Thanks!!

(I'll add that it did work on 12.04 as configured with successive upgrades. After a clean install, it's broken...).
    Last edited by kalyp; July 16th, 2012 at 07:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kalyp View Post
    I'm having the same problem, and it really is an issue for me. Anybody figured out what was wrong and how to solve it?
    Thanks!!

(I'll add that it did work on 12.04 as configured with successive upgrades. After a clean install, it's broken...).
    This may be 2 or more problems with 1 underlying root cause. The root cause seems to be timing of the various services. AutoFS needs networking to function and won't start without it. The first problems in this thread deal with NIS (ypbind). The others may be due to Network Manager. Eithe way this is due to the change to Upstart for starting services.

See here and here for Upstart bugs that are related to this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not sure this is the same problem? Both seem to be linked to autofs not starting (I was not aware that autofs was linked to login issues BTW? since autofs needs to be installed manually, it shouldn't be required to log in?).

In my case, autofs is running (sudo start autofs replies that it's already running). But the location where the mounts should be is empty (as if the ghost option didn't work) and manually looking into the (possibly hidden) directories says they don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by redmk2 View Post
    This may be 2 or more problems with 1 underlying root cause. The root cause seems to be timing of the various services. AutoFS needs networking to function and won't start without it. The first problems in this thread deal with NIS (ypbind). The others may be due to Network Manager. Eithe way this is due to the change to Upstart for starting services.

See here and here for Upstart bugs that are related to this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi uusrs.

After a quick look to your first post, it looks like you are not using the proper syntax for the auto.uusrs file. The mount options should be on the end of the line.

Could you post both autofs files, but now using code tags so we can take a detail look at them?

Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm not sure this is the same problem?
    I was responding to your...
    I'm having the same problem.
    If you are having a different problem then I would start a new thread.
    Both seem to be linked to autofs not starting (I was not aware that autofs was linked to login issues BTW? since autofs needs to be installed manually, it shouldn't be required to log in?).
    It's not related to login. It is related to the order and timing of processes being brought up. If autofs requires interfaces to be up before launching then they have to be up. If Network Manager (for example) requires you to login before you have an interface up, then you have a problem that you need to resolve.

In my case, autofs is running (sudo start autofs replies that it's already running). But the location where the mounts should be is empty (as if the ghost option didn't work) and manually looking into the (possibly hidden) directories says they don't exist.
    Sounds like a configuration problem. I would start a new thread for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It is the same problem as uusrs, who started this thread. And probably same as quirino77 as well. In particular his
    "However, when I run
    sudo service autofs start
    I see autofs start/running, process 12381
    but my /home/uusrs/@/music directory is empty."
    It is exactly my problem - autofs is running, with the same configuration files that used to work, but now the directory is empty. It could be a configuration problem, except that I use exactly the same files (auto.master and auto.nfs - when I say exactly I mean it, the files are on my ubuntu one and locally I only have links to those) in a different computer running 11.04, and they work just fine.

What I meant is that I am not sure the problem associated with the links you sent is the same as uusrs and mine.

Quote Originally Posted by redmk2 View Post
    I was responding to your...If you are having a different problem then I would start a new thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It is the same problem as uusrs, who started this thread. And probably same as quirino77 as well. In particular his
    "However, when I run
    sudo service autofs start
    I see autofs start/running, process 12381
    but my /home/uusrs/@/music directory is empty."
    It is exactly my problem - autofs is running, with the same configuration files that used to work, but now the directory is empty. It could be a configuration problem, except that I use exactly the same files (auto.master and auto.nfs - when I say exactly I mean it, the files are on my ubuntu one and locally I only have links to those) in a different computer running 11.04, and they work just fine.

What I meant is that I am not sure the problem associated with the links you sent is the same as uusrs and mine.
    Are you running NIS and mounting a home directory? Did you look at the bug reports?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast