Thread: Intermittent connection drops (12.04, two different sets of hardware, Draytek router)

Beans

Intermittent connection drops (12.04, two different sets of hardware, Draytek router)

Having a very strange problem with Ubuntu 12.04.

On the whole it connects to the internet fine, but every now and again when I try to use a website (even Google) it will instantly fail and say that the server is not responding. After a few attempts to refresh, it usually works.

We're talking maybe 1 in 10 or 1 in 20, but it happens frequently enough to be annoying.

Here's the thing:
    They are two completely different machines. One is a home built desktop (Hackintosh) with a wired network. One is a MacBook Air 4,2 with its Broadcom Wifi. It happens with both Firefox and Chrome.
    It's fine under OS X and Windows.

There is no physical connection drop i.e. the wifi stays connected on the laptop and there is no "cable has been removed" message on the desktop or anything like that.

Personally I think that rules out the hardware and drivers, which leaves me with the network infrastructure.
    Anyone know of any compatibility problems between Ubuntu/Linux networking and Draytek 2830 series routers, perhaps? (I have updated the router firmware to no avail). These routers, whilst reliable, are admittedly known for these strange little bugs.
    Last edited by Cloudane; June 8th, 2012 at 12:41 AM.