Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 “Try Ubuntu without installing” results in graphical artifacts on MacBookPro 5,

Beans

12.04 “Try Ubuntu without installing” results in graphical artifacts on MacBookPro 5,

Hello, I am trying to bless my MacBookPro 5,3 (Unibody/Core2Duo/Nvidia 9400M+Nvidia 9600M GT) with Ubuntu 12.04 (already got refit running), but everytime i select Try Ubuntu without installing, it will lockup and always give me the same coloured graphical artifacts all over the screen. Whether i use a CD-ROM or a USB Stick, it does not change a thing.

1) http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/p6080962.jpg/
    2) http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/266/p6080964.jpg/

Is there anything else that can be done or am i stuck for now? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.04 “Try Ubuntu without installing” results in graphical artifacts on MacBookPr

Have you tried to add:

Code:
    nomodeset xforcevesa
    ... to the boot options in the initial screen (the one where you can select the language, etc. etc.)?

Beans

Re: 12.04 “Try Ubuntu without installing” results in graphical artifacts on MacBookPr

Thanks, i think i once got a screen, where i can select languages by booting from the cd rom, but i dunno if i can get back there. Thing is it will just go into a loop of itself, when i turn it on and i dont wanna have to force out the CD again.
    Btw thanks for that. Gave me the shock.

The way i do it now is choose the usb stick from rEFIt and then i land directly, where i can choose from the 3 options.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/p6080962.jpg/

How can i change boot options from there?

Thanks.
    Last edited by jonas2012; June 8th, 2012 at 07:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Maybe this could work: select Try Ubuntu without installing and hit the E key to edit the boot options.

Worth a try, anyway...

P.S.: I also found this interesting link:

http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/...it%20Mode.html

... which might be useful for additional information on this.
    Last edited by EuroCity; June 8th, 2012 at 07:23 PM.

Beans

Ok i got it (sorry for being blind), but now it says error unknown command
    nomodeset/xforcevesa , when i put it in the lowest line.

PS: Md5 is correct.
    Last edited by jonas2012; June 8th, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You should put those parameters in the line containing also "quiet splash" and so on.

Maybe try only with nomodeset the first time...?

(It's difficult to say something more precise, without more info.)

Beans

How exactly?

"quiet splash -- nomodeset"?

Im starting to get the feeling it is very hard to get some actual information on how to install ubuntu on a macbook 5,3 with dual graphic.

I dont know anymore which way is the best.

For example just found out there is talk of a mac.iso, which exist, but i can only download the amd64.iso on the frontpage.

And then i read there are diffrent methods of booting Ubuntu on macs.

One site says i gotta install windows first and then it takes that as an advantage to boot from and then x feature will work, but y feature wont. And when i go the other route ubuntu might trash my mac installation.
    And my head just starts to spin.

I already put it on pc, but this is madness.
    Last edited by jonas2012; June 8th, 2012 at 08:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, exactly: you should add nomodeset and/or other boot options right after the "--" (of course, with a space in-between).

The Mac ISO, available from here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04/release

... should be better suited for modern, 64-bit Intel Macs.

IIRC, you should also be able to bypass the Grub boot menu by holding down the C key when booting from the live CD: this, after hitting any key, should take you to the "real" CD boot screen (the one where you can select the language, etc. etc.), which might be simpler (by hitting F6, one can choose additional boot options directly from a menu).
    Last edited by EuroCity; June 8th, 2012 at 09:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro

BTW, here is an interesting page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

... where all this is explained for the live CD's boot screen; especially this:

... might be useful (see also the various boot options worth trying, if there still are problems).
    Last edited by EuroCity; June 8th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.

Beans

Thanks, Acpi=off parameter works with the alternative iso.
    Last edited by jonas2012; June 8th, 2012 at 10:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast